[2.6] LowRes' Elemental Machine Gun Frost Blades Raider [Cheap]

2.6 Update

You'll need to use the offline planner to view this build until the site updates.

Ewar's Build: poeurl.com/6R3

Phys to cold 1h + shield (choose swords, claws or daggers for remaining pts):
poeurl.com/6Rv

Enjoy the build and have fun in Legecy!

Hello and welcome to Elemental Machine Gun (EMG) Frost Blades Raider Guide, where we clear end game content with level 26 weapons! This build has very good map clear speed, is decent at boss killing and is very cheap to get started.

Some Background:

I started Breach league with a ranger, intending to go Blade Flurry like everyone else. But I found this item a long the way:

I tried Ewar's Mirage with Frost Blades and found that it had surprisingly good clear speed and made leveling easy.

How The Build Works:

This is a Crit Elemental Attack build, so most of your damage scaling comes from Auras, Flat Elemental Damage, Attack Speed and Crit. With this in mind, you can still get good DPS numbers with low level weapons. Ewar's Mirage is cheap and gives nice bonuses to projectile attacks. You get the Chain effect without the 31% less damage multiplier from the Chain Support gem. This coupled with the additional projectile from the offhand bonus gives Frost Blades some great AOE clear speed.

Frost Blades also has really long melee range. So the combination of the Multistrike Support Gem and the new melee targeting changes makes for easy targeting of enemies.

Pros:

Fast play style and map clear speed
Very cheap to get started
Good dodge and spell dodge (64%/46%)
Immune to status ailments while at max Frenzy Changes
Can do any map mod except Ele Reflect

Some Downsides:

There is some ramp up time with the Raider ascendancy, as you need to get your frenzy changes rolling to do damage.

Frost Blades long range and Multistrike can be detrimental in some circumstances (i.e. Atziri's split phase). You'll need to switch to a skill like Dual Strike to remedy this.

Updates
Update 12/6/2016:

I finished the day at level 73 in Dried Lake and completed Cruel and Merciless labs. I'm sitting around 21.5k DPS unbuffed and 51k DPS buffed. I'm getting around 200 - 220 Million Exp/Hr in Dried Lake. My Goal is to save up for a Belly of the Beast and move toward the Scion Life wheel to beef up my HP for maps.

Update 12/8/2016:

My character is now level 86, and I made some improvements to my gear. My DPS is roughly 95k fully buffed with Ewar's. I'm also using a pair of 300+ EDPS Jeweled Foils with an Ancestral Protector Totem for better single target damage vs bosses. Speaking of bosses, I've taken down Atziri, Uber Izaro, Xoph, Tul and Esh. I added a video of my Xoph fight to show the build in action.

I also made the following changes to the passive skill tree:

Removed Fury Bolts
Swapped Avatar of the Chase for Avatar of the Veil

Update 12/15/2016

This will probably be my final update for the league, as I'm working on my next build. I managed to solve my single target problem by upgrading to a 6-link Belly of the Beast. I'm
currently running:

Frost Blades > WED > Multistrike > Faster Attacks > Added Lightning > Lightning Pen

I'm also only using Ewar's now, since I get more lightning damage than with foils. This helps the Lighting Pen gem do work on single target.

I added a video of my Uul-Netol kill. He was pretty easy and I was basically able to face tank him for most of the fight.

Gem Links
The Core of the build:
Frost Blades > WED > Multistrike > Faster Attacks

Your 5th and 6th links will depend on your gear / preferences. Options includes:
Crit Strikes, Added Lightning, Added Cold, Lightning Pen and Cold Pen.

