The Stormcaller Mystery Box

New MTX looks good! Don't like dealing with the boxes though. I'll wait till I can buy them individually.
"
MajorThor wrote:
Storm caller character effect looks sick as shit.

Smexy effect, if you know what I mean :3
"
Mindsmog wrote:
"
Sarno wrote:
Absolutely hate these boxes.

They're the only way you monetize PoE that I object to. Everything else (incl. stash tabs) is fine.

sick of seeing people whinge about this..its simple dont bloody buy them then.

That might be a compelling response if I was saying I didn't personally like a particular cosmetic MTX and was moaning because they added something I didn't like the aesthetic of.

The actual complaint, however, is that I believe the mystery boxes are morally dubious and it affects how I see Grinding Gear Games as a company. They effectively monetize good will, and if people start seeing them as a shady company, it's going to affect their income.

If you like them, then that's cool - maybe an acceptable compromise would be if there wasn't a delay between the boxes going on sale and the individual MTX becoming available. But if you don't me saying, your post seems to just be "I disagree, go away." It didn't change my mind and I don't think it would affect how GGG would feel about the idea of mystery boxes, either.
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
I'll just throw my opinion here about these boxes.

Maybe i'm wrong but reading these comments feels like the number of boxes bought by a person is inversely proportional to his desire to buy the new ones. This means they didn't like the deal.

Well, the deal is there and no1 is fooling any1. For 30 coins you have the chance to get unreleased stuff and way cheaper than it's price when (if) it gets released on the shop. It is also obvious that "cheap" stuff are more likely to come out from the box than "expensive stuff", as it is also obvious that only a few people will be "lucky" while most will be unlucky opening these boxes.

One way to make the deal more "transparent" would be displaying the individual probabilities to obtain each item from the box.

But tbh, that system relies basically on people that don't know when to stop, so they keep buying the boxes even if it's not the best deal anymore and at the end they get mad (and are very unlikely to buy the next boxes)

Two things that could favor the customers without "penalizing" too much your money income from boxes would be:

1 - Some items shouldn't be given twice: Most people don't want 10 boots from the same set or 10 wither spell effect (I say "most" because there is always that one guy with a weird argument explaning why he wants 10 boots from the same set). Other items like decorations you can still get more than one.

2 - A Threshold for the ammount of coins one spends with boxes: IF someone reaches this threshold he automatically gets the remaining important items (set, totem effect, wings...the ones that can't be given twice and are harder to get). Something like a more % from what one would normally spend buying all these items from the shop. At least people would be like "I can be lucky OR in worst case I'll waste this ammount to get what I want" instead of "should i keep trying?" he keeps trying, don't get what he wants, get mad and don't buy the next box.

A happy costumer comes back
An unhappy costumer doesn't come back and makes negative advertisement
"
taylorfest wrote:
"
I would love to know the prices of the new items for when they are available later on. I really want the Arcane Character Effect, Stormcaller Character Effect, Arcane Book Totem Skill Effect and Lightning Swarm Pet. Problem is, if any of these are too expensive, I might not ever get them. Knowing their price now rather than later might inspire people to try their luck with the mystery boxes.

You can get a decent idea of what prices might be by looking at other armor sets and such currently on the store.

Good point! :) Most of these can be calculated quite easily. However, I have noticed a trend in that most of the similar MTX have increased in price with each new one that comes out. I'm putting these in order of when they were released, newest to oldest, with for example the Dragon Totem Skin being the newest and the Tiki Totem Skin being the oldest, and you can see that prices for similar MTX have gone up over time. Same with the swarm pets, though there's only been 2.

Going off that assumption...

Arcane Book Totem Skill Effect: 90-110 (possibly 120)
Dragon Totem Skin: 110
Ziggurat Totem Skin: 100
Eagle Guardian Totem Skin: 90
Olmec Totem: 90
Tiki Totem Skin: 90

Lightning Swarm Pet: 45-55 (possibly 65)
Ghostflame Swarm Pet: 55
Firefly Swarm Pet: 45

A quick skim of back attachments shows that the newer things can run anywhere from 100 to 300+ if you count some of the wings. I imagine that Battery Back Attachment will be pricey when it gets released. Probably around 250-280 or more. Armor packs are always 420 total. Decorations can be pricey as well, I'm guessing 70 at the lowest and as much as 200 at the highest, but probably more like 120 or so. The character effects are a complete mystery, though. We don't have anything to compare them to, just dances and portal effects, neither of which are anything like those. Maybe 100 each? Hopefully nothing outrageous.
"
tackle70 wrote:
RIP this game's ethical mtx policy

sadbuttrue
IGN: NoySL
i've spent too much on this game...
nice!

damn i hate my addiction, save me, atleast the new items dont seem as rare as last few boxes, the battery pack was rarest for me:

Spoiler

Baked Beans - Meme Dreams
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ_a2zFbPIIiE4kURsvQ4Dw
I think this'll be the first mystery box I skip. I really dislike the steampunk mtx effects. I also agree you should be able to sell back mtx you don't want for like 1/2 of what you spent, or something along those lines.
Support a free Hong Kong.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with
sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.
-Galileo Galilei

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info