The Balance Team needs a shake-up

I agree. Qarl just isn't cutting it. He needs to be replaced by someone who is willing to balance things with HP/defenses, not just more more more more damage and then expecting you to not get hit because you're one-shotting the world from off-screen with a meta build. Current PoE is way too designed around one-shotting or getting one-shotted.
People who don't like the Labyrinth are not a minority: Be heard - say you don't like it in your signature. Don't leave complaining about lab to others - GGG needs to see how many people dislike it. Ascendancy must be gated on true ARPG content, not a poorly-crafted internet Legend of Zelda wannabe.
Last edited by TheLastZica on Dec 7, 2016, 7:22:49 PM
"
sidtherat wrote:
Spoiler

sure, game makes money. selling cheap fast food also makes money. but it is difficult to recommend going there for a lunch. same with POE, i cannot force myself to recommend this game to anyone. there are ethical issues (mounting ones) and there are gameplay issues

- significant part of the skills available in the game is BY DESIGN crap. if one selects this skill while leveling there is NO CHANCE he will be successful

loosing on the character selection screen is a first sign of a failed balance/game design. currently in POE you CAN make your character rubbish even before loading the game

- when some - seemingly equivalent - mechanics/playstyles/archetypes are just BETTER in every f. way then - again - you have a failed design. crit/non-crit is the prime example. elemental melee (only fast weapons matter) is more niche one. current life/ES disaster.

- end-game content is unreachable by certain characters/classes/concepts. im not talking about immunities - these can be pruteforced with time. given average skill and average gear killing shaper with 1h/shield mace RT build is impossible. not difficult but simply impossible. it is again fail at the character creation screen - some builds will simply never be able to reach and complete the game. regardless of how these are built. this is utter balance failure.

- power gap between normal builds (well made and thought out 'generic' builds - mostly melee) and 'meta' builds is beyond insanity. no serious game can afford this kind of design. it is unsustainable and attracts power-junkies and fail-lifes that require some for of success and this game gives them success on silver platter

- non-existing communication between various guys doing this part of the game. uniques with WILD power discrepancies, uniques with horrid stats, skills that even kids know are broken.. who leads this team? because it doesnt look like a team effort

- push for 'new instead of fixed old'. this snake has eaten its tail and is now happilly chewing of his own head..

if today one was to do a speed run to shaper or 100 he would have like 4 builds total to do it. because these few builds have a power rating of 5000 while others hover around 100.

imagine this: you brother/sister/spouse (someone you know and like, someone you want to have fun with the game and experience it all without your constnt supervision) asks you for tips:
would you recommend playing 1h RT melee? or melee at all? or non-crit bow? or any non-meta build? because i sure wouldnt. id start with a long list of stuff you should not touch ever and a very short list of stuff that works stupidly well.

game diveristy

soem might say 'but how does this affect your gameplay'.. this oneliner makes me laugh each time it happens.

And here you are being so sadly right! Though I do not care too much about the fact that meta builds exist - they will always be there if someone makes out a freaky synergy. I do care about those infinite UP builds - unsatisfying underpowerd unnerving - where you try to build something with one of those 90% of skills that seem to be fun and finally reach lvl 80 and realize that you and late endgame will not happen ever.
I came here to drink milk and kick ass...and I've just finished my milk.
"
goetzjam wrote:
You don't necessary have to change up the balance team's members, simply certain ideas that have lead to the list of complaints you have. GGG isn't likely going to fire anyone or reassign anyone to do something else, just because of a post like this.

I think the feedback would be far better, IMO if it was more focused on the reason why you think they come to do the changes that they have, rather then criticize them directly.

The track record of the team is absolutely abysmal. It's not like they haven't been given chances; they are literally absolutely failing for years.

The new recent map mods only further strengthen my argument. ES hardly gets touched, meanwhile armor and evasion get absolutely assraped.

I mean for god fucking sake. You know ES is tremendously broken, and yet you add all these mods that just destroy the other two much weaker defensive mechanics in the game and inadvertently nerf life into the ground? Unless you are reducing monster damage by tremendous amounts, or you are buffing life/armor/evasion formulas dramatically, I don't really see how you can make the game playable for any life character.
Last edited by allbusiness on Nov 28, 2016, 10:13:29 PM
"
allbusiness wrote:
"
goetzjam wrote:
You don't necessary have to change up the balance team's members, simply certain ideas that have lead to the list of complaints you have. GGG isn't likely going to fire anyone or reassign anyone to do something else, just because of a post like this.

