Question on Flameblast build

I am a three year off and on casual player of PoE. I have a love hate relationship with the game, but constantly come back to it. That said in three years I've never made a map nor have I done trials (and don't plan to odd are). I actually enjoy different builds and leveling, the thing is so many builds are built around the ascendancy classes and rightfully so given how much it adds. My question is at the start of this video he talks about what really makes this build viable and he talks about ascendancy skills, well I'm not going to have them, but I'm also not really looking "end game" more of a play through the acts/difficulties level up and have fun guy. Can this build handle all the "normal" (not maps but normal/cruel/merc stuff) if I don't have the ascendancy skill points?

Build

Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAABAMCAQLjA3UEBwSzB6UI9AxfDc0OXBBYEzUWbxekGjgabBynHM4c3B8CJKonLyqNK1AsnDI0NZI2xTbYNuk6WDrYOuE8BTwtPQ89X0V-RZ1GUkbXSRtJskyzTeNSU1NSU6VVxlZIWHdZ817AXwRj_WZUaPJqQ2r6a3ptGXGFcg965nxLfLuCEIKbg1-DzIPbhXuHZYhajxqQVZD6kSuWdJeVl_SaO5rgna6f36IAplenCKyYr6evt7FCtz686sBUwGbE9sauyL_QH9Wm2CTYvdq5323fsONq5CLr7uw47FXtPO987-vwH_Fs8kX8TP4K_lT-jw==

here is the video

Spoiler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYQxRIb1OLE

I'm just looking for an AoE build that doesn't cost a ton of currency and is viable through the difficulties. I understand I'm limiting myself, but given I'm not trying to do real hard end game stuff and I have a pretty good grasp of the game I'm thinking this should still work?

Thank you for any advice before I dive into this, until then I'll be back to the Warchief, a very interesting game play itself.
Last bumped on Dec 7, 2016, 10:32:47 AM
This is a good build for you, if you absolutely hate lab, it will still work and probably even pretty well.

But give lab a chance :')
✠ ✠
The thing about Flame Blast build is that large part of their damage output and clearing efficiency rely on ignites and their proliferation to nearby enemies. Elementalist ascendancy Beacon of Ruin provides proliferation effect that is otherwise only obtainable via specific bow item or use of support skill gem. Bow is new in Breach league and must be upgraded with blessing to its 2nd form before it get the effect. Proliferation support gem has less multiplier on it, which makes it very unattractive.

Can you clear all 3 difficulties without ascendancies on that build, sure you can but the question is why would you want to do that. You can pick different caster builds that focus on skills that do not need Ascendancy points to act effectively.

You can swap Flame Blast for Fire Storm without any loss of efficiency as the tree can perfectly support Fire Storm. Fire Storm build, while weaker if not using Ascendancy points, is not limited by lack of effects provided by ascending.
You mention not wanting to use a build that costs a lot of currency, and also say you don't want to benefit from the Ascendancy classes. The fewer sources of damage scaling (and survivability) you have, the more you need to rely on each source of scaling. You'll need to spend more on gear than others would to partially compensate for the lack of Ascendancy classes.

Looking at what Yoji is getting from the Elementalist ascendancy;
- Paragon of Calamity is mostly for ele reflect maps. So, not a concern.
- Shaper of Desolation helps apply status ailments. Might require altering build.
- Beacon of Ruin is a huge buff to status ailments. Might require altering build.
- Pendulum of Destruction is power creep in it's purest form. Just bigger numbers.

I'd recommend altering your gem set-up to reflect the fact that, without the ascendancy, you won't scale with status ailments nearly as well. You could use Elemental Proliferation as a poor man's Beacon of Ruin, or you could decide to ignore status ailments and go all in on the nuke.

There's a few different ways you can approach things, but the build is definitely viable for you. Dropping the Chance To Ignite support is probably the most simple path to take.
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
"
Baron01 wrote:
The thing about Flame Blast build is that large part of their damage output and clearing efficiency rely on ignites and their proliferation to nearby enemies. Elementalist ascendancy Beacon of Ruin provides proliferation effect that is otherwise only obtainable via specific bow item or use of support skill gem. Bow is new in Breach league and must be upgraded with blessing to its 2nd form before it get the effect. Proliferation support gem has less multiplier on it, which makes it very unattractive.

Can you clear all 3 difficulties without ascendancies on that build, sure you can but the question is why would you want to do that. You can pick different caster builds that focus on skills that do not need Ascendancy points to act effectively.

You can swap Flame Blast for Fire Storm without any loss of efficiency as the tree can perfectly support Fire Storm. Fire Storm build, while weaker if not using Ascendancy points, is not limited by lack of effects provided by ascending.

This is the information I was kind of wondering about, this build looks good at it stands but when I take away what I'm going to I was wondering if it would be better to scrap the entire build for a different one. I'm horrible at making builds, but I love making new characters. I also worry about using older builds I find because so many changes happen with this game a lot of older builds simply don't work as they once did.
"
Sarno wrote:
You mention not wanting to use a build that costs a lot of currency, and also say you don't want to benefit from the Ascendancy classes. The fewer sources of damage scaling (and survivability) you have, the more you need to rely on each source of scaling. You'll need to spend more on gear than others would to partially compensate for the lack of Ascendancy classes.

Looking at what Yoji is getting from the Elementalist ascendancy;
- Paragon of Calamity is mostly for ele reflect maps. So, not a concern.
- Shaper of Desolation helps apply status ailments. Might require altering build.
- Beacon of Ruin is a huge buff to status ailments. Might require altering build.
- Pendulum of Destruction is power creep in it's purest form. Just bigger numbers.

