[2.5] Era of Flicker [Compact Build Plan]

I came up with a build idea from this thread
but instead of Duelist + Cyclone you use Raider + Flicker

Spoiler

Any socketed supports apply to "Molten Burst" and do not need to be linked!

I believe the multiple projectiles / hits from this weapon + Flicker should be enough to sustain Frenzy charges against bosses - and if it fails to do so should fill them up instantly using a fast single target skill like Frenzy / Double Strike...

Here is my planned tree

Thoughts?
Last edited by Agent_Wesker on Dec 9, 2016, 11:22:16 AM
So I am having a bit of an issue with damage and being able to push into higher tier maps. I am currently doing the Frenzy 5L setup and it does help you get charges but the damage doesn't really seem like much. In fact flicker strike is still higher single target damage for me if I have frenzy charges so all I really use frenzy for is to get charges.

My flicker has 3,830 tooltip DPS with Hatred up, and I recall people in this thread saying they had 12k+ tooltip DPS and their gear didn't seem three times better than mine. On decent maps I end up just jumping all over the place and I end up auto flickering to the next pack in range before the one I started at is even cleared.

I am speedfarming T6 blue maps because over all single target dmg is so low that I still have problems with quite a few bosses. Especially now that I am pushing into T6 yellow maps to complete the atlas I am sometimes having to use all my ports for a boss and it's still not enough.

I just bought a Kintsugi which was great for mitigating damage but now I'm poor so can't really afford any upgrades atm but would love recommendations on what I could fix or what piece of gear would help me next the most that I should start looking for.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Techneeq/characters
Last edited by Techneeq on Dec 9, 2016, 7:05:10 PM
"
master_axe2 wrote:
Poacher's Mark is a waste, imo. The 2 duelist mana /hybrid leech nodes necessary to get life leech are more than enough sustain. Kill speed > frenzy generation.
I can agree that Poacher's Mark is lackluster when it comes to increasing our damage, but it's quite good for sustaining mana. Would want to switch it out with either Vulnerabilty or Enfeeble when mana can be sustained without it. I refer to the answer I made about mana sustain on page 6 on why mana leech on it's own wont be a feasible source to sustain our mana pool while flickering.

"
master_axe2 wrote:
I also feel that this build needs vaal pact. I'm not against running blood rage + vaal pact, that's what health potions are for. Also, diamond flasks can be used 4 times with chemists and belt. Easy 100% uptime. Then maybe getting the big life leech node Hematophagy for face tanking.
Yeah, I really wished I could pick up Vaal Pact since it basically makes life leech 5 times more effective. Thing is, it takes 4 redundant points to get to it due to our pathing in the tree, which is alot of points that could possibly be better spent in other places. Another solution is to get Atziri's Acuity, which also solves mana problems by making mana leech instant. But the reason why I didn't want to include it in the building plan is because of its price tag.

"
master_axe2 wrote:
I'm also thinking the new axe, Kitava's Feast, is the real endgame weapon. The 7-link allows for either Fortify (and no need for the duelist leech nodes), or maybe something like Physical to Lightning + WED + Added Fire Damage (using the WED and pen nodes near Ondar's or arrow dancing w/e it's called).
Kitava's Feast is a really nice weapon for Flicker due to its high base damage, built-in leech and of course 7L through built-in Melee Splash. The thing is, this Build plan is basically built around Hegemony's Era as its main item. However, if you'd really like to use Kitava's instead, I'd suggest going non-crit due to its low base crit (you can of course go crit by using Diamond Flask, but reason why I don't like Diamond Flask is because you can't refill it in tough boss fights without minions). Just drop Crit and Endurance/Power Charge nodes, change some stuff in your gear like swapping golem type, dropping Hinekora's Sight and you should be good to go.

"
master_axe2 wrote:
How much does the flicker CD enchant help?

Over 10 seconds, instead of 5 free flickers, we get 7.15. Let's say we cast flicker about 50 times in 10 seconds. 5 out of 50 is 10% free, 7.15 out of 50 is about 14.3%. So overall we only get 4% more frenzy charges, using a conservative estimate of 5 APS (w/o multistrike ofc)?
The best Enchant is increased damage per Frenzy Charge, since you will have 4 or more Frenzy Charges up at most times. Second best enchantment is of course flat increased Flicker damage. 30% lower cooldown is only good if you are struggling keeping Frenzy Charges up.

