[2.5 BSC/BHC] Flame Totem Blood Magic Chieftan

INTRODUCTION

The idea for this Flame Totem build was created after I saw the new Tukohama's Fortress and was inspired by PohxKappa's Prophecy Flame Totem uber lab farmer. It can down uber Izaro, normal Atziri and up to T15 bosses with no issues. If you want a build that can run corrupted unidentified T15 maps, this build is for you. The only time I reroll map mods is if there's no pack size.

OVERVIEW

Pros:
+ Tanky
+ Nice damage
+ Cheap
+ Scales well
+ Can run any map mod

Cons:
- Slow to level
- Not guardian/shaper viable

SKILL TREE

Chieftan
Passives
Ascendancy Points: Arohongui-Tukohama-Ngamahu-Hinekora
Bandits: Oak-Eramir-Eramir

LEVELING TREES

SKILL TREE EXPLANATION

We head towards ancestral bond first to make leveling easier, then down to blood magic to help with our mana issues, grabbing the damage and totem nodes along the way. We then grab the life next to scion and the damage next to templar. Endgame, grab what you feel you need to flesh the build out, but the full build tree has the best options selected.

SCREENSHOTS

SKILL DPS
Spoiler

DEFENSE
Spoiler

GEAR

JEWELS

GEAR EXPLANATION

Spoiler
Weapon

We utilize a sceptre instead of a wand so that we can shield charge. Ideally, you want Spell Damage, Fire Damage, #-# elemental damage added to spells and Cast Speed.

Off-Hand

Tukohama's Fortress is the best in slot shield for this build, but Lioneye's Remorse is a good cheap alternative.

Helm

We want a helmet with +2 flame totem projectiles. If you can find one on an armour base with life and resists, that's even better.

Chest

Lioneye's Vision is the best in slot chest for this build because of the free pierce. It gives our flame totem ~17% more damage.

Gloves

Life, armour and resists are key here.

Boots

Life, armour and resists are key, movement speed is an added bonus.

Amulet

An amulet with a high spell damage roll, a large amount of life and a nice intelligence roll is ideal.

Rings

We use an Essence Worm for our Anger because we're Blood Magic. Our other ring should have high life, resists and some intelligence.

Belt

The ideal belt for this build with have really high level(130+), armour and resists.

Jewels

Because we're Blood Magic, we can utilize Clear Mind, which will give us more damage than anything but a GG 4 stat jewel. On our jewels, we're looking for primarily damage stats because we're already really tanky. Spell damage, spell damage while holding a shield, fire damage, projectile damage, totem damage and damage are the main ones. Other stats like life, cast speed, cast speed while holding a shield and projectile speed are also nice.

LINKS AND GEMS

Main DPS Setup

*Flame Totem-Faster Casting-Elemental Focus-Controlled Destruction-Fire Penetration-Minion and Totem Elemental Resistances
*Searing Bond-Increased Burning Damage-Elemental Focus-Minion and Totem Elemental Resistances

We utilize numerous more damage multipliers to increase our Flame Totem and Searing Bond damage to points you can't reach with other gems without including crit in the build.

CWDT Setup

*CWDT(10)-Immortal Call(12)-Molten Shell(15)-Flame Golem(12)

We use Immortal Call and Molten Shell for additional defense against physical damage and we put our Flame Totem in our CWDT setup so we don't have to selfcast him.

Mobility Setup

*Lightning Warp-Faster Casting-Less Duration-Portal
*Shield Charge-Fortify-Increased AoE

We utilize lightning warp to jump over walls and such and Portal will make your life way easier because you won't need to pick up portal scrolls. Shield Charge is used to proc Fortify so we take less damage.

Aura and Curse Setup

*Anger
*Flammability-Faster Casting-Increased Duration

We use Anger in an essence worm because it's the best dps aura available to use. We use Flammability to reduce enemy's fire resistance as it's the best curse for our build.

Golem

*Flame Golem

We lack the dexterity to use Stone Golem, so our best choice is Flame Golem.

