Assistance in Buying Laptop (UK)

Happy 2017, guys.

Having spent all my life gaming on a desktop, I am not the most knowledgeable when it comes to laptop prices and configurations. But since I'm staying 4 months in the UK, I thought it was wise to look for something I could use during this time. Also, not being able to search at my go-to stores makes it a bit harder.

I have been searching through Amazon.co.uk, but if anyone has any other online or physical stores to recommend in the UK I would appreciate it.

What I've come across so far:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-GL552VX-CN239T-15-6-Inch-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B01HIWOOSG/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1482780221&sr=1-2

I would like to know if those settings would be enough to run PoE smoothly, and if it is a good price for it.

Also, if anyone would like to recommend another model, I'm open to suggestions. :)

My Budget: £900

Thanks for any help in advance.

Wish you all a good year.
Last bumped on Jan 4, 2017, 4:28:00 PM
This laptop has an Nvidia 960m, and for around the same price as the one you posted:

You can also get an I7 processor for $70 more, and still be under budget.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-Leopard-1416UK-15-6-Inch-Notebook/dp/B01M1O4F77/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1483288149&sr=1-3

This one has an Nvidia 965m GPU, it's $100 more, but still within your budget:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-15-ax000na-15-6-Inch-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B01H9UVU6G/ref=sr_1_22?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1483288149&sr=1-22

Nvidia 965m is about the best GPU you're gonna get in a laptop for your budget.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Jan 1, 2017, 12:43:29 PM
"
MrSmiley21 wrote:
This laptop has an Nvidia 960m, and for around the same price as the one you posted:

You can also get an I7 processor for $70 more, and still be under budget.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-Leopard-1416UK-15-6-Inch-Notebook/dp/B01M1O4F77/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1483288149&sr=1-3

This one has an Nvidia 965m GPU, it's $100 more, but still within your budget:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-15-ax000na-15-6-Inch-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B01H9UVU6G/ref=sr_1_22?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1483288149&sr=1-22

Nvidia 965m is about the best GPU you're gonna get in a laptop for your budget.

Thanks for the reply. Would an i7 make any difference in terms of performance for PoE?
"
bertoco wrote:
Happy 2017, guys.

Having spent all my life gaming on a desktop, I am not the most knowledgeable when it comes to laptop prices and configurations. But since I'm staying 4 months in the UK, I thought it was wise to look for something I could use during this time. Also, not being able to search at my go-to stores makes it a bit harder.

I have been searching through Amazon.co.uk, but if anyone has any other online or physical stores to recommend in the UK I would appreciate it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-GL552VX-CN239T-15-6-Inch-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B01HIWOOSG/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1482780221&sr=1-2

I would like to know if those settings would be enough to run PoE smoothly, and if it is a good price for it.

Also, if anyone would like to recommend another model, I'm open to suggestions. :)

Find a laptop with a 1060m Nvidia don't go any lower. An i5 is sufficient many games still have yet to multithreaded just make sure the MHz is high enough.
Make sure laptop has at least a ssd drive or better 7200 rpm.

All the nvifia 900 series majority are surpassed by 146% in performance by the 1000 series. And with 1000 series easier to VR
"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
Last edited by solwitch on Jan 1, 2017, 11:09:04 PM
"
solwitch wrote:
"
bertoco wrote:
Happy 2017, guys.

Find a laptop with a 1060m Nvidia don't go any lower. An i5 is sufficient many games still have yet to multithreaded just make sure the MHz is high enough.
Make sure laptop has at least a ssd drive or better 7200 rpm.

All the nvifia 900 series majority are surpassed by 146% in performance by the 1000 series. And with 1000 series easier to VR

I think the 1060m+ will be a little out of my budget. :(

But yes, they would be ideal.
1060m isn't out yet. The laptops you see with 1060s in them are using actual desktop GPUs, hence the price tag. Yes, you can buy laptops now with desktop processors and GPUs in them. Although, I wouldn't recommend it. For more reasons that just the price tag. Those laptops run like a blast furnace. But I suppose if money isn't an issue, and you can get a 5 year warranty on the thing, then go for it.

I believe the I7 has a slightly higher clock rate. Outside of that, the extra threads on an I7 aren't gonna help you in PoE. Because PoE isn't gonna use them. But it could help you in some other games, and only $70 more for an I7 over an I5 is a pretty decent deal. I7s usually run $100-$150 more depending on the model.

Alternatively, you can wait a few months for the 1060m laptops to come out, and drop within price range of your budget. You shouldn't have to wait too long. Sometime this summer you'll be able to get a 1060m laptop for 800-900 in British currency. This is what I would do if I was in the market for a laptop. I don't like buying electronics *new* that are already using old shit.

Oddly enough, I haven't been able to find any laptops with dedicated AMD GPUs, like a laptop variant of an RX 480. I believe Nvidia has a monopoly on the laptop GPU market at the moment. Most of the AMD laptops are A6-A10 APUs, with no dedicated GPUs in them. Even a 960m completely stomps APU integrated graphics.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Jan 2, 2017, 12:09:00 PM
"
MrSmiley21 wrote:
1060m isn't out yet. The laptops you see with 1060s in them are using actual desktop GPUs, hence the price tag. Yes, you can buy laptops now with desktop processors and GPUs in them. Although, I wouldn't recommend it. For more reasons that just the price tag. Those laptops run like a blast furnace. But I suppose if money isn't an issue, and you can get a 5 year warranty on the thing, then go for it.

I believe the I7 has a slightly higher clock rate. Outside of that, the extra threads on an I7 aren't gonna help you in PoE. Because PoE isn't gonna use them. But it could help you in some other games, and only $70 more for an I7 over an I5 is a pretty decent deal. I7s usually run $100-$150 more depending on the model.

Alternatively, you can wait a few months for the 1060m laptops to come out, and drop within price range of your budget. You shouldn't have to wait too long. Sometime this summer you'll be able to get a 1060m laptop for 800-900 in British currency. This is what I would do if I was in the market for a laptop. I don't like buying electronics *new* that are already using old shit.

Oddly enough, I haven't been able to find any laptops with dedicated AMD GPUs, like a laptop variant of an RX 480. I believe Nvidia has a monopoly on the laptop GPU market at the moment. Most of the AMD laptops are A6-A10 APUs, with no dedicated GPUs in them. Even a 960m completely stomps APU integrated graphics.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-17-3-laptop-intel-core-i7-12gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-1tb-hard-drive-128gb-solid-state-drive-black-anodized-aluminum/5580042.p?skuId=5580042

I purchased this laptop for $1169 was an open box. I lucked out seems their open boxes have gone higher. I'm not sure but I've seen other laptops with different lower setups for under 1000 with a 1060 open box.
"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
"
MrSmiley21 wrote:

Unfortunately, waiting a couple months is not an option, since I am travelling and in need of it at the moment. :(

I think I narrowed the search to one of those two:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B015OG3T1Q/ref=s9_acsd_bw_wf_s_GAME_cdl_57?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-10&pf_rd_r=1JKFA1VWGWWN2GK7Z2PG&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=ad02e2c3-9a61-4929-91ac-155ba4b9b1bd&pf_rd_i=8420742031&th=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-Leopard-1416UK-15-6-Inch-Notebook/dp/B01GS0IOLC/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1483288149&sr=1-3&th=1

But the specs are so similar I can't really tell what's best.

Would you have any advice as to which is more worth the money?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info