[BSC] 2.6 Self-cast Spark, Inqusitor - Guardians and Shaper Down

Welcome to the guide on how to self-cast Spark, not Vaal Spark.

Nothing changes with this build in 2.6 Legacy league.

I am currently level 91 in Breach, this build is a work in progress. I appreciate all constructive criticism and suggestions. If you think you can improve, say so in the thread! If I missed something, say so! Thanks and I hope you enjoy. This build is just for fun - not trying to win anything or be the best at anything.

Shaper Down!
Sucking at something is the first step towards being sort of good at something.
I am a Breach Softcore scrub and was able to take down Shaper today. This is by no means a Shaper farming build. Fighting Shaper with this build was like fitting a square peg into a round hole. Took 4 portals to do (technically 5, game crashed was one of them). Took this many portals because 1. The DPS is "Ok" for this fight, it's spectacular for add phase 2. I suck at dodging things, I really do 3. Was my second attempt ever 4. I am too stupid to use culling strike.

Elevator speech on the build concept:
Have fun. Use Spark. Do damage. Clear stuff super fast. Take Skill Effect Duration and Projectile Speed to increased our "real" DPS.

Pros:
-Chaos Innoculation
-Clear Speed with Spark
-Quickly and safely clear maps and slay bosses (note: I do die to guardians)
-Save gem slot by using Voidwalker boots
-Vaal Pact for instant leech
-Easily do T15 bosses and T16 bosses with some work
-Breaches are cleared insanely fast
-Freezes and Shatters monsters if using Herald of Ice or Call of the Brotherhood (both are options)

Cons:
-Movement Speed reduction through Winds of Change
-Not Atziri viable
-Not your billion DPS build for Standard League
-Can't facetank everything
-Medium cost - not exactly a budget build when asking for Helm Enchant

Required Items

1. Winds of Change - NOT REQUIRED but a huge DPS boost. Projectile Damage and Projectile Speed. The movement speed penalty sucks, but we use whirling blades or shield charge to get around.
2. Void Walker - saves a socket and passive points on Pierce.
3. Valyrium - No longer NEEDED. Using Heart of Oak and Nimbleness I have found have been enough. Careful play / fast reaction time are needed if not using Valyrium - watch out for fast hitting skills like Malformation Piety, Phoenix whirlwinds and Esh lightning orbs.
4. Choir of the Storm - Massive DPS boost. Stack lightning resistance, gain crit. The Lightning Bolt skill on crit is huge. Unbuffed, hitting for 14027.
5. Helm Enchant - Additional Spark Projectiles

Gem Links

Main Spell:

-- This setup is what I have been using for a bit. I am torn between Added Lightning and Increased Duration - if wands allowed me to proc Instruments of Virtue, I would drop Faster Projectiles.

1. Spark -priority on quality
2. Spell Echo -priority on quality
3. Controlled Destruction
4. Increased Critical Strikes
5. Faster Projectiles
6. (Luxury) Increased Duration, Added Lightning, Life Leech - I prefer Increased Duration here. It gives 3 seconds of spark life allowing a single cast to theoretically hit a target 3 times.

Movement:

1. Whirling Blades or Shield Charge
2. Faster Attacks
3. Fortify

Mana Reserved:
1. Discipline - We're CI, using 4 Uniques that don't give Energy Shield
2. Wrath - MORE DAMAGE!
--or--
3. Herald of Thunder and Herald of Ice - Wrath provides more damage than both of these combined, but these two together clear trash faster, which trash clear isn't a problem anyways. Herald of Ice alone makes our crits shatter enemies. I prefer Wrath for the boss damage, and the more multiplier on Lightning Bolt from Choir of the Storms.

Triggers:

This is super important for surviving. This setup allowed me to remove Life Leech from my 6-link.

--Trigger Setup 1.
1. Cast When Damage Taken - level 1
2. Immortal Call - level 3
3. Warlord's Mark - level 5
4. Increased Duration - take as high as your strength will let you

--Orb of Storms.
1. Orb of Storms
2. Power Charge on Crit
3. Increased AoE

Vaal Storm Call - Single Target:
1. Vaal Storm Call
2. Vaal Storm Call
3. Spell Echo
4. Increased Duration

Filler Gems:
1. Vaal Clarity
2. Vaal Haste
3. Vaal Lightning Trap

Curses:
Warlord's Mark - this is linked in our CWDT setup. Allows us to leech from monster who hit us.