I think the feedback would be far better, IMO if it was more focused on the reason why you think they come to do the changes that they have, rather then criticize them directly.

The track record of the team is absolutely abysmal. It's not like they haven't been given chances; they are literally absolutely failing for years.

If it would be the case, PoE would be dead.

It isn't, reaching ideal, fair balance for every archetype / build ( as much as I would like it ) is definitely not what GGG is aiming at, you should probably somewhat fix your expectations.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Last edited by Fruz on Nov 29, 2016, 2:56:48 AM
new player here, unfortunate enough to make a duelist as first char. got to 80 before i realized why my char was doomed from level 1 to not compete into end game. I still had fun along the way, but they caught me in their noob trap (lower half of tree casts a wide noob net). now i'll roll a witch and simply go along with the meta

is the game still fun? sure. is it fundamentally flawed and absurdly unbalanced? yeah thats pretty clear now.

am i mad the game lays down large noob traps to trick newcomers into making failed characters? i guess less mad than i'd be if a new league wasn't about to start up.

i assume thats the goal; noob traps = character needs to be rerolled = player continues playing the game. but are those players going to be willing supporters who buy things in game? i cant speak for others, but they won't be getting a dime from me now.

TLDR- OP is right, someone on balance team has earned their right to be fired. (but thanks for the free game anyway, cheers)

"
pathofplaying wrote:
new player here, unfortunate enough to make a duelist as first char. got to 80 before i realized why my char was doomed from level 1 to not compete into end game. I still had fun along the way, but they caught me in their noob trap (lower half of tree casts a wide noob net). now i'll roll a witch and simply go along with the meta

is the game still fun? sure. is it fundamentally flawed and absurdly unbalanced? yeah thats pretty clear now.

am i mad the game lays down large noob traps to trick newcomers into making failed characters? i guess less mad than i'd be if a new league wasn't about to start up.

i assume thats the goal; noob traps = character needs to be rerolled = player continues playing the game. but are those players going to be willing supporters who buy things in game? i cant speak for others, but they won't be getting a dime from me now.

http://imgur.com/a/QnxrU
=> about 10% of the top 2000 essence league early on was .... slayer.
( 7% for HC, which is already big considering that slayer is quite melee oriented ).

Champion isn't exactly popular in SC because I guess people just want damage, damage, damage and damage, but with the power creep of this past year, you can make a champion build that crushes most of the content I'm pretty sure .... as long as you know how to build it.
Champion is a bit more used in HC too.
You should stop believing everything that the internet throws at you.

And unless you are aiming at ( and capable to reach ) the 0.01% of the player base, the top of the ladder, you can play any class, any ascendancy and make strong characters, and reach higher maps ( cannot tell about the highest ones, probably a bit more selective ).

Maybe you felt like your character sucked because you didn't build it properly ? Which is very likely since you are a newcomer.
-> You should not blame the balance here, but yourself.
Reaching level 84 within a month is not that bad though for a first char, if you built it yourself, that is.

I guess Many players would just build a duelist that will be stronger than your newly rerolled which and would outperform it, seriously.

SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Last edited by Fruz on Nov 29, 2016, 6:39:34 AM
"
Fruz wrote:
"
allbusiness wrote:
"
goetzjam wrote:

If it would be the case, PoE would be dead.

It isn't, reaching ideal, fair balance for every archetype / build ( as much as I would like it ) is definitely not what GGG is aiming at, you should probably somewhat fix your expectations.

False assumption, just because the balance of the game is bad doesn't mean the game is dying or dead. The balance team clearly has shown a history of actual ineptitude for years on end now. It's very clear that new content is not thoroughly tested at all, even the most basic of testing would have prevented most of the nonsense in the past. Or are you saying that Qarl actually played against old Cruel Malachai and thought it was ok? Starcraft 2 is a perfect example of a game with absolutely horrible balance because the head of the balance team David Kim clearly had no fucking clue what he was doing. However, the game was growing and growing for the first few years, and eventually started dying out because of other factors other than the balance.

