ahh the joys of trade [updated]

started selling some stuff lately in Standard, so I'm getting used to copy-pasted messages from poe.trade - telling me item name/type, price I listed it for, and exact location.
it's very handy.

the first encounter

then comes this guy:

"Hi, I would like to buy your <rare ring> listed for 1 chaos in Standard (stash tab <X>; position: left <Y>, top <Z>)"

I have a tab for 1 Chaos (or less) items, and the pinged tab name didn't match - so I checked.
surely enough, that was an asking price 3 Chaos ring.

it's perfectly fine if you offer 1 Chaos for it. we can bargain and maybe you will end up getting it for 1 Chaos... but for trying this kind of shitty copy-paste trick? I won't sell it to you for 100 Exalts.

seriously, can we get a button to report these asshats?

[UPDATE]

"Hi I would like to buy your <1 Chaos bow> from your <1 Chaos tab>"

"sure. give me 2 mins please. boss fight"

I beat the boss and exit the map. go to stash and pick up the bow, then click invite on his name.
"you have been ignored by the target player".

Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
Last edited by johnKeys on Jan 13, 2017, 12:59:57 PM
Last bumped on Jan 16, 2017, 2:21:42 PM
I hadn't played this game for years and came back to all this new trade indexer stuff and did exactly the same thing. Sometimes we're just idiots and don't know any better. I only did it once and never again though.

What's annoying though is that I got called a scammer once because I listed my offer in a second message and the dude didn't read it. Then another time I listed my offer with the message and the guy didn't see it and said he prefers to have the offer in a second message. What I do now is list my offer with the original message and if they don't read it and then complain, I block them.

Also, the other day I was trying to buy some abundant, not hard to get gem and I messaged a few people about buying it. If I don't get a response after 10 seconds I move onto the other person. I ended up buying one and some guy invited me like a full 2 minutes later and I declined it. Then he says something along the lines of "Wow I left my map for nothing. Thanks, idiot." Send me an invite as soon as you get the whisper, FFS. Don't make me wait 2 minutes and then complain that I'm the idiot.

Trading in this game is frustrating sometimes. Nothing you can do about it though.
Last edited by reimur on Dec 31, 2016, 10:48:27 AM
"
johnKeys wrote:
started selling some stuff lately in Standard, so I'm getting used to copy-pasted messages from poe.trade - telling me item name/type, price I listed it for, and exact location.
it's very handy.

then comes this guy:

"Hi, I would like to buy your <rare ring> listed for 1 chaos in Standard (stash tab <X>; position: left <Y>, top <Z>)"

I have a tab for 1 Chaos (or less) items, and the pinged tab name didn't match - so I checked.
surely enough, that was an asking price 3 Chaos ring.

it's perfectly fine if you offer 1 Chaos for it. we can bargain and maybe you will end up getting it for 1 Chaos... but for trying this kind of shitty copy-paste trick? I won't sell it to you for 100 Exalts.

i had someone try something worse than this. at least you got a unlegit message that you were able to spot an unreasonable price right off.

last league i listed some weapon or armor for an exalt. i cant remember wtf it was now. someone did the whole copy paste thing though with the legit price i listed it for as 1 exalt.

well i am super happy they want to buy it and all of course and drop what im doing. when the trade windows come up i put in my trade. then they put in a chaos orb. i don't even bother mousing over it. i just cancel. i'm like dude.... its an exalt. he leaves party and the hideout without a word.

i mean like you i am completely open to negotiation. thats how a lot of things happen in the poe trade world since its a barter economy. however, the difference between 1 exalt and 1 chaos... thats pretty wide. wide enough to say they were trying to pull a scam hoping someone would not notice.
@Reimur, I was actually waiting for:
"Hi, I would like to buy your <rare ring> listed for 3 chaos in Standard (stash tab <X>; position: left <Y>, top <Z>)"
followed by:
"will you take 1 chaos for it?"

that's fair bargaining, because 3 chaos is my asking price. I can sell for less.

pasting "listed for 1 chaos" into the automated message isn't. that's a rip off attempt.

regarding 2 minutes... that's a bit harsh.
you can wait. he can be in the middle of a boss fight.
or you can just msg him "never mind. already got it. thx." when you buy it from the other guy, and hopefully he hasn't left the map yet.
but yeah that's a grey area of human interaction, because some people are just quicker than others.

ripping off isn't a grey area of anything.
I want a "report the fucker" button.

@M0rO, sounds like something from the old D2 days...
good thing we have to mouse-over.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
Last edited by johnKeys on Dec 31, 2016, 11:01:16 AM
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1803992

There was a very similar thread about this just before Christmas, I agree with John and others, don't be a douche and f)(ck around with the price.
~ Adapt, Improvise and Overcome
I traded for the first time yesterday, i opened chat...found what i wanted, whispered the player, agreed to the price (might have been over priced but fuck it) met up and traded...total 5 minutes, polite, easy.
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
If they do that I either ignore or decide to fuck with them, like ask them to come to the hideout and put the shit in the trade window and go make a cup of coffee

This game has taught me just to hate people, but have fun while I do it
Fake Temp League Elitists LUL
Last edited by _Saranghaeyo_ on Dec 31, 2016, 1:24:22 PM
actually i did this :(

i normally dont use the copy/paste thing on poe trade, but i decided to do it one time and i changed the price to something i wanted to bargain for. problem is: the copy/paste text isnt worded for bargaining, its worded for fixed price. so it makes the bargainer look like an asshat when they make the bargain price without carefully reading what they copy.
"
jebroni wrote:
actually i did this :(

i normally dont use the copy/paste thing on poe trade, but i decided to do it one time and i changed the price to something i wanted to bargain for. problem is: the copy/paste text isnt worded for bargaining, its worded for fixed price. so it makes the bargainer look like an asshat when they make the bargain price without carefully reading what they copy.

No. The message is made so that the seller can recognize the item, and easily find it - and remind him/her of the price, for effective trading. AFTER you remind the seller of where the item is - and what it's listed for, you are free to bargain as much as you like.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
"
reimur wrote:
Also, the other day I was trying to buy some abundant, not hard to get gem and I messaged a few people about buying it. If I don't get a response after 10 seconds I move onto the other person. I ended up buying one and some guy invited me like a full 2 minutes later and I declined it. Then he says something along the lines of "Wow I left my map for nothing. Thanks, idiot." Send me an invite as soon as you get the whisper, FFS. Don't make me wait 2 minutes and then complain that I'm the idiot.

Had someone do that to me the other day, only I invited the guy 10 seconds after he messaged me. Come on now, I get that you want to buy the thing, but can you not message 10 people at once and screw 9 people out of map portal?
We fight to delay the end because it's the means that matter.
Last edited by Timewar9 on Dec 31, 2016, 3:04:17 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info