Weapon Explanation

Wands:
A wand could be the best in slot piece in this build just because of the ability to roll Projectile Speed on it. But, because of how powerful Instruments of Virtue is in our ascendancy it's hard to use one (what attack would you use with a wand every 4 seconds to proc it?). On top of that, we take increased skill effect duration in the tree - which kills lightning warp as an option. We're stuck with flame dash for movement. If you have an awesome wand use it. Just modify things around it.

Daggers:
Provide higher crit chance and the ability to use whirling blades and shield charge. Also the ability to gain fortify. Best caster weapon here.

Sceptres:
We don't double dip anything in this build, so daggers are better just for whirling blades, attack speed and crit. Don't not use a sceptre if you have a good one. Your movement skill will be shield charge instead.

Jewels

As much Critical Strike Multiplier as you can get!
1. Global Critical Strike Multipler
2. Critical Strike Multiplier with Lightning Skills
3. Critical Strike Multiplier with Elemental Skills
4. Critical Strike Multiplier for Spells

Try to get two crit multi roles on your jewels. The other stats your looking for are cast speed, increased energy shield, attributes, lightning damage, projectile damage, spell damage and resistances.

Flasks

Flask Importance
1. Quartz Flask - We need phasing for our projectiles to pierce. This flask is important for long boss fights where we will not proc the "killed recently" on Voidwalkers
2. Any Flask of Heat - I do not use any elemental status ailment immunity or freeze immunity items - need this to not be frozen then die.
3. Any Flask of Staunching - bleed removal, we all need it
4. Atziri's Promise - more damage and leech
5. Anything else you want. If you have Vinktar run it. If not, don't worry it's not a big deal.

Passive Tree

Old Trees

Current Level 87 tree - poeurl.com/YEy

Planned Tree at 90 - poeurl.com/YEz
At this point I pick up a 4th Jewel slot. Feel free to grab more ES on the tree if you want instead

UPDATE!
I am now using this Passive Tree. Dropped the mana reservation nodes, Crackling Speed and Herald of Thunder to pick up movement speed and cast speed throughout the tree. Mapping in general feels a lot better.

poeurl.com/YSY
UPDATE 2!
I dropped Sanctity and Righteous Decree to pick up Ballistic Mastery and Heart of Oak. Grabbing Heart of Oak in conjunction with having Nimbleness has allowed me to drop the Valyrium ring and pick up an Opal ring.

poeurl.com/YVv
UPDATE 3!
Apparently I am brainless for not taking Alchemist and Primal Spirit. Dropped Unnatural Calm for them. Also, took the crit multi around Doom Cast.
poeurl.com/YXM

UPDATE 4!
After some more playing around tonight decided to drop Precision and re-path around Throatseeker. Was able to grab two extra jewel sockets with it. Losing 6% attack and cast speed plus 3% movement speed. Letting me reach those two extra jewel sockets which, with the jewels I had netted 56% crit multi, 4% cast speed and 18% lightning damage.
poeurl.com/Y5W

Bandits

Kraityn - Alira - Alira

You could help Kraityn in normal for the all res - it double dips with Choir of the Storms. Killing Kraityn gives 10% to all Elemental Resistances and 10% Global Critical Chance.

-Trying out Kraityn - Kraityn - Alira: attack speed from cruel was recommended for better movement skill

Leveling Up!

You can use spark as soon as you get it. Head for skill effect duration first. Then grab Elemental Overload and throw down an Orb of Storms linked with Increased Crits. You will spec out of elemental overload when your crit chance is over 40%.

Grab life wheels during leveling to survive until we spec into CI. Discipline and Training at Templar, Cruel Preparation above Witch, Quick Recovery below MoM, Written in Blood between CI and Ghost Reaver. Eventually you will unspec out of all but Written in Blood.

That Increased Lightning Damage gem you get at level 8 will stay with you all the way to end game. Grab wands with increased projectile speed on them. 4-Link will be Spark, Added Lightning, Controlled Destruction and Faster Casting or Spell Echo.

In a Tabula Rasa - your links will be Spark, Spell Echo, Controlled Destruction, Faster Projectiles, Increased Critical Strikes, Pierce. Using the Pierce gem is a must until level 69 when you can equip your Voidwalker boots.

