(3.3) [Chieftain] Thermomix The second, WIP updating

"
hey OP i did put some effort into the maths of RF damage + Vortex Damage (yea i'm a maths guy)
first of all to clear your confusion, vortex is not about the cold DoT, this is nothing compared to ignite.
and the result is following, without changing any gear, only helmet gems, and using your 1000 STR + 9000 Life. Enemy's fire res considered 30% (like atziri e.g.):

RF DPS: 79k (RF in helmet with conc effect, inc burn dmg, ele focus)
vortex initial hit: 38,5k average on a 6L (Vortex-Conc Effect-Fire Pen-Iron Will-Controlled Des-Chance to Ignite) and 64% chance to ignite, which is enough.
ignite dps: 259k
ignite dps: 308k with full scorching ray debuff

total 1 second burst damage: 1,5M

[1 second burst damage consists of RF DPS, a vortex cast, followed by it's ignite's full duration]

for a comparison i did build earlier an elementalist with 10k ES, pure vortex caster and same vortex ignite mechanics which has a total 1 second burst damage of 2,5M. so 66% more damage, which is a lot. on the other hand this character is wielding a staff, pretty squishy and no other defensive mechanics like leech or regen.

so vortexing on your char is solid.
last league i was farming shaper with a trap ignite build and it had a 1 second burst damage of 3,6M which was good for shaper farming. so i think 1,5M is a bit low for shaper farming but for mapping it's quite good.

i can't imagine your build could really beat uber atziri tho because 2nd vaal is ignite immune, 3rd trio boss is ignite immune and atziri herself (not split phase) is ignite immune. and i doubt that there is enough damage without ignite just by firestorm+fb casting but I would love to be proven wrong. the defensive capabilities are on the other hand veeeery great for this build so it would stand much longer in hard fights.

at the moment i have a molten striker with poison (2,5M pure DPS, with full poison duration it's 8,3M damage; 450% more than your vortex variant) and with this numbers you can instantkill atziri's split phase. everything below must be very hard when you're not very tanky

in case of interest:
my ignite trapper
my molten striker

Im sorry but i think exchange the FB + FS with vortex wont make it better. heres the problem.
1. Pyre ring only convert cold dmg to fire dmg. cold DoT effect wont be changed to fire DoT

2. AoF will hurt the vortex DotS dmg by half. you can change the amulet, but still...you lose Str and Life.

3. We have no slot left to place ring for stats, drop max life to 200-450Life. we can drop the essence ring and respec around 6point for Blood Magic nodes and spend on 5% max life per node around Constitusion Keystone. (only loss 5%).

4.If we take respec blood magic route. we cant sustain the mana for stacking vortex (for boss). we can use blood magic support gem and waste precious socket.

Unless you have know all that, and have calculate it. its sure a good exchange. but thats gonna be a lot different build. CMIIW newb here:p
Last edited by arclordz on Jan 10, 2017, 9:25:58 AM
"
arclordz wrote:

Ahh, yes..i feel that too, the immortal call. Yeah maybe i should drop it. i probably should drop the shield charge too, i hardly use it now. any suggestion on lvl 20 CwDT? do we need to link defensive gem? (frost wall/phasing run) or offensive one? (vaal detonates dead, abyssal cry)

any thought on replacing my shield charge setup for vaal RF? lol

Well, i have been fiddling with different setups for even more survivability and i found that i just cant utilize the scorching ray totem effectively. Where i can use it, palace dom, plateau, gorge, generally bosses that doesnt focus the totem or dont kill it with aoe, i simply dont need it. Where it would be beneficial the boss or the ads take care of it way too quickly for it to matter. Hence i dropped it and replaced it with yet another CWDT setup. Lv20 Cwdt, enfeeble, Arctic breath, Stone golem.
I placed back the molten shell into doon, netting me 46k avg damage.

