[2.5] VMS Elementalist (IT'S BACK)

Disclaimer: this build is not cheap.

Hi,

I've tried to make VMS great again ever since the 2.4.1 patch.

But it wasn't until the 2.4.2 patch that the build started to become something, that patch fixed a bugged interaction with on hit trigger effects while channeling skills. Pre-patch the initial cast would only proc the trigger effect while remaining casts wouldn't. At that moment the build still worked, but felt awful and clunky since the single target was based around attack speed and the damage scaling was really off. But post-patch it all changed. Now, every "cast" while channeling will proc the trigger effect. This makes the build function precisely like the old VMS, only less powerful and and more tempo oriented. But it's still the at the clearspeed and single target level as the old VMS.

With how the build functions now, I have to say that I've succeeded with making it perform a bit too good!

If you loved the 2.0 - 2.2 VMS builds, you will enjoy this one too!

2.6 notes: Nothing much have changed, the AoE feels a bit badman™ but besides that the build still functions the same.

Minimum item requirements:

Videos

Build guide
[2.5] ver. 1.2 - current version

The build functions both as CI and low life, but it really exceeds in performance when low life. They both have different pros and cons, these will of course be explained later down in the thread.

General setup
There isn't that much difference in gearing between the two, so this section covers the gearing both variances share.

The only thing to keep in mind is that the build needs 61-81 strength from gear/passives (a total of 155 strength) in order to use a level 20 Vaal Molten Shell. And 0-35 dexterity (a total of 159 dexterity ) for a level 21 Haste.

The variance is based upon which type of skill tree you prefer, the one that requires least amount of gear investment is the "going fast" variant.

Gear

The current gear I've on my characters.
[2.5] Breach leauge ver. 1.2 gear

[2.4] Essence leauge ver. 1.1 gear

Gear breakdown
Helm:

The ideal enchants is either Molten Shell damage or Shield Charge Attack Speed.

Gloves:

Nice™ gloves with the Essence of Insanity roll is your BIS.

The Commandment of Flames is a highly recommended enchant since it helps a lot early on in a map, with clear speed, leech when taking unexpected damage, etc.

Weapon:

Doryani's Catalyst is an insane weapon for this build; it gives decent attack speed, decent cast speed, a large increase to elemental damage.

It provides a benefit to all aspects that the build wants to scale. This being: large ignites, high attack speed and cast speed.

A competitor to Doryani's Catalyst would be a dagger similar to this one:

But the lack of elemental damage hurts the clearing quite a bit, since the ignites won't be as good as they currently are.

I could see a dagger like that being used over Doryani's Catalyst for single target if you'd rock the Emberwake + Taming rings combo. Haven't tested it out yet tho.

Rings:

Ring like these two are the ideals, but getting "normal" rings is still fine.

By "normal" rings, I mean rings like these:

"filler stats" = missing resistances/attributes

Amulet:

The build needs stun immunity and Eye of Chayula provides it. It's even better than Valyrium since the single target is dependant on actual being able to cast.

The BIS is +1 curse, followed up by 8% Attack speed.

Belt:

The things to prioritize on the belt is geting #% increased flask charges gained and having an open prefix for movement speed.

For the rest: ES and filler stats. Getting the T1 Strength here is recommended.

Chests:

Shield:

The only thing to really know is that depending of how good the shield is, the passive tree changes. There's more info of this under the "General build guide and concepts" category.

But in short: get high es. If there isn't a resist problem, craft cast speed.

Boots:

The 16% attack and cast speed enchant and the 30% movement speed is the most crucial to get on the boots.

For the rest: ES and filler stats.