Pre-CI Tree at Level 68 poeurl.com/YWx

Useful Uniques:
-Karui Ward - the Projectile Speed is massive, use this.
-Tabula Rasa
-Goldrim
-Elreon Rings
-Hidden Potential Jewel
-Clear Mind Jewel
-Wanderlust / Seven-League Step
-Axiom Perpetuum x2 at level 10 - the crit on these things helps with clear speed well into the 40's
-Light of Lunaris at level 28, huge amount of crit chance and multi for leveling
-Voice of the Storm at level 40
-Winds of Change at level 47

Ascendancy Order

Normal - Righteous Providence
Cruel - Inevitable Judgment
Merciless - Instruments of Virtue
Uber - Augury of Penitence

Gameplay and Videos

Newer Videos after updates:
T15 Abyss Clear.
https://youtu.be/jlCVulX19cc

T16 - Full Phoenix Run - Deathless.
https://youtu.be/-i4bV_U18OI

Shaper - 2nd attempt ever, first kill, full video
This is the full video, all 14 or so minutes. I say some choice words when my game crashes. Phase 3 is around 10:23, that's where I do all my dying because I can't dodge shit, and apparently re-entering during bullet-hell phase is a bad idea.
https://youtu.be/-6Mn4Ahkf2o

Shaper - Phase 3 only of the same video above
https://youtu.be/grzoMHFACvs

Older Videos when attack speed was garbage:
T15 Full Core Clear.
https://youtu.be/ph3l7RRfhH4

T15 Core - Malachai Only.
https://youtu.be/vwnkhlG7CFk

T15 Abyss - Kaom only
https://youtu.be/J_2iq86UyKc

T16 Minotaur - I die at the very end due to greed.
https://youtu.be/Etpdu5OVlEU

T16 Phoenix- I die due to my bad whirling blades positioning.
https://youtu.be/bW9UPtpfOLA

T16 Hydra- not hard mods
https://youtu.be/Gasq0hqIe9U

Stat Screenshots

At level 87 I am sitting just over 9878 ES. Remember offense screenshots are based on a per cast basis. With Spark, DPS is really hard to calculate. Your tooltip is if you hit with one Spark per cast.

Offense Screenshot:
This is for one Spark. Each cast can technically hit twice per life cycle, three times if using Increased Duration instead of Added Lightning
With 5 Power Charges

With 5 Power Charges Atziri Flask and Vinktars

Defense Screenshot:
This is totally non-existent. My defense a fair ES pool, Vaal Pact and Leech.
Spoiler

Current Gear

Old Gear

Here is all the gear I currently have equipped with gems socketed.

Last edited by Dongaldo on Apr 7, 2017, 10:23:20 PM
Last bumped on Dec 1, 2017, 2:51:38 AM
thank you for sharing your build. The amount of selfcast spark build guides are nearly zero.

--- TEMPUS FUGIT ---
"
derbund666 wrote:
thank you for sharing your build. The amount of selfcast spark build guides are nearly zero.

Thanks! This is the only reason I even wrote a guide. I play a lot of different builds, but there are so many guides out there that cover basics of what I did that I never bother writing guides. In this case, I couldn't find any self-cast spark build guides that weren't Voltaxic Spark from 2.2.
Huh, I never thought of using increased Duration on spark before. I have a lvl 86 self cast spark, but i was using a pierce in there. My tree is pretty close, but I like the differences you chose, I think I'll respec mine a tad and try her out!

Thanks for the build!
MonstaMunch: "You're just jelly because you can't afford to mirror my rod. It's 100% reel."

GooberM: "How does that not warrant a good ol' stabby-stabby?"
Bandits ?
"
Bandits ?

Thought I had them in there. Added.
"
didevol wrote:
Huh, I never thought of using increased Duration on spark before. I have a lvl 86 self cast spark, but i was using a pierce in there. My tree is pretty close, but I like the differences you chose, I think I'll respec mine a tad and try her out!

Thanks for the build!

Awesome! Glad it helped!

Yeah, taking Potency of Will for 45% increased duration and using the Increased Duration Support for another 74% (20Q) puts our Spark life at 3.3 seconds. With that much duration, theoretically a single cast of Spark can hit a target 4 times.

I have poe.trade setup to find a good crit caster sceptre so I can try this out with Vaal Glacial Hammer. Thunderdome!
Builds looks like a lot of fun outside of tab and goldrim is there any leveling uniques you think is best? If wouldnt be too much i would also like to see a pre CI tree as it would help me a ton thanks!
"
lackseyelids wrote:
Builds looks like a lot of fun outside of tab and goldrim is there any leveling uniques you think is best? If wouldnt be too much i would also like to see a pre CI tree as it would help me a ton thanks!

Added a pre-CI tree and recommended leveling uniques in the "Leveling Up!" section. Hope that helps!
All the added leveling stuff looks great!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info