And two, if GGG isn't aiming for a range of balance between each build archetype, how are they balancing then? Creating a nonsensical 'competitive' metagame like DotA, MTG, or Hearthstone? That's nonsensical when you're trying to apply it to a primarily single player experience.
Last edited by allbusiness on Nov 29, 2016, 7:05:33 AM
"
allbusiness wrote:

And two, if GGG isn't aiming for a range of balance between each build archetype, how are they balancing then? Creating a nonsensical 'competitive' metagame like DotA, MTG, or Hearthstone? That's nonsensical when you're trying to apply it to a primarily single player experience.

Those 3 games are all PvP, in a direct fight.
Your comparison is already meaningless.

They are creating FotM skills and they are fine with the fact that some skills are not good and that they do not want all skills to feel the same power wise.
There are Tiers in between skills, they are aware of it and are fine with it, you should deal with it, and it's nothing new.

This create dynamism in the game, that creates hype, that allows them to conveniently create new micro-transactions transactions for some particular skills that are supposed to be fotm for a while, etc ...

Now I don't think that nobody has said that the balance was perfect even considering this, there are obviously things that would have needed more testing, but overall, if you are not seeing that - all skills being balanced *equally* - has probably never been the aim of GGG, then you are mistaken.

Chris actually did explain such phenomenon in a podcast, State of Exile or Lioneye's podcast, I don't remember which one, they were showcasing a Chimera fight I think so prolly Lioneye's podcast.

And if the balance team had been "literally absolutely failing for years.", the game would be pretty much dead, or close to.

You seem to fail at seeing the big picture here.
Last edited by Fruz on Nov 29, 2016, 7:10:45 AM
"
Fruz wrote:
This create dynamism in the game, that creates hype, that allows them to conveniently create new micro-transactions transactions for some particular skills that are supposed to be fotm for a while, etc ...

I wonder about that. We had the big chaos conversion craze and not one fire skill got the pimpy purple overhaul or cold skill a fire-themed skin, movement skills are by far the most used ones, even as primaries and there are no mtxes for them at all, discharge went for years without one and ice nova has two for a long time, LA and TS still have none.

I'd kinda like to see them take proper advantage of it, we're used to it so the morality of the whole thing is hardly an issue anymore and it does result in more relevant content for us.

Regarding the big picture, I can understand forcing one skill in front but what kind of goal are they achieving with, say, vortex totem sealed monsters offing your 15k life res capped zombies in two seconds in high maps and a random spectre tanking shaper? That's a balance fail.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Nov 29, 2016, 7:40:00 AM
"
Fruz wrote:
"
allbusiness wrote:

Those 3 games are all PvP, in a direct fight.
Your comparison is already meaningless.

They are creating FotM skills and they are fine with the fact that some skills are not good and that they do not want all skills to feel the same power wise.
There are Tiers in between skills, they are aware of it and are fine with it, you should deal with it, and it's nothing new.

Now I don't think that nobody has said that the balance was perfect even considering this, there are obviously things that would have needed more testing, but overall, if you are not seeing that - all skills being balanced *equally* - has probably never been the aim of GGG, then you are mistaken.

Chris actually did explain such phenomenon in a podcast, State of Exile or Lioneye's podcast, I don't remember which one, they were showcasing a Chimera fight I think so prolly Lioneye's podcast.

And if the balance team had been "literally absolutely failing for years.", the game would be pretty much dead, or close to.

You seem to fail at seeing the big picture here.

Fail at comparison? Is that why Chris has been on record stating that they actually do balance the game similar to how the developers of Magic the Gathering do? And moving target meta is exactly how PvP games function. They move the meta in a different direction to keep the game fresh, however that doesn't exactly work for a primarily single player experience.

No, you can be awful at balancing and the game can still grow. See Starcraft 2 for its first few years.

Stop defending the dev team, particularly the balance team. They are absolutely failing at their job by every definition in the book. Highly unbalanced skills, highly unbalanced content, tons of noob traps, unexplained mechanics that can't be figured out without serious math and testing (not intuitive things that can be figured out) or research, etc.

Like I_NO says, this is one of the unique games where somehow it's both incredibly good and incredibly awful at the same time.
Last edited by allbusiness on Nov 29, 2016, 7:39:57 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info