So far i feel that the addition of enfeeble and the chilled ground proved to be insanely useful against certain bosses or in situations where the game decides to drop to 0 fps. I am dying a lot as i am trying to measure the very limits of the build, and i have managed to stay alive in situations where i could not previously(mostly breaches where you have no control over what happens anymore).

I am also testing a Leo modded shield, 1100 ar, 100hp 50str 19% reduced dot damage taken. It is very useful in areas where dot damage can be bothersome, and certain combination of bosses are just a pain to deal with in general, for example overgrown ruin, rigwald. If the map has truly crazy damage mods, i can just disable RF, replace PoF with determination and have 27k armour sitting still. With the shield i ended up with 9600 hp and 1060str, 2-3 levels and i would breach 10k.
ign:Aka/WindREEP/Equoris/DevilsmilE/TheLastHour/BigFuckinMaulMan and a lot more.
"
DevilsmilE wrote:

Well, i have been fiddling with different setups for even more survivability and i found that i just cant utilize the scorching ray totem effectively. Where i can use it, palace dom, plateau, gorge, generally bosses that doesnt focus the totem or dont kill it with aoe, i simply dont need it. Where it would be beneficial the boss or the ads take care of it way too quickly for it to matter. Hence i dropped it and replaced it with yet another CWDT setup. Lv20 Cwdt, enfeeble, Arctic breath, Stone golem.
I placed back the molten shell into doon, netting me 46k avg damage.

So far i feel that the addition of enfeeble and the chilled ground proved to be insanely useful against certain bosses or in situations where the game decides to drop to 0 fps. I am dying a lot as i am trying to measure the very limits of the build, and i have managed to stay alive in situations where i could not previously(mostly breaches where you have no control over what happens anymore).

I am also testing a Leo modded shield, 1100 ar, 100hp 50str 19% reduced dot damage taken. It is very useful in areas where dot damage can be bothersome, and certain combination of bosses are just a pain to deal with in general, for example overgrown ruin, rigwald. If the map has truly crazy damage mods, i can just disable RF, replace PoF with determination and have 27k armour sitting still. With the shield i ended up with 9600 hp and 1060str, 2-3 levels and i would breach 10k.

As far as i know, RF is not a Dots but Degen right?, which is why our biggest enemy is lightning dmg as it ramp up our damage taken percentage, which mean increased degen effect from RF. still cant find a way to mitigate that beside using flask.

my char dying a lot too..even im not hit lvl90 yet, i still try to run different combination which one is better. turns out theorycrafting is fun :D
with about 8 socket left, im still swapping gem setup which one best combination for stable end-game experience.

about casting speed earlier, ever thought about using blood rage? is 12% cast speed worth to sacrifice our regen? when i use that i feel like my regen is only used for sustaining RF, cant replenish my life fast. mostly i got my life back by life leech from FB and FS.
Last edited by arclordz on Jan 10, 2017, 10:30:37 AM
"
Vortex Math
hey OP i did put some effort into the maths of RF damage + Vortex Damage (yea i'm a maths guy)
first of all to clear your confusion, vortex is not about the cold DoT, this is nothing compared to ignite.
and the result is following, without changing any gear, only helmet gems, and using your 1000 STR + 9000 Life. Enemy's fire res considered 30% (like atziri e.g.):

RF DPS: 79k (RF in helmet with conc effect, inc burn dmg, ele focus)
vortex initial hit: 38,5k average on a 6L (Vortex-Conc Effect-Fire Pen-Iron Will-Controlled Des-Chance to Ignite) and 64% chance to ignite, which is enough.
ignite dps: 259k
ignite dps: 308k with full scorching ray debuff

total 1 second burst damage: 1,5M

[1 second burst damage consists of RF DPS, a vortex cast, followed by it's ignite's full duration]

for a comparison i did build earlier an elementalist with 10k ES, pure vortex caster and same vortex ignite mechanics which has a total 1 second burst damage of 2,5M. so 66% more damage, which is a lot. on the other hand this character is wielding a staff, pretty squishy and no other defensive mechanics like leech or regen.

