2.5 Draak's Now Freeze Pulse! elementalist (Budget and hc/sc viable) ** Chill the World! **

Change Log
Spoiler
-Initial guide created
-changed from Glacial cascade to freeze pulse

Pros
Spoiler

-Budget
-Tanky
-Decent Damage
-Lots of penetration
-Fun
-No problem with reflect
-can be adapted easily to other skills

Cons
Spoiler

-Hard to get Dex
-Reliant on Chill
-Fails versus status immune and Hex-proof
-reliant on Warlords for mana (though if you were not life based you could make this up with passives).

Gear @ 82
Spoiler

Gearing

Spoiler

The most important item for this build is this amulet:

It gives you lots of defense and a decent amount of damage. Blinding everything that is chilled gives the mobs a 50% change to miss their attacks. This is a huge deal. You also get a more multiplier from your Hypothermia support and you are able to get 20% cold penetration.

Is optional. You could certainly replace it with any wand that has more spell damage and cast speed then this thing provides cold damage. Also, you can slot 2 green nightmare jewels into this build, one over by templar and one at the top of the witch tree to get a ton of great things. This gives you 5% cold as chaos, Chance to dodge attacks and a chance to gain frenzy charges on kill.

This chest is a really nice defensive item. When combined with Purity of Ice you basically get a large amount of evasion. The only downside to this chest piece is that you will have to invest quite a bit into getting more then 3 blue sockets on it due to the high dex requirements. Other then that, a free artic armor, phase acro and high evasion is rather nice.

Links
Spoiler

(For Freeze pulse)
Freeze pulse - Controlled destruction - added cold - slower proj/lmp - Hypothermia - added chaos/spell echo/empower.

(for Glacial Cascade)
Glacial cascade - Spell echo - Controlled destruction - Hypothermia - concentrated effect - added chaos/increased aoe/empower

Herald of thunder - curse on hit - warlords mark - orb of storms

Vaal storm call - increase crit chance - Controlled destruct

CWDT - immortal call - Vortex - Increase duration/molten shell

flame dash - faster casting

arctic armor

purity of ice

Frost bomb - decreased duration

Tree

Spoiler

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAMCAN-KFr-hL76K2CQfAgQHr2xWSDbF7-vQH0VHJpVh4lVLES8rCl3yEzUXpPxMjDZJsdfP-TfviJMn2t3Vpu08mjuCm2ae4XNo8vAfogAEs8BmOtjsOLcxplc64UZSVEdsC4x2nsSmvmpDwFS86iL06QL-s1crvYIsnFWuRKtMszpYVcaD2_JF2L3-Co8aHNxTUkWdmuDr7lBCUzWnCEbXsULzEXGFcg-Ub2ZUC2EaOJBVJy-3PoPMH0EDHjLRWfPIv2t6CPRtGYIQj6bcjdQH37A8LcauEFivm5UEMjQxnk3j_o81kjCXOYrrYzY9VYWlyzsNEQ9MLRdUjjxWSp6hIoE=

On the Ascendancy you want to get Shaper of desolation first, Then paragon of calamity or Pendulum of discord then finally, mastermind of discord. (cwdt molten shell and flame dash proc 25% cold penetration). With MoD you get about 50% cold penetration.

Bandits

Spoiler

Oak
Point
Point (or frenzy)

Leveling

Videos

Spoiler

tier 3 Sewer @ level 73
https://youtu.be/uzrT2XUXNiw

Tier 7 Armoury @ level 82

https://youtu.be/5pmpUiJL9sM

Last edited by draakisback on Jan 5, 2017, 7:31:54 PM
Last bumped on Jan 5, 2017, 6:56:41 PM
Hi dude, nice build! A couple of ideas for it:

Your 120 point build put too much emphasis on Breath of Rime, where other cold damage might have been more beneficial. Consider Snowforged.

You have roughly 487% spell damage effectiveness, but that's partially elemental-only. Consider the Lab enchant to move 90% of the physical component of Glacial Cascade to cold. Would be really good to take advantage of your penetration too.

I would heavily advise against any build using Conc Effect & Inc AoE in the same links. Use one or the other, and swap out for single target encounters.

TulFall is a very interesting unique, but I think you could utilize it a bit better. If you want it to serve as only a source of frenzy charges, you're ok. But at that point a well crafted rare wand would do more for you damage wise. Why not consider acquiring more power charges on-tree since you pathed to so many of them, and also taking the 1 point '4% spell damage per power charge' node near the witch jewel socket?