Flasks

Swap flasks:

Alternative setup:

Jewels

Ascendancy

Pick up order:
Shaper of Desolation > Beacon of Ruin > Pendulum of Destruction > Mastermind of Discord

Bandits

[2.5] ver. 1.2
Skillpoint - AS - Frenzy Charge

///
[2.4] ver. 1.1
Skillpoint - AS - Skillpoint

Passives

Low life variant
Recommended tree

CI variant
Recommended tree

Gem setups

low life

Main skill links:
Goes into chest

Secondary skill links:
Goes into helm or boots

Movement skills links:
Goes into gloves

If you want you could use a q20 Culling Strike, but the build is really short on sockets so I personally use:

Utility link #1:

+1 curse

Utility link #2:

Auras:

One of the 50% auras requires at least a 19 Blood Magic gem in order to be activated.

Filler gems:
Goes into whatever's left

General build guide and concepts
Q/A

How does the build deal with reflect?
Regular reflect mobs isn't a problem, since Vinktars is a thing.This is even true in -max res maps. The only time it can become sketchy is when you have poorly flask management.

Going crit as Inquisitor?
This is something I'd like to try, it might lack the clear speed that the Elementalist have but the single target would be something completely ridiculous.

I'm actually going to try it out in the coming weeks, the tree I am aiming for is: poeurl.com/1HL

And then I'll use Herald of Ice instad of an 60% aura.

The build was inspired by 2.2 nicemeta™'s version which was inspired by 2.0 nicemeta™'s version which was inspired by Mathil's version which was inspired by ChaosBuildsAreNotBroken's version which was inspired by ????'s version which was inspired by "spirit of good builds" version which was inspired by MorsDidItFirstProductions™.
DEEPS MEEPS REEPS
Last edited by Freakopat on May 3, 2017, 11:40:56 AM
Last bumped on May 2, 2017, 5:58:13 PM
Good work bringing this sweet build back to life
Following the progress of "general build guide and concepts" after recently picking up a scold's and some sac harvests.

Looks sweet.
can this be played as inquisitor also ? if so, how ?
How do you deal with ele reflect mobs? This isn't chaos converted and no ascendancy point into reduced dmg.
Hi, I've updated the guide and answered some questions. If you have more things you'd like to have an answer on, please let me know! :D
DEEPS MEEPS REEPS
"
Freakopat wrote:
Hi, I've updated the guide and answered some questions. If you have more things you'd like to have an answer on, please let me know! :D

I'm doing this build right now. I gotta say I love it, but I'm sometimes having problems sustaining vms between packs with larger gaps. I find myself often having to use flameblast for the last couple of charges. I've been experimenting with chill of corruption for extra soul generation since I have the cold dmg boot enchant and I shatter quite a lot of mobs. Gonna actually try using herald of ice and see if that is any better.

Last edited by McRazor on Jan 29, 2017, 9:49:04 AM
"
McRazor wrote:

I'm doing this build right now. I gotta say I love it, but I'm sometimes having problems sustaining vms between packs with larger gaps. I find myself often having to use flameblast for the last couple of charges. I've been experimenting with chill of corruption for extra soul generation since I have the cold dmg boot enchant and I shatter quite a lot of mobs. Gonna actually try using herald of ice and see if that is any better.

I can't really pinpoint exactly what appears to be your problem, since I've never really experience it to that extent you seem to describing it as. But what I can say is that it's not about the Vaal charges, it's more about how the VMS is used and not used. It can be that you're not clearing fast enough, prematurely poping VMS, clearing inefficiently due to not adapting to the map layout (indoor maps are examples of these type of maps) or a combination of these.

A starting point, that should help alot, would be the gearing. You'll just need to priorities some stats differently than you're currently doing, that being high movement speed and AS. It might result that you'll end up with less energy shield but this character is really vulnerable when it doesn't have the VMS up,

The easiest gear upgrades you could make is getting 30% movement speed on the boots and replace one of the Granite flaks with a Silver flask (ideally with remove shock to counter Vinktars). Using a Silver flask is a MUST since it provides benefit in all aspects of the build, shield charge is faster and single target is buffed.

Some more expensive investments is getting some Essence of Insanity crafted gloves (they make a huge difference) and getting 3x30% Sacrificial Harvest so you can get AS jewels. And just to stretch it, it's not the Vaal charge generation that's the problem. You can clear maps fine with even 2x30% Sac Harvest.

