So, in the same week, i am a D3 and PoE beta player :O (impressions)

"
flybutterfly wrote:
"
dust7 wrote:
"
Abscission wrote:
The game seems a lot more linera than D2 and/or other games in the genre...Basically, the exploration is dumbed down from their past game.

That is to be expected. Diablo 3 areas are not randomly generated. The map layouts are always the same.

And just where did you get the info from?

http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=27805270394#4

outdoor area maps always have the same layout (for example map shape) with a few elements randomly picked from a pool.
Disregard witches, aquire currency.
Last edited by dust7 on Feb 3, 2012, 12:00:51 PM
Congratulations on getting beta for both games, I know how it feels.

I fully intend to play both games. I love how this year is going to bring sol many good options to the genre.
Last edited by Bframe83 on Feb 3, 2012, 4:30:35 PM
Theyre dumbing it down for consoles which is why it feels different compared to D2 and POE
"
tp12 wrote:
Theyre dumbing it down for consoles which is why it feels different compared to D2 and POE

I won't enter a discussion about a diablo game on a console D:
I hit him in the temple and he began to convulse like a retarded Hillbert. Mike Tyson
I wish i could get in just one of them
"
dust7 wrote:

http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=27805270394#4

outdoor area maps always have the same layout (for example map shape) with a few elements randomly picked from a pool.

Most of the game will be indoors and dungeons anyway, and the reasoning for outdoors is valid.

I still don't see how will this "dumb down" the game.

PoE is copying the exact mechanics, and I'm getting sick and tired of the forum background which is an exact copycat of D3.

GGG needs to be more creative, it's a game doomed to failure.
You mad?
Last edited by flybutterfly on Feb 3, 2012, 9:01:26 PM
flybutterfly:

Have you played PoE or D3? Not asking in a snarky way, just curious.

I have played both and I find elements in both that are a lot of fun, but I think PoE superior.

I am not sure why you thing GGG isn't creative, their skill system alone is far different (and superior) to any ARPG I have ever played (D1/2, TQ/IT, TL, Sacred/2, Nox).

Also.. the whole "copying" conversation needs to drop.. Blizzard coppied D&D, just streamlined the leveling/class systems to a more arcade like status to create the ARPG sub genre we have today. It isn't like they created a totally new thing, they just improved upon what was already their, which is what 90% of the games/music/movies/books we have do.
"the premier Action RPG for hardcore gamers."
-GGG

Happy hunting/fishing
Last edited by Wittgenstein on Feb 3, 2012, 9:14:38 PM
"
Wittgenstein wrote:
Also.. the whole "copying" conversation needs to drop.. Blizzard coppied D&D, just streamlined the leveling/class systems to a more arcade like status to create the ARPG sub genre we have today. It isn't like they created a totally new thing, they just improved upon what was already their, which is what 90% of the games/music/movies/books we have do.

I've played the beta and emulated D3 servers.

Oh please, there are elements of D&D in every ARPG available, why sound so sour?

Bringing the D&D argument into the picture is just sooo weak!

There is a difference between implementing new features and improving what was created, than copying the exact style and gameplay from the #1 RPGs.
You mad?
Last edited by flybutterfly on Feb 3, 2012, 9:27:45 PM
Yes, their is a difference. So what, exactly, did GGG copy from D2 besides the basics (those things that actually make the genre what it is).

D2 had gold.
PoE does not

D2 had character molds with predefined skills
PoE does not

D2 had a system which encouraged endless boss runs
PoE does not

D2 vastly limited the player on itemization
PoE gives the player many more options

I am not saying D2 was a poor game, I still play it, and it is certainly one of my all time favorites. Still, I recognize the stark differences in both design and implimentation between D2 and PoE.

I brought in D&D as a tool to show how little is accomplished by saying "Oh this is just like D2, no originallity!" if D2 can copy a (dumbed down) D&D yet still be a great game, and make several strides forward, why can't PoE have the same chance?
"the premier Action RPG for hardcore gamers."
-GGG

Happy hunting/fishing
Last edited by Wittgenstein on Feb 3, 2012, 9:30:29 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info