Morphyne's Scorching Ray Totem Chieftain [SC/HC Viable]

"
JoeODanger wrote:
How do you find the totems compared to pizzablast now that they work again?

How well do they deal with breaches? Looking for something else to play until I have currency for darn blade flurry :P

Beam totems sound really fun!

1. Pizzablast is obviously OP but now that the totems track better, they feel amazing! Imo, I feel they damage just about as quickly as pizzablast and the clear speed is pretty amazing.

2. They're awesome for breaches! Since they can split damage, opening breaches and kind of letting them slaughter the crap out of the monsters is all too fun. And if they ever make it close enough to you, searing bond takes care of them with ease. :)

3.This is definitely a fun league starter for sure. I am still enjoying it, hopefully soon the GGG gods will send me something good so I may update the build.
Having some..problems..with this build so far

Respecced my character, bought good gear and uniques....and it was slower than my previous siege ballista build..

It's an armour based build with no way to mitigate the speed penalty for using armour...As far as I can see that is making u super slow and inefficient.

The damage has not been particularly impressive, to be honest. It gets the job done I suppose but feels kinda low.

I'm SUPER disappointed, I was so looking forward to this build and yet it isn't feeling anywhere near effective as I feel it should be, considering the currency I put into it.

I WANT to love this build, but it moves so slow and is slow at clearing..please tell me there is something huge I'm missing here...

Edit: I'm not trying to be disrespectful or anything, but this is just so disappointing.. I spent a long time getting the gear etc. and it's still rough. It's definitely durable, but otherwise it feels less than ideal :(
Last edited by Malibear on Dec 11, 2016, 1:04:06 AM
"
Malibear wrote:

Respecced my character, bought good gear and uniques....and it was slower than my previous siege ballista build..

It's an armour based build with no way to mitigate the speed penalty for using armour...As far as I can see that is making u super slow and inefficient.

The damage has not been particularly impressive, to be honest. It gets the job done I suppose but feels kinda low.

I'm SUPER disappointed, I was so looking forward to this build and yet it isn't feeling anywhere near effective as I feel it should be, considering the currency I put into it.

I WANT to love this build, but it moves so slow and is slow at clearing..please tell me there is something huge I'm missing here...

Edit: I'm not trying to be disrespectful or anything, but this is just so disappointing.. I spent a long time getting the gear etc. and it's still rough. It's definitely durable, but otherwise it feels less than ideal :(

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with the build. I get that the movement speed could be a little slow at times, I myself don't find it it to be a huge issue. As far as the damage goes, I've been doing T12 maps and have been clearing very well at a great clear speed. However, I find the term to be very loose as people feel having fast clear speed means clearing maps in under 5 minutes and with that, I can understand if you feel it can be slow. If you'd like, you could reply with a post of your gear and passives that you have allocated currently and I could see if we can work something out. Always happy to help if it means getting the build to work more to your level.
"
Morphyne123 wrote:
"
Malibear wrote:

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with the build. I get that the movement speed could be a little slow at times, I myself don't find it it to be a huge issue. As far as the damage goes, I've been doing T12 maps and have been clearing very well at a great clear speed. However, I find the term to be very loose as people feel having fast clear speed means clearing maps in under 5 minutes and with that, I can understand if you feel it can be slow. If you'd like, you could reply with a post of your gear and passives that you have allocated currently and I could see if we can work something out. Always happy to help if it means getting the build to work more to your level.

I made my profile public, "High_Energy_Hero" is my character running your build. I realize (now) that for Searing Bond, Iron Will does nothing, but honestly Searing Bond seems to do more dmg.

I will say this build is very durable, Atziri was no problem. But clear speed is low, and it seems (to me) that Scorching Ray's dmg is low.

I'm also not seeing how u can run Arctic Armour with the dual curse, as mana is gone after dropping two totems.
"
Malibear wrote:
"
Morphyne123 wrote:
"
Malibear wrote:

I made my profile public, "High_Energy_Hero" is my character running your build. I realize (now) that for Searing Bond, Iron Will does nothing, but honestly Searing Bond seems to do more dmg.

I will say this build is very durable, Atziri was no problem. But clear speed is low, and it seems (to me) that Scorching Ray's dmg is low.

I'm also not seeing how u can run Arctic Armour with the dual curse, as mana is gone after dropping two totems.