so vortexing on your char is solid.
last league i was farming shaper with a trap ignite build and it had a 1 second burst damage of 3,6M which was good for shaper farming. so i think 1,5M is a bit low for shaper farming but for mapping it's quite good.

i can't imagine your build could really beat uber atziri tho because 2nd vaal is ignite immune, 3rd trio boss is ignite immune and atziri herself (not split phase) is ignite immune. and i doubt that there is enough damage without ignite just by firestorm+fb casting but I would love to be proven wrong. the defensive capabilities are on the other hand veeeery great for this build so it would stand much longer in hard fights.

at the moment i have a molten striker with poison (2,5M pure DPS, with full poison duration it's 8,3M damage; 450% more than your vortex variant) and with this numbers you can instantkill atziri's split phase. everything below must be very hard when you're not very tanky

in case of interest:
my ignite trapper
my molten striker

Hello, while your math about vortex is very appealing, the main reason it doesnt really apply to this build is that we are not ignite focused by any means, if that was the case i would be running a different build. Honestly, it would be great for boss killing but it would mean i would have to sacrifice other things to get it going, as i have 0 cast speed i would need the CWC setup, otherwise a single cast would take so long it would literally kill us in fast response situations. If i were to use cwc then, i would have to invest into ignite in the tree, resulting in minus 1,5-2k life, compromising our survivability going against the very nature of it.

My idea was to make the build as tanky as possible, stacking up str/life/regen to amounts i could not before, while achieving damage that can still melt content except for a few endgame bosses.

My problem with über was naivety. I thought that hurrdurr im tanky i dont need lightning mitigation for vaals. That was my problem and my stubbornness as i refused to buy a topaz( as i didnt have one at the time) and saffel for additional mitigation. I had 1 portal left when i did and i successfully managed to kill both vaals. The problem was mostly me not the build, next time around i will be grabbing a purity of lightning on top of saffels, probably not using RF as i am unable to burst it down with the current setup then i rather be mostly unkillable. I do not see trio being a problem, ignite immunity doesnt really hinder my damage as with mobile bosses im mostly relying on firestorm rather than flameblast to deal damage. If i manage to get to atziri then its already a win, that is the part i havent been able to do before.

Overall, thank you for the feedback!
I really appreciate different views as it helps me try out things i didnt even think of before.
ign:Aka/WindREEP/Equoris/DevilsmilE/TheLastHour/BigFuckinMaulMan and a lot more.
Last edited by DevilsmilE on Jan 10, 2017, 10:44:16 AM
"
arclordz wrote:

As far as i know, RF is not a Dots but Degen right?, which is why our biggest enemy is lightning dmg as it ramp up our damage taken percentage, which mean increased degen effect from RF. still cant find a way to mitigate that beside using flask.

my char dying a lot too..even im not hit lvl90 yet, i still try to run different combination which one is better. turns out theorycrafting is fun :D
with about 8 socket left, im still swapping gem setup which one best combination for stable end-game experience.

about casting speed earlier, ever thought about using blood rage? is 12% cast speed worth to sacrifice our regen? when i use that i feel like my regen is only used for sustaining RF, cant replenish my life fast. mostly i got my life back by life leech from FB and FS.

RF is most definitely damage over time(rembember vulnerability and its effect on rf?), as the shield lets me run it just like RotP, the only downside is that im no longer "fire immune" and my regen on top of Rf is a little bit less, on the otherhand it helps a lot against chaos clouds, poison and bleed, thats why i found it useful against rigwald and overgrown ruin bosses. As for lightning damage, i have to wholeheartedly agree about it being a problem, thats why im generally just popping my dousing eternal in esh breaches where i see the monster that casts the lightning orbs, when it hits its too late. Honestly i dont think there is even a way to mitigate these without flasks, thats why we have them. A good idea would be replacing our quicksilver with anything that gives shock immunity, could be the same flask even, to deal with shocked ground maps, tho honestly i never felt those are an issue.

