[2.5] Molten Cyclone | Ngamahu's Flame Cyclone + Vaal Cyclone

No longer updating this. There are plenty of great guides out there at this point.

Suggested by a few people for a Ngamahu's Flame Cyclone build I am playing in the Breach League. I will update as my character progresses to end game. Will add stats. This is my first guide, any suggestions are appreciated.

Pros

- Fun
- Tanky, high regen
- DPS can be scaled well
- Breach destroyer
- Mechanically Interesting
- Spicy Meatballs!

Cons

- Elemental Reflect
- Low to Moderate Mobility
- Dexterity and Intelligence requirements
- Clunky Cyclone
- FPS Drops
- Limited Gem Sockets
- Lower Single Target compared to other builds

Passive Tree

Gems

I will clean this up later. Still working on the optimal gem combinations.

Weapon

You want to get a six socket here. If you choose to use Vaal Cylone you'll want a 5L. Ideally you can link everything to Vaal Cyclone except GMP because it has no effect.

Right now I swap Vaal Cyclone with Physical Projectile Attack Damage depending on single target vs AoE

Recommended:
Weapon Elemental Damage
Greater Multiple Projectiles
Life Gain On Hit
Added Fire Damage

Single Target:
Physical Projectile Attack Damage
Concentrated Effect

Map Clearing:
Vaal Cyclone
Increased Area of Effect

Other Options:
Point Blank
Fire Penetration

Chest

Recommended:

Cyclone
Melee Physical Damage
Weapon Elemental Damage
Fortify
Added Fire Damage
Increased Area of Effect/ Concentrated Effect

Swap to Fire Penetration if you feel tanky enough.

Helm

Lots of options here. Herald of Ash is recommended.

Current Setup:
Herald of Ash
Arctic Armor
Blasphemy
Flammability

Optional:
Warlord's Mark
Determination
Purity of Fire

Gloves

Ideally getting Insanity gloves.

Leap Slam
Faster Attacks
Blood Rage

Optional:

Fortify (if not linked to Cyclone)
Blood Magic (in case of mana issues)
Enduring Cry

Boots

I have my CWDT setup here. Started with Immortal Call, but found its not worth losing Endurance Charges

Recommended:
Cast When Damage Taken
Vaal Haste
Increased Duration

Optional:
Molten Shell
Immortal Call

Ascendancy

Chieftain

Hinekora, Death's Fury -> Ramako, Sun's Light -> Tawhoa, Forest's Strength

Any preferred ascendancy for Cyclone will also fit here. I chose Chieftain as a nice balance between offense and defense. This build can fully utilize all of the benefits of Chieftain. Plus it fits the theme nicely.

Uniques

Required

Basis of the build. Try to get a 6 socket as soon as possible.

Molten Bust can be supported by the following damage types:

- Weapon (but not Melee damage)
- Projectile
- Physical
- Elemental
- Fire
- Area

Recommended

Huge boost to Dexterity to meet gem requirements. The attack speed more than makes up for the Physical Damage penalty.

Amazing amulet for this build. Great damage boosts.

Avatar of fire also increases overall DPS. The only downside is you lose the benefits of having mana/life leech from Physical Damage. Elemental reflect also becomes tougher to handle.

Covered in Ash is really good utility.

Optional

Good Damage with Reflect defense at the cost of life, resistances and item rarity.

Flasks

Required

Optional

Dying Sun (will be god tier)
Lion's Roar

Current Gear

Leveling

I chose to level as a typical Earthquake build until was ready to switch to Cyclone

1-12 Ground Slam, Cleave
12-28 Sunder
28-60 Earthquake
60+ Cyclone

Bandits

Normal - Oak
Cruel - Kraityn, Oak, Passive
Merciless - Endurance or Frenzy

I chose Attack Speed (mostly for leap slam) and Endurance Charge.

Videos

Coming Soon!

Quick Preview:
https://youtu.be/jUTp0rYoBk0

FAQ

Will add as necessary.

Updates

12.5.2016 - Guide created, updated formatting
12.5.2016 - Pros & Cons, Bandits, Uniques, Flasks, FAQ
12.6.2016 - Update current gear, fix typos
12.7.2016 - Updated current gear, uniques
twitch.tv/kursur
Last edited by ScrollThief on Jan 29, 2017, 10:49:55 PM
Last bumped on Jan 29, 2017, 8:31:50 PM
What about breachlords? Are they killable with this? Build looks pretty good.
Damn, and I thought I had unique build. Great to see someone else was thinking about this too :D
Laihduttakaa.
"
zyxas wrote:
What about breachlords? Are they killable with this? Build looks pretty good.

Xoph is the only one I've attempted so I could upgrade the Xoph amulet. Killed him pretty easily 4 times so far. Might not mean much though since I've heard a few people say Xoph is the easiest of the breach lords.
twitch.tv/kursur
Looks great, is the reason for Iron Grip just for the molten burst? If so, are you seeing significant damage boost with it?
Last edited by HiMyNameIsBrak on Dec 5, 2016, 8:31:49 PM
Perhaps a noob question but does herald of ash even work with this build considering we convert 100% of our physical damage into fire and HoA works off of physical damage? Or does it calculate the bonus HoA damage before the conversion?
"
Looks great, is the reason for Iron Grip just for the molten burst? If so, are you seeing significant damage boost with it?

It boosted my Molten Burst from 2700 to 3200 avg damage. I believe it's worth it over a single physical damage node. For large pack clearing and breaches, Molten Burst is pretty reliable.

I'm interested to see if anyone is making a build fully investing in Molten Burst and how viable that would be.
twitch.tv/kursur
"
Anbokr wrote:
Perhaps a noob question but does herald of ash even work with this build considering we convert 100% of our physical damage into fire and HoA works off of physical damage? Or does it calculate the bonus HoA damage before the conversion?

Both the added damage and overkill damage work here.

The extra fire damage is added to the damage total before increases are applied. The total damage can be scaled by physical and fire damage increases.

Source: http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Damage_conversion
twitch.tv/kursur
I'm looking to roll this build soon (just bought a perfect Ngamahu's Flame) and I'm curious as to what made you decide on Chieftan over Berserker. I was also leaning towards Chieftan + AW totem but the leech and raw damage from Berserker is also tempting, especially with a Kaom's or something.

How's reflect? I imagine it's better without the amulet but then you lose some damage/utility.
This build looks really awesome. I am currently playing a slayer with cyclone. Do you think Slayer is a viable ascendancy for this or should I make a marauder?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info