Your tree is low on Dexterity, but you only need it fore three of your gems which is nice. Hypothermia is 11 at level 20, Arctic Armour 98, and Herald of Ice is 98. All very manageable, but your tree only has 64. You might mention that there is a need to acquire the remaining on gear.

Also, your section discussing The Pandemonius seemed to word how Blind works a bit lazily, and it might be confusing. It's not that monsters have a 50% chance to hit you, it's that their chance to hit is lessened by 50%, which has many potential ramifications when you consider their chance to crit against you or your base evasion chance. It is likely better than you gave it credit, but it should be explained that it's not simply a flat 50% less. Also, it does not work against certain rares and uniques, so players might be surprised to find encounters where blind fails them.

All in all, great start! I look forward to seeing where you take the build.
Hot Flashes: poeurl.com/bPZT
Balance: poeurl.com/btzp
Shocking EleHit: poeurl.com/bZXo
Last edited by Kwitch on Dec 18, 2016, 7:04:47 PM
Finally someone who makes another build with my personal favorite spell in the game :D

EDIT:

I had a closer look at the tree and build in it's entirety. I changed a couple things about the tree to make it more HC viable.

www.poeurl.com/WFq

This tree has 170% Life and 170% inc ES while still running close to 400% total spell damage. There are multiple points where you save points depending on the gear you've got and spec into extra power charges, Snowforged or even spec CI. There are many open points in the tree.

I'm also not 100% sold on Mastermind of Discord, instead I'd personally opt to get Paragon of Calamity for even more freezing. But that is probably more due to personal preference.

In terms of gear, a well crafted rare wand + shield would probably be better then a TulFall since you don't get extra Frenzy or Power charges. Or a Pledge of Hands if you can get the defensive stats from the shield somewhere else.

The build looks very solid otherwise and I'm anxious to give it a whirl myself.
Crawling through the Leagues, as usual.
Last edited by Tessae on Dec 19, 2016, 5:15:09 PM
Could you post a CI tree and build? I have a BV build that just got nerfed and would like to use some of the items she used.

Thanks
I'd like to make a crit build of it. My two main fears are mana regen + survivability. I'm at lvl 49 for the moment, and have no problem to survive (Cruel BHC) but I have mana problems.

My Tree at the moment

I think of taking Liege of the Primordial (crit + ice boost) later. And for mana regen, I could take Clarity but I was thinking of MoM + Zealot's Oath + Eldritch Battery, as I use Enduring Cry, but I never used this, so I fear the cry won't be sufficient.

PS : I use a 4L totem with Arctic Breath + Totem + GMP + IncAoe. It's fun, powerful and puts chilled ground everywhere :D
"Thousand Needles"
"
Tessae wrote:
Finally someone who makes another build with my personal favorite spell in the game :D

EDIT:

I had a closer look at the tree and build in it's entirety. I changed a couple things about the tree to make it more HC viable.

www.poeurl.com/WFq

This tree has 170% Life and 170% inc ES while still running close to 400% total spell damage. There are multiple points where you save points depending on the gear you've got and spec into extra power charges, Snowforged or even spec CI. There are many open points in the tree.

I'm also not 100% sold on Mastermind of Discord, instead I'd personally opt to get Paragon of Calamity for even more freezing. But that is probably more due to personal preference.

In terms of gear, a well crafted rare wand + shield would probably be better then a TulFall since you don't get extra Frenzy or Power charges. Or a Pledge of Hands if you can get the defensive stats from the shield somewhere else.

The build looks very solid otherwise and I'm anxious to give it a whirl myself.

The reason I basically walked away from paragon of calamity is because most endgame bosses are freeze immune. While it would help against the trash mobs, its just not strong enough for boss clears. The difference with the huge penetration from Mastermind of Discord helps against bosses.

Anyways I had to drop Glacial cascade because the damage just wasn't there. I really like the skill mechanically, but it just didn't make the cut.

I would use whirl my self but its a non-crit build so daggers are kind of a damage drop.

Ive got a new video coming out here in a few hours that will show the new build that uses freeze pulse and the new perfect form chest instead of snow forged. I made this build to use the breach uniques and i figured that GC would be the best choice for the ice uniques. Unfortunately, that turned out to be wrong.
Last edited by draakisback on Jan 5, 2017, 6:59:08 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info