If you could swallow a pill that makes you never want to play PoE ever again

"
MrSmiley21 wrote:
(...)

Thanks. I'll look into these.
I play the game really hard, by my standards which are likely nowhere near anyone else's, for about two months and then quit for 6-10 months and come back. There always ends up being one day where I'm farming the same map for the 100th time and just go WTF am I even doing?

Then again, I don't progress much and still have very little understanding of the game. I can't get a COC build to work which is the one thing I'd really really like to try and I've never tried low health stuff.

But. I'm back. Again. Scouring the forum for help and answers to my stupid questions.

So no - I would not take the pill. I enjoy the game even more. Every time I come back, it feels brand new and is exciting. For a little bit.

Hopefully I find reason to stick around this time.
"
frenzul wrote:
I play the game really hard, by my standards which are likely nowhere near anyone else's

Famous last words, lol. You'd probably be surprised how many would game as you do, even if my own gameplay is far different from yours.

"
frenzul wrote:
There always ends up being one day where I'm farming the same map for the 100th time and just go WTF am I even doing?

Yup, been there with other games, far too many times. That's why I don't bother with that sort of farming. Pointless diminishing returns. I only play end-game for as much as I enjoy it. After that, meh, it doesn't matter. :-)
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▒▒▒▒░░░░░ cipher_nemo ░░░░░▒▒▒▒ │ Waggro Level: ♠○○○○ │ 1244
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
"
cipher_nemo wrote:
"
frenzul wrote:
I play the game really hard, by my standards which are likely nowhere near anyone else's

Famous last words, lol. You'd probably be surprised how many would game as you do, even if my own gameplay is far different from yours.

"
frenzul wrote:
There always ends up being one day where I'm farming the same map for the 100th time and just go WTF am I even doing?

Yup, been there with other games, far too many times. That's why I don't bother with that sort of farming. Pointless diminishing returns. I only play end-game for as much as I enjoy it. After that, meh, it doesn't matter. :-)

I just have no idea what I'm doing honestly.

If I actually get a character up to maps, I know enough that I can start building a nice little cache of maps in my stash but after that.. I just get lost and keep farming. I don't know what other end game there may be other than trying to level or get into bigger maps.
Guys!!!!!!! I don't need the pill anymore, I got access to my desktop again!!!!!!! Awwww ye, PoE hits that spot so nice

"
frenzul wrote:
I don't know what other end game there may be other than trying to level or get into bigger maps.

Um, well, the game revolves around an endless grind, hence the company name Grinding Gear Games :)

There are some specific endgame benchmarks though that, given what you've said, would feel like real accomplishments if you reached them. Examples, in order of roughly ascending difficulty:

Uber Lab
Atziri
Pale Court
Uber Lab four- or five-key run
Breachlords (temp)
Uber Atziri
Guardians
Shaper

Each of these contain some epic boss fights and occasionally good loot. They are also quite difficult.

There are also a number of Unique Maps you may try to "check off your bucket list" -Hall of the Grandmasters in particular is super difficult for most players because it is essentially a PvP map, and PvP is a totally different animal from PvE
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
Last edited by adghar on Jan 3, 2017, 1:44:19 PM
"
adghar wrote:
"
frenzul wrote:
I don't know what other end game there may be other than trying to level or get into bigger maps.

Um, well, the game revolves around an endless grind, hence the company name Grinding Gear Games :)

There are some specific endgame benchmarks though that, given what you've said, would feel like real accomplishments if you reached them. Examples, in order of roughly ascending difficulty:

Uber Lab
Atziri
Pale Court
Uber Lab four- or five-key run
Breachlords (temp)
Uber Atziri
Guardians
Shaper

Each of these contain some epic boss fights and occasionally good loot. They are also quite difficult.

There are also a number of Unique Maps you may try to "check off your bucket list" -Hall of the Grandmasters in particular is super difficult for most players because it is essentially a PvP map, and PvP is a totally different animal from PvE

Yup, good list.

I'd like to add to that list: Challenge Leagues, Achievements, Hardcore, and Races.

Also, in regards to that list adghar has, there's a whole wealth of story and background to many of those. The Shaper has a new storyline with a nice twist at the end to explain what was previously a gap in the story for a specific NPC (no spoiler here). Atziri concerns the earliest recorded history of Wraeclast. And the lab has its own story focused on the Azmeri. If you get into the lore a little, the game is so much more enjoyable. When I started PoE, I just played it as a game, because honestly the lore is confusing at first. But when you've played through the acts and other content several times things start to click. And that's when I researched the lore, read the (sparse) comics, and enjoyed PoE on a new level.
Last edited by cipher_nemo on Jan 3, 2017, 1:56:01 PM
Thanks guys. I appreciate the non-offensive answers that aren't the usual "go figure it out yourself" answers. I guess I just need to pick a build and get rolling. The character I started last night is already a bust. The chaos dmg spells/skills always look so appealing to me.. think I got sucked in again. Will probably delete him and try to stick to someone else's build this time, as much as I don't like that idea. Builds are so in-depth and wordy.

Anyway. Yeah. Thank you. At work, trying to plan out my bit of evening free time. Considering some sort of bow build or freezing spell build. I've done shield block melee classes every other time.
Last edited by frenzul on Jan 3, 2017, 2:02:05 PM
"
frenzul wrote:
The character I started last night is already a bust. The chaos dmg spells/skills always look so appealing to me.. think I got sucked in again. Will probably delete him and try to stick to someone else's build this time, as much as I don't like that idea. Builds are so in-depth and wordy.

Yeah, I never follow anyone's build precisely. I always deviate here and there to make it my own. So I normally get the idea behind someone's build and then tweak it for my gameplay style and enjoyment. After all, builds can usually be distilled down to some key concepts in how mechanics are working with each other. If you follow those concepts you can't really go wrong with a build.

Also, I wouldn't delete your character. Just start a new one. Keep the old one around for when GGG releases major updates that give a free one-time respec. Even if it's in a league now, it will be in standard or hardcore later for use. :-)
No need for a pill, we have the lab.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
I'll hold on to that pill. Throw it around a bit between my hands while reading the 3.0 Patch Notes, though there's a chance that the 3.0 patch notes may work as this pill.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info