As for bloodrage, i have been thinking about it a lot, my guildie made joke that whether i was going to brainstorm another 2 days on this iteration like i did on the original how to incorporate bloodrage into the build. Honestly i think it could be easily added, maybe even finding a pair of boots with our needs and +1 frenzy for that. Tho i would add it would have to be placed into our shield so weapon swap would clear it on demand.
Updated gem section a bit with a few things i have had great success with.
Just done my first hydra, after i got the hang of it could even run RF. Deathless ofc.

Edit: unfortunately couldnt record it as i forgot to set it to fullscreen, would crash if i were to do it ingame.
Last edited by DevilsmilE on Jan 10, 2017, 3:21:07 PM
Just hit the best enchant for the build on boots, carried gf in über lab, bought a twice enchanted and hit this for second try.

This is huge.
Last edited by DevilsmilE on Jan 10, 2017, 3:23:04 PM
"
DevilsmilE wrote:
"
arclordz wrote:

RF is most definitely damage over time(rembember vulnerability and its effect on rf?), as the shield lets me run it just like RotP, the only downside is that im no longer "fire immune" and my regen on top of Rf is a little bit less, on the otherhand it helps a lot against chaos clouds, poison and bleed, thats why i found it useful against rigwald and overgrown ruin bosses. As for lightning damage, i have to wholeheartedly agree about it being a problem, thats why im generally just popping my dousing eternal in esh breaches where i see the monster that casts the lightning orbs, when it hits its too late. Honestly i dont think there is even a way to mitigate these without flasks, thats why we have them. A good idea would be replacing our quicksilver with anything that gives shock immunity, could be the same flask even, to deal with shocked ground maps, tho honestly i never felt those are an issue.

As for bloodrage, i have been thinking about it a lot, my guildie made joke that whether i was going to brainstorm another 2 days on this iteration like i did on the original how to incorporate bloodrage into the build. Honestly i think it could be easily added, maybe even finding a pair of boots with our needs and +1 frenzy for that. Tho i would add it would have to be placed into our shield so weapon swap would clear it on demand.

I have been asking in Gameplay & mechanic section. not that i dont believe you, just to make sure :p

Leo Shield Sure will benefit greatly to our survivability, we can add Empower lvl3 to support our lvl 21PoF to add 1% max fire res, but can you sustain the RF with Leo Shield?. it could be good if we can find shield with T1 Life and Str, All res could be great too. I cant find good shield in poe.trade, i guess rare shield is not popular.

I havent run uber lab yet as i cant make sure if i can do it solo or not. But dang...that Boots is good, all that i got is cast speed in merci lab..not bad but not that good either.
Last edited by arclordz on Jan 11, 2017, 3:58:37 AM
@arclordz

1) essence worm ring gives +2 aura level, so 21 PoF will become 23 and therefore you don't need empower.
2) pyre converts all cold dmg to fire dmg, and actually the dot should be implied. and again: the generic cold dot of vortex is not the reason people use vortex. it's because SPELL DAMAGE is also applied on ignite for vortex. usually spell damage is no double dipper for ignite builds but for vortex it is.

2.2 and 2.3 i played LL RF chars always will leo shield, the regen is much worse than rotf shield because additional max fire res is GOLD. anyway it's an alternative, but below 15% regen (after RF burn) i would not switch to leo shield. for mapping it might be enough

few last words to vortex and my resume:
for vortex casting (with ignite chance gem) you dont need any cast speed. thats the cool thing about ignites, you want to deal one big hit and not many small hits. so you barely have to change something, only to compensate essence worm ring OR 2nd ring.
but my resume is i came up with so much modifications that it's indeed an entirely different build lol.

i will deviate to

+ astramentis and kaom's way. at the moment im sitting at almost 8k HP (so yes fairly less. and much lower armour than you) but will have around 6-7% extra life regen (tree a bit different).
will see how it goes ^^ cheers

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info