LEVELING

I personally feel that it's better to level as Flame Totem because you don't need to deviate from the build, even though it's slightly slower than other builds while leveling.

Abberaths wands and Auxiom sceptres will make leveling a bit faster/easier if you want to invest the currency.

CREDITS

PohxKappa for the build inspiration
MoarPizza for the guide template
Last edited by PhreakingPanda on Dec 29, 2016, 10:51:37 PM
Last bumped on Jan 9, 2017, 8:17:27 PM
Why cant you do guardians/shaper with this build?
Not enough damage?
Whats your DPS per totem right now?

If you wanted to make this kind of build kill guardians/shaper what would you have to change with it?
[FORGE] Guild /view-thread/1664516
[SHOP] /view-thread/393743
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Want to join a MULTI-GAMING community including one of POE's oldest guilds???
==> https://gamersforge.com
"
mythal wrote:
Why cant you do guardians/shaper with this build?
Not enough damage?
Whats your DPS per totem right now?

If you wanted to make this kind of build kill guardians/shaper what would you have to change with it?

Sorry for the late reply, been sick with an ear infection. Um, honestly I'm not sure. I've only tried Minotaur and with nearly 8K hp and 40K armour, he still hits like a truck. Plus, he kills the totems in one hit, thus stopping me from doing damage and leeching. Damage per totem is expected to be ~30K tooltip with level 20 gems, possibly 35K with a level 21 Flame Totem.

I haven't tried the other guardians or shaper yet, so it might be possible to down some/all of them. Just massive issues with Minotaur. One fix might be dropping the ascendancy that makes your totems taunt and using the endurance charge ascendancy instead. This would make you get focused more and make you a bit tankier. You'd have to grab endurance charges on the tree and potentially wear Death's Door for this to work well though. If going this route, you could either grab the 10% strength ascendancy or the "enemies deal less damage when near your totems" ascendancy. Either one should provide you with a decent boost to survivability.

However, as stated, I've not run into anything other than the guardians/shaper that this build has issues with. Other than the occasional super rippy oneshot, ofc. In terms of t15s, I've done fully modded/corrupted Abyss and Coliseum with no issues. I've also ran a twinned Abyss. Really need to get my hands on a Core map to test it, but I seriously doubt the build will have any issues.
Hmm, playing dual flame totem here, and my tooltip says 100% chance to pierce and I don't have any pierce related equip, passives or gems. Would you confirm, place flame totem alone in some other equipment and view the tooltip?
Actually, I just reviewed POE Pierce info here and confirmed it. http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Pierce_Support I am using Infernal Mantle for the Chaos, Fire Dmg, +1 fire sockets.
Why are the cruel and merciless bandits both Eramir? I don't see how attack speed and frenzy charge help out.
Eramir gives passive points. Kraityn is IAS/Frenzy for Cruel/Merciless.
"
Judex wrote:
Actually, I just reviewed POE Pierce info here and confirmed it. http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Pierce_Support I am using Infernal Mantle for the Chaos, Fire Dmg, +1 fire sockets.

Flame Totem has 100% chance to pierce all the time, but level 15 pierce gives a ~17% MORE damage multiplier, thus the Lioneye's Vision. Since this isn't a crit build, I have no use for an Infernal Mantle.
Nice guide. As a DPS upgrade, you might consider the Iron Will Gloves:

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Repentance

Given the high levels of str in your build, that would boost DPS considerably.

Seth
"
srh4439 wrote:
Nice guide. As a DPS upgrade, you might consider the Iron Will Gloves:

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Repentance

Given the high levels of str in your build, that would boost DPS considerably.

Seth

I've actually considered them before. The only issue would be attaining enough intelligence to wear them. Plus, you'd lose a considerable amount of life and resists for them. I don't really feel the strength is quite high enough to make it worth it, but if I pumped the strength more, I'd also swap the weapon for Doon Cuebiyari. However, a high strength variant is definitely doable with a few changes to the tree.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info