I hope this might help you out a bit, if it made any sense. :D
DEEPS MEEPS REEPS
"
Freakopat wrote:
"
McRazor wrote:

I can't really pinpoint exactly what appears to be your problem, since I've never really experience it to that extent you seem to describing it as. But what I can say is that it's not about the Vaal charges, it's more about how the VMS is used and not used. It can be that you're not clearing fast enough, prematurely poping VMS, clearing inefficiently due to not adapting to the map layout (indoor maps are examples of these type of maps) or a combination of these.

A starting point, that should help alot, would be the gearing. You'll just need to priorities some stats differently than you're currently doing, that being high movement speed and AS. It might result that you'll end up with less energy shield but this character is really vulnerable when it doesn't have the VMS up,

The easiest gear upgrades you could make is getting 30% movement speed on the boots and replace one of the Granite flaks with a Silver flask (ideally with remove shock to counter Vinktars). Using a Silver flask is a MUST since it provides benefit in all aspects of the build, shield charge is faster and single target is buffed.

Some more expensive investments is getting some Essence of Insanity crafted gloves (they make a huge difference) and getting 3x30% Sacrificial Harvest so you can get AS jewels. And just to stretch it, it's not the Vaal charge generation that's the problem. You can clear maps fine with even 2x30% Sac Harvest.

I hope this might help you out a bit, if it made any sense. :D

It's probably, getting more used to the build. I'm currently setting my atlas for the shaped strand strat and since this is my first time playing the atlas after quitting in prophecy, there are a lot of new maps and changed layouts. I understand that the build needs to go faster, but what do you do about the drops, for example? Do you just continue going for the sake of having vms up, or do you stop to pick up and risk losing uptime? I ran a few maps with temp chains and I absolutely loved it. The vms lasted for like 15sec and I had 100% Vinktar amd vms uptime. I was even wondering if it woild be worth to self cast temp chains amd then stack more movement and attack speed.

So, would you suggest I drop herald of ice and chill of corruption then? Been running it and while I dont think its bad, it didnt fascinate me. This should free up a slot and an aura. Im generally a hc player so I like tankiness and it would really have to be a big benefit for me to drop es. This would allow me to get a new jewel and another aura, what do you suggest?
"
McRazor wrote:

[...] I understand that the build needs to go faster, but what do you do about the drops, for example? Do you just continue going for the sake of having vms up, or do you stop to pick up and risk losing uptime?

In a general sense, kill first loot after is the way to go. But picking up things while VMS is up doesn't really effect its uptime since the soul cost is really low, especially with 3x30% Sacrificial harvest. It's just a thing that you'll have to get used to.

"
McRazor wrote:

[...] I ran a few maps with temp chains and I absolutely loved it. The vms lasted for like 15sec and I had 100% Vinktar amd vms uptime. I was even wondering if it woild be worth to self cast temp chains amd then stack more movement and attack speed.

It's nice, but I'd never take it to the extremes and cast it on myself.

"
McRazor wrote:

[...] So, would you suggest I drop herald of ice and chill of corruption then? Been running it and while I dont think its bad, it didnt fascinate me. This should free up a slot and an aura. Im generally a hc player so I like tankiness and it would really have to be a big benefit for me to drop es. This would allow me to get a new jewel and another aura, what do you suggest?

I'd drop HoI, and don't see the usefulness in it. I doesn't provide more AoE, since the build's AoE is focused around spreading decent ignites with Beacon of Ruin. And the range of Beacon of Ruin, with all the global AoE scaling, is a lot larger than the AoE, with an AoE gem, on HoI. It's basically a dead gem as far as I can tell.

Since this build's AoE is based around spreading ignites, specing into more damage and using the Anger aura (Anger is basically a 20% damage boost for this build) helps a lot with coverage. If you doesn't have good ignites, you'll just end up pinballing around and backtracking into packs that should've been cleared if there were more damage to scale the ignites off.
DEEPS MEEPS REEPS

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info