Bye bye for now, or most likely forever...

can understand you OP

big part of the poe-drive left me when i read the patch notes. the notes describing total and complete 'out of touch experience' developers have with their own product

and i think Chris himself told us why it is so: POE's i no longer a team effort with common goal and common vision. it is a bunch of individuals doing their stuff not really talking to each other. and you know what? the end result is JUST THAT: collection of random ideas and implementations that 'click' sometimes and fizzle out way more often. no wonder noone cares about balance or integrity when he is pushing is pet-peewe idea across

90 strong corpo? thats'a a new one.
"
sidtherat wrote:
Chris himself told us why it is so: POE's i no longer a team effort with common goal and common vision. it is a bunch of individuals doing their stuff not really talking to each other. and you know what? the end result is JUST THAT: collection of random ideas and implementations that 'click' sometimes and fizzle out way more often. no wonder noone cares about balance or integrity when he is pushing is pet-peewe idea across

I wish someone at GGG's "random ideas and implementations" was:
- Giving a shit about melee, or
- Giving a shit about gameplay before maps, or
- Giving a shit about balancing skills, or
- Giving a shit about making supports require thought, or
- Working on enemy AI so it's not just hyper-speed clay pigeon shooting simulator

As always, the game is enjoyed despite its many flaws. There are good things here sometimes.
Last edited by pneuma on Dec 5, 2016, 1:43:42 AM
I agree with the general complaint about this League - The breaches, while a great concept, overemphasize the importance of massive amounts of waveclear and a hands-off approach to gameplay, which is something the game's been leaning into for a while with things like Blade Vortex and Reach of the Council. It used to be that these builds simply had the advantage because they could blast through content faster, getting more levels and money for the same time investment. With Breach, you need a build that can slaughter huge numbers of enemies while operating with minimal information or feedback because you will get swarmed so hard so fast you don't have time to stop and think about what's going on. If you stop to look at an enemy or try to figure out which enemies do what you will die more often than not. Doubly so if you play a squishier build. I still couldn't tell you how many times I've seen a Breachlord spawn because in the colorful mess of combat, trying to dodge flame pillars and ground spikes and lightning orbs while still finding the time to cast things, I couldn't honestly tell what I'm looking at.
"
GeorgAnatoly wrote:

As pure arpgs sure they are better but I don't think any arpg will be able to compete at PoE's level without being online and having some kind of active economy.

Titan Quest has been around before PoE, so it already had its share of fame during its time. It is great that TQ is referenced once in a while since that implies its impact it made the ARPG genre along Diablo 1 and 2, and the Sacred franchise (the first two Sacred) for example.

As for Grim Dawn, I do not think Crate has PoE in the meeting room stamped as a "motivator" to improve their own game completely. Crate is focused in making the best ARPG game they can possibly do. Whether it only sales 50 copies (yea right, I heard about half a year back, they hit 500k) or 50,000,000, they want to make their customer happy (not an easy task). Diablo 3 is an example of success in sales, but not a success in the heart of the customer. Of course, I do not think Actiblizz really cares too much about that as long it brings them food to the table.

I am not saying you are wrong, but PoE will eventually run its course and another ARPG will carry the torch, the same way PoE did with D2.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

"
pneuma wrote:
"
sidtherat wrote:
Chris himself told us why it is so: POE's i no longer a team effort with common goal and common vision. it is a bunch of individuals doing their stuff not really talking to each other. and you know what? the end result is JUST THAT: collection of random ideas and implementations that 'click' sometimes and fizzle out way more often. no wonder noone cares about balance or integrity when he is pushing is pet-peewe idea across

I wish someone at GGG's "random ideas and implementations" was:
- Giving a shit about melee, or
- Giving a shit about gameplay before maps, or
- Giving a shit about balancing skills, or
- Giving a shit about making supports require thought, or
- Working on enemy AI so it's not just hyper-speed clay pigeon shooting simulator

As always, the game is enjoyed despite its many flaws. There are good things here sometimes.
My favorite is how people with like 10 chaos builds can completely out do anything that requires even a ounce of investment.

Here i am yet again wondering why i even bothered trying to roll my 6L Coronal in the new league when the mod chance of hitting anything even above 300 PDPS is fucking abysmal. Waste most my currency, sell the 6L, cut my losses. Now im still on a shitty 5/4L again because apparently im expected to just use the unique items that keep getting added because its fucking impossible to rolled even a decent mid tier physical weapon, and they know it.

Meanwhile Timmy over there spams a few woes on a dagger/wand and is set for the rest of the league because rolling spell items significantly more easy than rolling anything physical.

I could probably write 20 pages worth of issues the game now has and it would be ignored just like every other highly detailed thread ive made on melee/game balance.

Honestly, i dont even know why im bothering to play this league either at this point. Melee is still shit, im not having fun. The dependency between the cost in a broken as shit build and a mediocre build is hilariously tilted. Theres no fucking reason why Facebreaker Warchief Totem builds should have god tier survivability while also pulling 300k~+ DPS, and all it cost is a fucking pair of Facebreakers, literally a god damn chaos orb. These "budget" builds are soo broken it isnt even funny.

Its basically play whats broken or dont play at all, its been that way for a while now.
Harvest sucks! But look at my decked out gear two weeks in!

Labyrinth salt farm miner.

"But my build diversity" , "Game is too hard!" - Meta drone playing the same 1-3 builds for years.
Last edited by Tin_Foil_Hat on Dec 6, 2016, 12:58:06 AM
What I don't get is why do we get a clearspeed league? Why incentify what everyone is doing already?

I remember when the peeps over at GGG did something to the game to encourage players to try new things.

Where did that go?

I'd like to see rewards for the slow, tactical and well planned approach. (uber lab gets old)

When dedicated longterm HC players switch to SC, something is off.
Perception is reality.
Great read, +1 to OP and most of the posts here.
This helped me to better understand why I'm playing GD and can't play PoE ( standard, let alone leagues or hc) atm... might have to (re)play TQ also.
"Metas rotate all the time, eventually the developers will buff melee"
PoE 2013-2018
You lost all credibility when you said BF was OP.
Deliver pain exquisite

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info