"
notzizka wrote:
I'm thinking of trading out Atziri's step for +1 darkray vectors, for 9 total frenzy charges and easier capped resists. I don't think that the reduced charge duration is a concern with this build.
Darkray Vectors may seem like a good item at first, but there are two main reasons why we are using Atziri's Step instead. The first reason is because of how the build mitigates damage. This build utilizes several sources to mitigate physical damage taken (Endruance Charges / Immortal Call) and damage taken from attacks (Evasion / Dodge), but our only source to mitigate damage from Elemental/Chaos Spells (aside from capped resistances) is through Spell Dodge. The second reason is because it gives life, which is needed on as many items as possible to achieve a high health pool for all damage that can't be evaded. Lastly, 30% increased movement speed is awesome. ;P

"
notzizka wrote:
Also thinking about gloves. Shadow and dust has mana leech, which would free up a jewel mod, and rampage should be fun in breaches. Another alternative would be Acuity, for instant leech and a higher level vulnerability due to the high amount of int on them.
Both of those are great choices, I'd personally lean more toward Acuity (for the stated reasons) if I could freely choose between those two without any economical restrictions. Just remember to keep resistances capped when using uniques instead of rares.

"
Agent_Wesker wrote:
I came up with a build idea from this thread
but instead of Duelist + Cyclone you use Raider + Flicker
Spoiler

Any socketed supports apply to "Molten Burst" and do not need to be linked!

I believe the multiple projectiles / hits from this weapon + Flicker should be enough to sustain Frenzy charges against bosses - and if it fails to do so should fill them up instantly using a fast single target skill like Frenzy / Double Strike...

Here is my planned tree
The idea seems solid if I understand the unique effect on that axe correctly (basically a 20% chance to cast molten strike projectiles on attack?), however the passive tree does not. It seems you are going low-crit, which is kinda confusing since it means you have to worry about accuracy. I assume you will be using the Xoph's Blood which means you can't use Hinekora to solve accuracy problems and have to rely on heavy Accuracy from rare Helm/Gloves/Rings or Accuracy Gem. It would be much simpler to just try and path towards Resolute Technique instead of Elemental Overload, since that will enable you to get alot more damage out of your gear instead. Also, by pathing towards RT you will also be able to pick up cool nodes like Lava Lash and Forces of Nature.

"
Techneeq wrote:
So I am having a bit of an issue with damage and being able to push into higher tier maps. I am currently doing the Frenzy 5L setup and it does help you get charges but the damage doesn't really seem like much. In fact flicker strike is still higher single target damage for me if I have frenzy charges so all I really use frenzy for is to get charges.
The main purpose of Frenzy IS to generate Frenzy Charges when you are out of them, for example when you enter a map and want to get Flicker going or vs a tough boss that wont go down by spending all Frenzy Charges on him. Flicker is our main source of damage and will be used as often as we can.

"
Techneeq wrote:
My flicker has 3,830 tooltip DPS with Hatred up, and I recall people in this thread saying they had 12k+ tooltip DPS and their gear didn't seem three times better than mine. On decent maps I end up just jumping all over the place and I end up auto flickering to the next pack in range before the one I started at is even cleared.
As far as I can see you are severely lacking accuracy. Try and get a Hinekora's Sight as fast as possible, since that amulet bumped my self-buffed non-combat damage from 3.8k to like 5.2k. At the moment I am having about 8.8k tooltip in combat and I don't really have any problems so far (doing T8-T9 maps). Also, on the topic of jumping all over the place, that's pretty much how Flicker works. It does help if you one-shot packs but even then it can be a bitch sometimes and get you way off. Try using Leap Slam regularly if Flicker misbehaves. :)

"
Techneeq wrote:
I am speedfarming T6 blue maps because over all single target dmg is so low that I still have problems with quite a few bosses. Especially now that I am pushing into T6 yellow maps to complete the atlas I am sometimes having to use all my ports for a boss and it's still not enough.
With the above change most bosses should become alot easier, some will of course still be hard to kill as a flicker. But a careful playstyle of Frenzy-hitting, Flickering and running around will help you down most bosses. If not, try getting a little bit more of life leech on Gloves/Rings/Jewels. If that doesn't help either, then try respec some damage nodes and pick up Vaal Pact.