Other Links:
Whirling Blades > Faster Attacks > Fortify > Blood Magic
Herald of Thunder > Herald of Ice > Curse on Hit > Assassin's Mark
Cast When Damage Taken > Immortal Call > Inc Duration
Wrath
Everything else is preference

Build
Build Order:

1: Heart of Oak and Primal Spirit (refund later) for the Int and Str.
2: Essence Sap for leveling. If you have Elreon rings, you don't need Essence Sap.
3: Duelist area for Art of the Gladiator, Master of the Arena and Life nodes.
4: Forces of Nature, Fatal Blade, and Frenzy charges after picking up Raider Ascendancy.
5: Shadow area, grabbing Heartseeker and Acrobatics on the way.
6: Around level 65 refund Essence Sap and get Duelist leech.
6: Charisma
7: Scion Life Wheel
8: 2-point Jewels

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAIBABcmeoTQrUHQAAZieRX2m40ILu2DGY4AXtN-fXX-uhmK-wn22hqP73ruDlb63UZjpxGBd9d0oAaiF9wGIBR1W68NjYd2459KfU4qTP8j049gbyeaakMx8kU64di9_grDM1oa2sF07QUteu8uU9NvvqdlTb02R36E2aZXTeP-jzWSo4oj9k2SjX0wfFFHPs-95jfU7T_nVCT9_96NvwW11CMwcd2oS3g6QsLstMVirGyMnaoM8qXLNj3rYxEvKwpvO13yKgtwUonTjDZVS2HiJpUWv7XyeA3AGpcGxKK746lud-MB3JAKapMZtF9wg208vtjV

Bandits
Normal: Oak
Cruel: All or Kraityn
Merciless: Kraiytn

Ascendancy
Raider:
Way of the Poacher, Avatar of the Slaughter, Quartz Infusion, and Avatar of the Veil

You can also go Templar > Inquisitor. I think this would be better than Raider and I plan to try it later in the league. Check out Foxtactic's Frost Blades guide for reference.

Gearing
Try to get as much weapon elemental damage and Flat elemental damage as you can on your gear. This will greatly increase your DPS.

Weapons: 2x Ewar's Mirage
You get 100 Increased Elemental Damage with Weapons and DW bonuses. You also get +1 Chain and Projectile with Frost Blades. These are very cheap.

Body Armor:
Belly of the Beast, Queen of the Forest, Lighting Coil and Kintsugi are all good choices depending on your needs/budget.

A rare body armor with life and resists also works.

Helmet:
Alpha's Howl and Rat's Nest are good DPS options.

A rare helmet with life and resists also works (accuracy is good as well).

Gloves:
I went with rare ES/EV hybrid gloves so that I could easily roll 3B1G. Look for Life, Resists, Attack Speed and Flat Elemental Damage.

Boots:
I went with Darkray Vectors to synergize with the Raider ascendancy. You get +1 Frenzy Charges and +2% Dodge per Frenzy Charge.

Amulet:
Stats to look for: Life, Resists, Crit, Crit Multi, Accuracy, WED, Flat Elemental Damage, Intelligence

Rings:
Try to get breach rings with Life, Accuracy, WED and Flat Elemental Damage. These stats will double in Breaches, greatly increasing your DPS.

Belt:
Try to get a Leather Belt with Life, Resists, Strength and WED.

Jewels
This is the poe.trade search that I used to find jewels: http://poe.trade/search/odomokitaharom

Gear Examples
Cheap Gear Example (Lvl 65)
Gear purchased with 10-15c

Mid Level Gear Example (Lvl 77)

End Game Gear Example (Lvl 91)

FAQs
Q: What about Touch of Anguish?
A: This is an Elemental attack build. Touch of Anguish is for phys scaling builds.

Q: Why Wrath Aura instead of Hatred?
A: You choose Wrath for elemental attack builds. Elemental attack builds want flat elemental damage and attack speed.

You choose Hatred for physical attack scaling builds. Hatred gives % physical damage added as cold damage.

You can go either way with Frost Blades, but the passive trees will be different.

Q: What about Hyaon's Fury or Rebuke of the Vaal?
A: Hyaon's Fury is too much of a liability. It increases the damage you take per frenzy change. You will kill yourself to reflect.