The idea when I came up with this build was to craft a hardcore build that would withstand the new league seeing how Breach is a bit of a tosser when it comes to dealing with them, they hurt a lot. At the moment I'm still working on trying to find a way around arctic armor and running it with the set up. Currently I'm keeping it off to the side since mana is an issue at the moment. I was thinking about using an Alpha's Howl to compensate for the lack there of. And yes, Iron Will in Searing Bond is pointless. It was merely a placeholder for a level 4 Empower which I'm still working towards. That Would be the best option for that slot. Scorching Ray itself doesn't seem to clear as fast as others out there, but personally I'm still enjoying the build alot!
Last edited by Morphyne123 on Dec 15, 2016, 11:44:52 PM
Hi there,

when Breach started i had a very similar idea about a Laser-totem-build. I know i am late to the party but i wanted to share my conclusions here anyway.

When planning the character i thought about Inquis, Chieftain, Hierophant and Berserker as possible Ascendancies.

So i did A LOT of calculations...in fact 3-4 full pages full of calculations...to figure out which would be the best attempt.

it turned out dmg wise nothing can beat a tri-totem berserker (with quad-totem hierophant on a decently close second place followed by chieftain and inquisitor who are both more of a defensive version of those other two)

I cannot play super much this league sadly because of RL (a baby is a lot of work!) but i managed to reach lvl 85 on a berserker with this build (my profile should be public, character is Hightech_Lazordisco) so far and it is absolutely ridiculous even with some of the key features still missing (Tukohama's Fortress, expensive as fuck!) and rest of the gear far from optimized...(besides a randomly ID'd sceptre which is bonkers...)

some outlines:

-~6,5k Life (can be improved quite a bit with better gear and levels)
-~1sec to stack 8 debuffs on an enemy with all 3 totems out
-~1million dps with lvl20/0 gems, lvl3 empower vs dual cursed standard enemies
-~100% increased totem placement speed (which is the key for fast gameplay on a totem build!)

gem setup:

6L: SR + SpellTotem + ElementalFocus + ControlledDestruction + RapidDecay + Empower
4L: Cwdt(20) + IncreasedDuration + ImmortalCall + VaalLightningTrap
4L: BallLightning(1) + CurseOnHit + EleWeakness + Flammability
4L: OrbOfStorms + IncCritStrikes + IncAoE + EnduringCry
3L: ShieldCharge + FasterAttacks + Fortify
3L: StoneGolem(20) + Cwdt(1) + Vortex/TempestShield OR StoneGolem(20) + Cwdt(20) + MoltenShell/Vortex(20)

gameplay:

shield charge around like a madman (116% attackspeed without gear), drop 2-3 totems, if blue pack -> drop Orb of Storms, if Rare mob or huge pack -> shoot a Ball Lightning, if boss -> use everything.

the act of dropping 2-3 totems slows down normal totem builds a lot because they skip those increased totem placement nodes. not this one, it takes longer to cast a ball lightning than to cast 2-3 totems!

berserker:

we use the following ascendancy nodes (in order of priority):

Crave the Slaughter + Aspect of Carnage + War Bringer + Rite of Ruin

aspect of carnage obviously first because of the massive dps increase. war bringer second as it is a beastly sustaining method! it allows enduring cry to be used every 2 seconds and recovers 25% of maximum life + 394 life/sec over 1,65sec. paired with 1 or 2 lifepots, 105 lifereg from the golem and 4,4% lifereg from the tree this gives a lot of sustain. crave the slaughter and rite of ruin provide a shitload of attack speed to speed up our movement through shield charge.

passives:

lvl90 tree

take Totemic Zeal first, then move upwards through the templar starting area and get Elemental Overload. Next step is Ancestral Bond for the dual totems. You can start playing dual totems right at that moment:

~lvl40something tree

after that go for more totem nodes, get life, rest of templar start, the second curse as fast as reasonable, and move down from marauder start to finish up the tree.

~lvl70something tree

rest is more life, more damage and whatever you like.

gear:

use rares with life + resists, and whatever you like really. tukohama's fortress is BiS but really expensive

it's been a long post, but i hope you guys like the input. there are not many scorching ray totem builds out there...

have fun exiles
This was very helpful, thank you
I did not see if someone pointed it out, but EE (elemental equilibrium) does not work with Ancestral Bond : you need to do damage (and not only hit) to trigger EE.

it's explicit here : http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Elemental_Equilibrium

Elemental Overload works because you can hit+crit without doing damage.
I'm running a modified version of this build with Soul Mantle, 2x Kikazaru rings and Self-Flagellation jewel with fire, cold and lightning auras. Damage seems really good to me this way.
Last edited by daleyyc on Jun 11, 2017, 8:43:39 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info