I'd recommend altering your gem set-up to reflect the fact that, without the ascendancy, you won't scale with status ailments nearly as well. You could use Elemental Proliferation as a poor man's Beacon of Ruin, or you could decide to ignore status ailments and go all in on the nuke.

There's a few different ways you can approach things, but the build is definitely viable for you. Dropping the Chance To Ignite support is probably the most simple path to take.

When I say not a lot of currency I'm just returning to the game and I'm simply limited on what I can spend because of what I have. I'll gladly farm currency/gear it's just I don't want a build that is centered around "uber item numbers 1-5" and if you don't have them items your build simply doesn't work. I have some currency from my Warchief and can keep playing that to get more, but I suffer from alt-aholic syndrome..
"
wiggin wrote:
This is a good build for you, if you absolutely hate lab, it will still work and probably even pretty well.

But give lab a chance :')

Nah, lab isn't for me, every game has things some like and some don't. I appreciate what it offers to people that like it and I'm not bashing it me and it have just come to an agreement that we don't like each other. So I play the game for the fun things it offers, one of which for me is the HUGE amount of builds out there given I'm kind of ADHD when it comes to characters in games..oh squirrel..oh shiny thing.. lets make a new character.
"
brgmns wrote:
When I say not a lot of currency I'm just returning to the game and I'm simply limited on what I can spend because of what I have. I'll gladly farm currency/gear

Nah, you shouldn't need to farm for it - just where typically I wouldn't be buying gear on PoE Trade before maps, if you're dropping the ascendancy then you might want to try to pick up one or two well rolled rares to help keep your damage going. It'd help with Merciless Malachai, etc.

"
brgmns wrote:
That said in three years I've never made a map

Initially I decided to answer the question then shut it, but if you don't mind me saying, it might be worth trying a single, white, tier 1 map. I'm not going to try to sell you on something you've decided isn't for you or insist the way you have fun is wrong. I'm just thinking that it might be nice to be able to tick that box mentally. "Yep, done a map, seen what the fuss is about - not for me."

It's totally up to you. I can be a completionist in games sometimes, and from your post I'd guess you're not the same way. That's cool - it's just hard not to look at things from your own perspective. :P I don't love maps, but I do like doing the odd one. Something different, y'know?
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
"
Sarno wrote:
"
brgmns wrote:
When I say not a lot of currency I'm just returning to the game and I'm simply limited on what I can spend because of what I have. I'll gladly farm currency/gear

Nah, you shouldn't need to farm for it - just where typically I wouldn't be buying gear on PoE Trade before maps, if you're dropping the ascendancy then you might want to try to pick up one or two well rolled rares to help keep your damage going. It'd help with Merciless Malachai, etc.

"
brgmns wrote:
That said in three years I've never made a map

Initially I decided to answer the question then shut it, but if you don't mind me saying, it might be worth trying a single, white, tier 1 map. I'm not going to try to sell you on something you've decided isn't for you or insist the way you have fun is wrong. I'm just thinking that it might be nice to be able to tick that box mentally. "Yep, done a map, seen what the fuss is about - not for me."

It's totally up to you. I can be a completionist in games sometimes, and from your post I'd guess you're not the same way. That's cool - it's just hard not to look at things from your own perspective. :P I don't love maps, but I do like doing the odd one. Something different, y'know?

With Ascendancy I tried trials, watched videos (lots of videos) and clearly it's not my thing and never will be. With maps, I've just never seen a need to because I've always just kind of did the play through as far as I could or until I got bored with a character then moved on. So it's not a dislike of doing maps (hell I still stash away the rockbreaker hammers and such for maps) it's more of a I've never really saw a reason to do them as the main play through kept me busy enough. I guess it could be interesting to hit a different type zone other then the ones I've always seen, again I'm not against doing them just never have.

As for the build it seems possible I could alter this just a bit and still be viable and fun, thanks for the information and advice.
"
brgmns wrote:

With Ascendancy I tried trials, watched videos (lots of videos) and clearly it's not my thing and never will be. With maps, I've just never seen a need to because I've always just kind of did the play through as far as I could or until I got bored with a character then moved on. So it's not a dislike of doing maps (hell I still stash away the rockbreaker hammers and such for maps) it's more of a I've never really saw a reason to do them as the main play through kept me busy enough. I guess it could be interesting to hit a different type zone other then the ones I've always seen, again I'm not against doing them just never have.

As for the build it seems possible I could alter this just a bit and still be viable and fun, thanks for the information and advice.

I just want to add comment about Lab.

You should not let your dislike of Lab impair your play. There are hundreds and thousands of people that do not like Labyrinth but they still run it at least 2 or 3 times to get some Ascendancy points. There are also people who are dedicated to Lab running and make good profit there.

I'm pretty neutral on Lab. I run it to get 6 and often full 8 Ascendancy points. How annoying Lab run is largely depend on what build you use. Gear has less of an impact until End-game Lab where you need solid gear to be able to survive Izaro.

I would suggest that you get at least 4 Ascendancy points from Normal and Cruel Lab. If I have less than optimal build for running Lab--read as any character without maximum physical mitigation--I tend to run two starting labs at the end of Cruel or even mid-Merciless difficulty. You will have far better gear and lots of levels above Normal and Cruel Lab at that point, which will make the runs much more manageable. 4 points are good enough to get any major effect in an Ascendancy. In your original case, you would be able to get Beacon of Ruin that allows you to proliferate burns for free to nearby enemies--this is core of the build, rest of points would make you stronger or safer but those are just incremental improvements rather than build-defining effects.

Another observation is that the more you run Lab, the less irritating it is. You will get used to lay outs, learn how to handle various traps and get better handle of how to deal with Izaro.

Absolute necessities to run Lab: Basalt flask, 2 or 3 health flasks, movement skill that let you go over gaps and Enduring Cry.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info