Also known as: Noxterous
Last edited by Zelkor on Dec 10, 2016, 10:39:04 PM
So I've spent the better portion of the last week making currency and I finally picked up a a Cospri (replaced Hyrri's) and basically redid all my gear so i'm essentially in full endgame gear, minus some small HP upgrades on rares in future, and 6-links.

Have 5L hegemony, 5L Cospri, 75% all resists, and even Chaos is at 10% which isn't too shabbby.
So far seems quite strong, im plowing through T9-T10 maps with no difficulty. Haven't found any T11+ yet unfortunately, but should be soon - don't see myself struggling with anything til t13+.

I'm confused as to what to use to generate my 2nd curse.
Since I dropped the Essence Worm, and am only running Hatred+Blasphemy, I can't afford to run HoI+Curse On Hit.
Is that the only other way to generate a 2nd curse from Cospri?
Any suggestions?

I really rather not switch back to an Essence Worm as that would mess up all my resists. Was the Cospri just not worth it? The poison damage seems really negligible at the moment. My defenses also went way down compares to Hyrri's - which has 700-800 more evasion, and 10% dodge/spell dodge.

Is my only option to switch back to Essence Worm so that I can run HoI + Frost Bite + Curse on Hit, to still run Hatred + Blasph?

Cospri CoC Cold->Fire Trickster:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2576559
Divine Ire Trickster:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2459778
Last edited by KooperT on Dec 10, 2016, 10:28:53 PM
Btw, I'd first like to mention that I really appreciate the fact that you are taking the time and doing such a thorough reply to everyone else's as well as my questions in this thread.

I'll start working on all the upgrades you recommended. I'm already back up at 50 chaos after getting Kintsugi so I can get a few things. Just if I get the neck I'll have to fix my resists a bit so I'll also change up my rings I think. This will hopefully help me with merc lab since I keep running out of flask charges while on the third Izaro fight because it take so long.

And okay, if the main point of frenzy is just to get charges then I see no need for putting multi strike and added fire on it. I'll probably try out the ancestral warchief setup or just make something up that I like.
how well do you think this tree and gear would go with cyclone?
Hi,

So I have been following this build since the start of the Breach league. The start was hard ofc, since currency is harder to come by, had some doubts while leveling. A great dmg boost was the Hinekora's sight amulet, didn't think that accuracy had such a big impact on dmg. Then I kept collecting currency, 5linked hegemony. After big decisions between Cospri's and Kintsugi I finally got a Kintsugi and it is great! Got a helm with 6% damage per frenzy charge enchant for about 15c. For mana I bought a ring with mana leech which helped alot against bosses. Would like to know if there would be any ways to drop Poacher's for other curse, since I can't think of any.

After reaching level 81 I decided to try uber lab (did a 1 key run +1 from Argus) and I was really doubting I could finish it but I did it, alot of kiting, jumping with leap slap for fortify and he died, the chance to dodge helped alot. So imo the build is great, works fine and I love it.

For late game I am going to try to get +9% dmg per frenzy charge helm enchant, then I'm thinking of +1 frenzy Atziri's step, 6L Hegemony and maybe a Lion's roar or Taste of hate flask and maybe a hinekora's with +1 frenzy?. Feel free to check out my profile name: SmardveFLCKR. I'll update my review once I manage to get some sweet items.

Thanks Zelkor for a great build!

-EDIT- So I just tried to simply drop poachers and try going without it, and I have no mana problems! The passive node Revelry + jewel with mana on hit + ring with mana leech does the trick. Now I grabbed HoI + Ice Bite and it's awesome, I'm shattering all the mobs and bosses are good also. I will also try swapping the HoI+IB combo with a blasph and vulne/enfeeble combo and post the results.

-UPDATE- Well blasph(lvl 18)+vulne(lv 8) is working fine also and I think the dmg is higher than HoI(lv 18)+Ice Bite(lv 18).

Last edited by pashkudas on Dec 11, 2016, 6:58:16 PM
Update since my previous post - Still trying to figure out the best way to run with Cospri.

The build is much simpler to gear when still using Kintsugi/Hyrri/Belly and honestly was working absolutely fine when I was still using a 4L Hyrri - defenses were excellent.

