[Need Advice] Block For Bosses

Hi, I am trying to refine my cyclone-coc melee build and now having dilemma, wondering if I should invest in [Block+/Spellblock] or more damage.

I don't care about map mods or earning currency or clear speed or whatever, I just wish to know if [Block+/SpellBlock] is a worthwhile investment when fighting the following bosses:
1) Uber Izaro - to get my last 2 ascendancy points
2) Guardians - to finish the story
3) Shaper - to finish the story

Those veterans who fought these bosses before, can you please share me your thought if max-ing [block+/spell block] will be helpful against these bosses? I would hate to invest passive skill points and unique items to get [Block+/SpellBlock], only to find all these bosses' attacks/spells simply ignore [block+/spellblock]....

Thanks!
Last bumped on Dec 3, 2016, 10:43:24 PM
There are a total of 4 mob skills that ignore block and spell block. These effects are called secondary damage.

1. Beartrap, I don't think any of those uses it.
2. Detonate Dead
3. Minion Instability
4. Falling Rocks

I'm not 100% sure about the last one it could be a spell too. Everything else can be blocked, usually if an enemy walks up to you and hits you it is an attack. For projectiles it is not so obvious.

Although you should note that degeneration damage can not be avoided by block but the source can. So if you block Puncture, it deals no damage so you won't bleed. If you walk onto burning ground block doesn't matter.

So for Uber Izaro go with Block. Exspecially compared with Endurance Charges and some Armor he gets very easy.

Shaper and Guardians are a whole other story. They have attacks that are often far too dangerous to rely on a block, because as much as you can block you only have 75% or a bit more, but never 100%. So in those fights blocking is more a backup if you fail to dodge manually, it doesn't straight out protect you, but might give you a second chance. If you fail to move out of shapers beam you might be dead or luckily blocked it you should still try all you can to avoid it.
"
Emphasy wrote:
There are a total of 4 mob skills that ignore block and spell block. These effects are called secondary damage.

1. Beartrap, I don't think any of those uses it.
2. Detonate Dead
3. Minion Instability
4. Falling Rocks

I'm not 100% sure about the last one it could be a spell too. Everything else can be blocked, usually if an enemy walks up to you and hits you it is an attack. For projectiles it is not so obvious.

Although you should note that degeneration damage can not be avoided by block but the source can. So if you block Puncture, it deals no damage so you won't bleed. If you walk onto burning ground block doesn't matter.

So for Uber Izaro go with Block. Exspecially compared with Endurance Charges and some Armor he gets very easy.

Shaper and Guardians are a whole other story. They have attacks that are often far too dangerous to rely on a block, because as much as you can block you only have 75% or a bit more, but never 100%. So in those fights blocking is more a backup if you fail to dodge manually, it doesn't straight out protect you, but might give you a second chance. If you fail to move out of shapers beam you might be dead or luckily blocked it you should still try all you can to avoid it.

Hmmm....sounds like block isn't entirely useless against them....
In that case, let's say, before Guardian/Shaper fight, you can choose to have a buff of either:
A) Get 50% block chance and 50% spell block chance (assume you are now at 0% for both)
or
B) 150% Increased DPS
Which one would you pick?

Also, for those hard-hitting skills, how much ES is considered safe to not be one-shot-KO?
Last edited by UnknownGst on Dec 3, 2016, 10:02:03 PM
Disclaimer that I haven't fought Guardians or Shaper yet. But personally, out of those two, I would pick the block.

Block is a very powerful defense against Attack and Spell DPS. 50/50 attack/spell is equivalent to 100% more EHP against Attack and Spell DPS, or it takes twice as long for enemies to kill you with Attacks and Spells on average.

In comparison, most builds have at least 300% existing damage by end endgame, which means 150% increased damage would be at most 37.5% more damage, or about 27.3% less time taken to kill an enemy on average.

Of course, many would disagree with me; Block does absolutely nothing against the threat of a One Hit Kill given the inevitability of a One Hit Kill-ing strike, which should very much be assumed during tough boss fights. In those situations, block is more of a lucky charm.
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
Not sure, but I think the void deathray of phys degen doom from shaper can't be blocked. Reduced dot taken is supposed to help though... and you can craft that on shields.
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info