Rebuke of the Vaal is only 130 EDPS. It's pretty bad.

Q: Any leveling tips?
A: Level with 2h weapons until you get to 26. Equip Ewar's and destroy everything.

Q: What about Lighting Strike or Wild Strike?
A: I tried Frost Blades, Lighting Strike and Wild Strike. Personally, I think Frost Blades is the best of the three. Lighting Strike projectiles gets stopped by stuff like rocks on the ground and Wild Strike has a shorter range.

Q: What about Blade Flurry?
A: Yes, Blade Flurry is op, but you'll need to recolor your body armor to use it.

Q: What about Doryani's Catalyst, other South Paw options?
A: Sadly, Southpaw doesn't work for Frost Blades because it can use any melee weapon type.

Q: What about Vaal Pact?
A: Its up to you if you think you need it to survive.

Q: What about Taste of Hate?
A: While Taste of Hate provides great defensive buffs, its offensive buff scales from phys damage. You're better off going with a Basalt Flask. They are much cheaper.

Credit to galahad1st for coining the build name
Last edited by lowres83 on Mar 4, 2017, 3:10:58 AM
Last bumped on Aug 2, 2017, 11:16:52 PM
I added a video to showcase the build in action. I'll add more videos as I progress through the league.
looks nice and cheap, did you die alot? i'm thinking about playing it on hardcore breach.
As of now, I have 0 deaths. If you're planning on trying it in HC, I would go for the Scion life wheel a lot sooner than I did (I'm just picking it up now). You also might want to run Blasphemy + Enfeeble for extra defense. You'd have to drop Wrath or the Heralds to do this.
Thanks for this. I've been thinking about trying Frost Blades this league (and on raider!). I've never played FB before so seeing your video is really helpful. I'm def more likely to try it now. Good work!
Really cool build concept dude, congratulations! Hope you can figure out a good way for single target DPS.
Can you explain which passives you take first and which ones to save for later? I am really enjoying frost blades so far and can't wait to get to end game with this build!
Hello!

So, my question is there any reason to use this over using touch of anguish - outside of avoiding using claws? Touch of anguish gives everything chain too, with the benefit of just simply doing more damage (i think). They also give % cold damage increase, so i feel like you could get pretty good phys to cold conversion. Not sure if the DPS would be more or not, just asking if you've theory crafted it. As a note I ran an assassin frost blades to 88 last league.
"
jtuck523 wrote:
Can you explain which passives you take first and which ones to save for later? I am really enjoying frost blades so far and can't wait to get to end game with this build!

Sure, here's the order I went in:

1: Heart of Oak and Primal Spirit (refund later) for the Int and Str.
2: Essence Sap for leveling. If you have Elreon rings, you don't need Essence Sap.
3: Duelist area for Art of the Gladiator, Master of the Arena and Life nodes.
4: Forces of Nature, Fatal Blade, and Frenzy charges after picking up Raider Ascendancy.
5: Shadow area, grabbing Heartseeker and Acrobatics on the way.
6: Around level 65 refund Essence Sap and get Duelist leech.
6: Charisma
7: Scion Life Wheel
8: 2-point Jewels
"
draktok wrote:
Hello!

So, my question is there any reason to use this over using touch of anguish - outside of avoiding using claws? Touch of anguish gives everything chain too, with the benefit of just simply doing more damage (i think). They also give % cold damage increase, so i feel like you could get pretty good phys to cold conversion. Not sure if the DPS would be more or not, just asking if you've theory crafted it. As a note I ran an assassin frost blades to 88 last league.

Touch of Anguish looks cool, but I wanted to go for a pure Elemental build using Wrath, Heralds, high attack speed and flat elemental damage scaling. Plus I like the range on swords and Ewar's has +110 WED.

That being said, I want to try an Inquisitor version of this build. So maybe I'll also try a Touch of Anguish version as well.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info