Switched to 5L Cospri and the main difficulty is figuring out how best to actually take advantage of the +1 curse. Even running 1 curse is nice, since we get the "potential" 7-L with Poison - but I felt it was not worth really using Cospri without actually utilizing 2 full high-uptime curses.

I tried running Hatred + HoI + Ice Bite + CoH but frankly it felt underwhelming and rarely applies the curse when I needed, since HoI only triggers the AoE after you blow up the mobs. I needed something that would apply the curses to my targets WHILE they were alive - especially bosses, where HoI is practically useless (unless the boss has many adds - and even then, the explosion might not always happen or hit the boss).

My current solution is dropping Hatred, picking up Sovereignty (4 points) and running 2x Blasphemy + HoA.
Overall, I lose 30% cold damage but gain 15% fire (net -15% elemental dmg) but I gain the "overkill" ignite which is much more useful than HoI, and allows me to run 2 full time Blasphemy curses.

I tried Vuln + Poachers, but felt a bit squishy (especially without Fortify on Flicker - no 6L yet.) Currently switched to Enfeeble + Poachers. Damage still feels plenty when solo. I would have liked to run Vuln for the double-dip (physical + poison) damage, but the main things that RIP me are big 1-shots - so the Enfeeble probably helps.

I am considering switching back to Hatred + 1 Blasph + using my chest 5L for CWDT + Inc. Duration + Blade Vortex +CoH + Curse.
I'm unsure if this would provide enough uptime on the blade to proc the curses on my targets - i imagine it would be good for bosses? It would also require me to roll 3 blue and a red on my 5L cospri, which is annoying, but not too impossible.

Then I could just run a separate CWDT/Immortal Call/Inc Dur/Ice Golem, so I don't need to cast him (and we all know golems die every pull.)

This would allow me to free up the 4 points spent in Sovereignty, which I feel are somewhat wasted - and at lvl 87, the points are really coming in slow. I have yet to max out all my HP nodes and End charges, due to the 4 points "wasted." Only sitting at about 4500hp, and my gear is already pretty decent. I'm still noticing a lot of 1-shot RIPs, especially when playing with my friend (2 man party.) As usual, Flicker builds suck in groups, and this is no exception. Hits that would normally take me from 100% -> 30%, allowing me to hit my instant potions, pretty much oneshot me in 2+ person group.

Anyway, I'm running T11s and T12s now without too much problems. I'm worried I may not be able to do 13s+ without at least 5k hp however - maybe a Belly of the Beast or Kaom's would serve better than the Cospri? This build already blows up trash - and while the Cospri/poison is nice for bosses, I often find huge hits coming in chunking my HP to near-death levels.

PS: I've been noticed near 100% RIP chance on t11-12+ Frost breaches. Those things are nasty, in the vortex, while flickering - i almost always stop moving/die. The lightning ones are rough too, but not as bad. Was considering dropping Avatar of the Chase for Avatar of the Veil for the status immunity. May try it out and update.
Cospri CoC Cold->Fire Trickster:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2576559
Divine Ire Trickster:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2459778
Last edited by KooperT on Dec 13, 2016, 8:31:36 PM
I've tried building with The Perfect Form and I must say that I'm pretty satisfied with it. It makes it a little harder to get ele capped tho, so I can't really pick uniques for the helmet and gloves. While I'm using an Alpha's Howl as helm right now, which helps with the Tul Breaches, I still consider exchanging it for a rare one to get more life out of it.

On the note of Perfect Form and Arctic Armour: Are you considered 'standing still' while flickering when you attack? So does the AA damage migation work while flickering?

While not having to invest in Phase Acro is nice and I even get more block from completly unskilling the Acro Keystone I might reconsider using The Perfect Form if AA is kinda useless with it.
"
KooperT wrote:
I'm confused as to what to use to generate my 2nd curse.
Since I dropped the Essence Worm, and am only running Hatred+Blasphemy, I can't afford to run HoI+Curse On Hit.
Is that the only other way to generate a 2nd curse from Cospri?
Any suggestions?
If you'd like to run a second curse with Cospri there are a few ways to achieve that, you can for example get a Heretic's Veil, link it up like This and get Sovereignty node in passive tree by freeing up a few damage nodes. You can also run curse on CWDT or try Vaaling gloves for Vulnerability on Hit. (balls required though)

"
Techneeq wrote:
Okay, if the main point of frenzy is just to get charges then I see no need for putting multi strike and added fire on it. I'll probably try out the ancestral warchief setup or just make something up that I like.
Yeah, I think I might slightly change the picture again since Multistrike locks you in place for a longer period of time without adding any real benefit to Frenzy. I also think it's best to link it up with Leap Slam since both of them benefits from the same support gems nearly equally as much.

