Life Leech and Bleed on ES.

It's probably been asked before, but...

...why does life leech not affect ES*, but bleed does?

That, to me, does not make sense.

* Yes, I know about Ghost Reaver.
Last edited by Altissimus on Dec 5, 2016, 6:41:28 AM
Last bumped on Dec 5, 2016, 2:38:36 PM
"
Altissimus wrote:
It's probably been asked before, but...

...why does life leech not affect ES*, but bleed does?

That, to me, does not make sense.

* Yes, I know about Ghost Reaver.

I never looked at it like that before. No clue...but ES + ghost reaver is very strong.
ProbablyGettingNerfed - L100 Occultist
Vinktarded - L100 Pathfinder
GoogleDiversityHire - L100 Necromancer

3.13 was the pinnacle of PoE. IVYS+1 Gang 4 Life.
Just like any other damage type (except chaos (except not using shavs or lorica for example) and damage over time types (again except chaos dot (except bla bla)) will damage ES first.

Bleed technically is part of your life vital, but in this game, it is treated as physical damage over time and that cannot bypass (unless there is a unique item or mechanic that will make it happen) ES.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Dec 5, 2016, 6:52:07 AM
"
JohnNamikaze wrote:
Just like any other damage type (except chaos (except not using shavs or lorica for example) and damage over time types (again except chaos dot (except bla bla)) will damage ES first.

Bleed technically is part of your life vital, but in this game, it is treated as physical damage over time and that cannot bypass (unless there is a unique item or mechanic that will make it happen) ES.

I understand the mechanics.

"Burn" is fire-over-time. Ok, I get that.

"Poison" is chaos-over-time. Even that makes sense.

What, exactly, is "physical-over-time"? Bleed. Right. So how does an energy shield bleed, exactly?

It's not that it should bypass ES, it's that ES should make you immune to bleed - EITHER THAT, or leech should leech to bleed equally as to health. Bring in the world of the Hybrid.
You can justify it thematically if you want because the energy shield is protecting your life, which would otherwise be damaged.
There is no reason to change it, neither balancewise nor thematically.

a) ES is already way stronger than life, so no reason to buff it

b) ES covers/closes the bleeding wound preventing you from taking direkt dmg, but putting strain on it in turn.
The Bestiary league proved once and for all, that GGG only listens to crying instead of well thought out criticism.
The mechanic is ES taking damage before life except Chaos damage. but life leech its bring to life instead of ES .
Someone actually brought up this fridge-logic question before, but my answer then didn't really satisfy him, so I will modify it a little bit.

Bleeding is a perforation in your corporeal form that causes leakage. When you have Energy shield, this means that there is a nasty cut in your shield that causes Shield to leak out and somehow become red because this is Wraeclast and all effects of this type manifest as blood even in bloodless entities (Skeletons, Totems, etc.)

Once your Shield runs out, the ripped hole expands to your body and begins draining from your Life.

Life Leech, however, is pure vitality force being stolen from your Hits. Without the ability to Ghost Reave, that pure life force is just that - Life. Leech might be a bit of a misnomer here - no blood is actually transferred, just life force. You can think of it as "DamageForce converted to LifeForce." Of course, LifeForce is incompatible with your Energy Shield, which though corporeal, is otherworldly, so you can't just convert between them like that.

So the corporeality allows Bleeding to affect Energy Shield before Life, but the otherworldliness means Leech goes only to Life without the ability to Ghost Reave.
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
"
adghar wrote:
Someone actually brought up this fridge-logic question before, but my answer then didn't really satisfy him, so I will modify it a little bit.

Bleeding is a perforation in your corporeal form that causes leakage. When you have Energy shield, this means that there is a nasty cut in your shield that causes Shield to leak out and somehow become red because this is Wraeclast and all effects of this type manifest as blood even in bloodless entities (Skeletons, Totems, etc.)

Once your Shield runs out, the ripped hole expands to your body and begins draining from your Life.

Life Leech, however, is pure vitality force being stolen from your Hits. Without the ability to Ghost Reave, that pure life force is just that - Life. Leech might be a bit of a misnomer here - no blood is actually transferred, just life force. You can think of it as "DamageForce converted to LifeForce." Of course, LifeForce is incompatible with your Energy Shield, which though corporeal, is otherworldly, so you can't just convert between them like that.

So the corporeality allows Bleeding to affect Energy Shield before Life, but the otherworldliness means Leech goes only to Life without the ability to Ghost Reave.

Er...ok.

Are you sure? I always just thought of it as congealed orange juice.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info