Does linking steam account delete characters?

I only play the game through Steam and I just linked my Steam account to my account on this website. However, the duelist character I've been playing on Steam did not appear here. Soon afterward, I started up the game to find that the duelist character is now missing, presumably deleted. Is this a side affect of linking my account or do I have to play POE through something else to access that character?
Last bumped on Feb 22, 2017, 5:39:02 AM
"
Drexif21 wrote:
I only play the game through Steam and I just linked my Steam account to my account on this website.

When you go to the log in page you should notice a green "sign in through STEAM" button. You use that to log in on your Steam account - there's no need to create another account.

"
Drexif21 wrote:
Is this a side affect of linking my account

Well, it's more that you can only have a single account associated with your Steam account, so when you linked your new one it replaced what was there previously.

If you send Support an e-mail they can restore what was lost. Chris Wilson (lead dev) recently posted on Reddit that they've a backlog of ~800 e-mails, so you'll need to forgive them if they're slow getting back to you. But they can help you with this. :)
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
"
Drexif21 wrote:
I only play the game through Steam and I just linked my Steam account to my account on this website. However, the duelist character I've been playing on Steam did not appear here. Soon afterward, I started up the game to find that the duelist character is now missing, presumably deleted. Is this a side affect of linking my account or do I have to play POE through something else to access that character?

Hi there,

I'm sorry about what happened, I've sent you a PM about this!
Problem is resolved, thank you guys very much!
Not to necro the thread, but I've encountered this issue. I linked my steam account to a POE account because I want to play direct from POE Client. I logged in through steam (figured I would play on steam while the poe client downloads in background), and all my characters and progress are gone.
"
mpalindat wrote:
Not to necro the thread, but I've encountered this issue. I linked my steam account to a POE account because I want to play direct from POE Client. I logged in through steam (figured I would play on steam while the poe client downloads in background), and all my characters and progress are gone.

Account linking is for when you want to access your existing Path of Exile account through Steam. So what happens is any Path of Exile account associated with your Steam account is deleted, and then your Path of Exile account is linked to your Steam account.

You're using your Steam account and accessing the brand new Path of Exile account you created. The process has worked normally, it just isn't what you should've used.

Send an e-mail to support@grindinggear.com and they'll be able to restore your account and then unlink it from Steam so you can play using the standalone client.

As an aside, there's no reason to download the game again. Just copy the huge Content.ggpk file from your Steam folder and move it to your new Path of Exile folder. The standalone client is downloading what you already have installed, because it doesn't know it's there.
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
Last edited by Sarno on Feb 22, 2017, 5:39:40 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info