"
ElJesse wrote:
how well do you think this tree and gear would go with cyclone?
Cyclone is trash,
Flicker is gold,
Let me give you a bash,
Because I think you are bold.

On a more serious note though, you could incorporate Cyclone into this build fairly well by swapping Melee Splash and Multistrike for Faster Attacks/Inc AoE/Conc effect/Crit Damage. I do think that the knockback effect would be quite annoying on a Cycloner though. A fun solution for that is Empire's Grasp, but since they give armour instead of evasion and no life or resist, I'd be quite hesitant to use it over a pair of rare gloves.

"
KooperT wrote:
I am considering switching back to Hatred + 1 Blasph + using my chest 5L for CWDT + Inc. Duration + Blade Vortex +CoH + Curse.
I'm unsure if this would provide enough uptime on the blade to proc the curses on my targets - i imagine it would be good for bosses? It would also require me to roll 3 blue and a red on my 5L cospri, which is annoying, but not too impossible.
That sounds like a great idea. Blade vortex triggers in tough situations with alot of incoming damage. With CoH and Inc Duration linked with a defensive curse like Enfeeble or Temp Chains that will enable you to apply it without any effort while also running a offensive curse on Blasphemy.

"
KooperT wrote:
I'm still noticing a lot of 1-shot RIPs, especially when playing with my friend (2 man party.) As usual, Flicker builds suck in groups, and this is no exception. Hits that would normally take me from 100% -> 30%, allowing me to hit my instant potions, pretty much oneshot me in 2+ person group.
It's true that Flicker is quite bad in groups. But it sounds weird to me that you experience increased damage in groups, since only the monsters life is increased by 60% (in merciless) per extra party member, not its damage. (source: PoEWiki)

"
KooperT wrote:
Anyway, I'm running T11s and T12s now without too much problems. I'm worried I may not be able to do 13s+ without at least 5k hp however - maybe a Belly of the Beast or Kaom's would serve better than the Cospri? This build already blows up trash - and while the Cospri/poison is nice for bosses, I often find huge hits coming in chunking my HP to near-death levels.
This is a tough question to answer, but I am confident that you will be able to hit 5k life with Cospri, mainly because I am at 4.9k life myself if I take off my Kintsugi (5.1k with), and I can still:
1) improve on life rolls on several pieces of gear, 2) get Jewels with % life mod and 3) level a bit more for extra Jewel slots and 12 base life per level. You can try out Belly if you'd like, but I'd advice you to stay away from Kaom's mainly because we do not benefit from fire damage, armour and not having a 6-link.

"
Iodid wrote:
I've tried building with The Perfect Form and I must say that I'm pretty satisfied with it. It makes it a little harder to get ele capped tho, so I can't really pick uniques for the helmet and gloves. While I'm using an Alpha's Howl as helm right now, which helps with the Tul Breaches, I still consider exchanging it for a rare one to get more life out of it.
The Perfect Form is quite nice, I was considering using it or Kintsugi when I was deciding on my end-game chest. I did settle with Kintsugi but the difference between those two aren't that big. To put it short, The Perfect Form is alot safer but weaker to use since Arctic Armour is basically always up but it only reduces fire and physical damage by about ~12%. Meanwhile Kintsugi is stronger but more unreliable since it reduces 20% of any damage type, but only does so for 1 hit if you haven't taken any hits in the last 4 seconds. Of course, The Perfect Form also reduces resist so it is harder to get resist capped, I'd strongly recommend using rares in both helm and gloves to make up for the resist. (and get some nice bonus to life and accuracy while you are at it!)

"
Iodid wrote:
On the note of Perfect Form and Arctic Armour: Are you considered 'standing still' while flickering when you attack? So does the AA damage migation work while flickering?
Yes. :)
Also known as: Noxterous
Last edited by Zelkor on Dec 15, 2016, 8:36:39 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info