Would you recommend Morrowind for classic RPG fans?

Like for the kind of people who liked Dungeons and Dragons 3e and 3.5e with stats for stuff everywhere and roleplaying and dumb stuff like that.

I tried Morrowind when I was really young and didn't understand more intense RPG mechanics, I made a sword bro that felt really strong until I walked into a cave with Scamps and I did literally 0 damage to them and they fried me in a couple of hits. It made me ragequit and play Diablo 2 and stuff instead.

But now I'm older and wiser and I get that some things are immune to other things and you have to be a little creative to solve problems in RPGs.

Do you think it might be a good idea for me to revisit Morrowind?
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
Last bumped on Nov 4, 2016, 8:22:06 PM
I suppose it depends on the kind of rpgs you like. Elder scrolls games are free roaming rpgs so their main selling point is exploration, which is enforced by the fact Morrowind doesn't hold your hand as much as later games in the series do, you're pretty much left on your own.

On the flip side, you have to fill the game world of that size with something so elder scrolls games are a bit slim on the story side and don't have as many memorable situations and characters a game like Baldur's Gate or first two Fallout games do. Even though Fallout 1&2 are also open world games, they were less technically advanced than Morrowind was at the time so devs could spend less time on technical stuff and more on making the world and encounters interesting. As a result, even the minor sidequests in early Fallouts were entertaining and in ES you can normally get that kind of quality only in major and faction quests.

Another thing I don't really dig in pre-Skyrim installations is skill system, to make the long story short, the process of making a strong character is mindfuckingly unintuitive so leave logic at home :)

So, it really boils down to whether you like exploration style rpgs versus story driven like BG or NwN. Which were your favorite rpgs exactly?
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Nov 3, 2016, 7:37:12 PM
If you're into exploring well fleshed out worlds with tons of lore and a great atmosphere, you should probably play it. It's still my favorite TES game by far. Also if you mod it it still looks pretty good.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
raics wrote:
So, it really boils down to whether you like exploration style rpgs versus story driven like BG or NwN. Which were your favorite rpgs exactly?

Dear god I LOVED Neverwinter Nights. I never beat it when I was young but when I revisited it recently it was so cool blasting through the Underdark or whatever with my Epic Paladin. Hnnngh I love swords

I did enjoy Fallout 1, don't remember if I beat it or not, I think I got pretty far in it. Believe it or not I enjoyed it a lot more because before I played it, I read this really well-written My Little Pony fanfiction that was deliciously dark and gritty and mysterious and tragic and beautiful and emotional.

I have one impression from Fallout, not sure if I dreamed it or not, of some secret ruins that were highly irradiated that managed to creep me out. I liked being creeped out at that time.

I played a lot of Final Fantasy when I was young, but right now my craving's more for immersive environments like Neverwinter Nights.

"
Xavderion wrote:

If you're into exploring well fleshed out worlds with tons of lore and a great atmosphere, you should probably play it. It's still my favorite TES game by far. Also if you mod it it still looks pretty good.

Thanks for the input, I do remember the atmosphere of Morrowind was pretty captivating, we'll see if that world has kept its luster through the years.
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
Yeah, I enjoy replaying old games, like Might&Magic series (also a recommended old entry in exploration genre), Divine Divinity, SW KotOR, NwN custom campaigns (a lot of really awesome work there like Aielund saga), they recently released enhanced editions of BG1 and 2 too so I revisited that. I also like oldie japanese rpgs and strategy games so I've been replaying some on smartphone emulator, Ogre Battle and Tactics Ogre (by the way the recently released PSP remake of the latter is awesome), Breath of Fire, Star Ocean and so on.

We had a bit of an rpg drought for a while so the only worthwhile entries were Dragon Age Origins (screw 2 and 3) and maybe Mass Effect if you can live with this newfangled bioware correctness and equality bullshit. Fortunately, I see things picking up pace with Witcher series, Pillars of Eternity, Divinity OS 1 and 2, and the upcoming Tyranny, it's good to see the genre alive and kicking.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
If you are willing to spend two weeks in Morrowind, sure go ahead! Dont install datadisks or you going to spend month there with no problems :).

By describing what RPG you are looking for I can recommend you even older one game: Ultima Underworld II. That game is RPG in every way: for example as mage you can beat game only with stick in hands, basic clothing and bag of runes. No other RPG allowed me to do that. There is exploration, diversity of worlds and its habitants, places you avoid to return later etc. but mainly it gives puzzles that you have to figure out how to pass, you can avoid fights as well...

There are games like Baldurs Gate, Planescape Torment, Final Fantasy VII and many others great and enjoyable RPG, but Ultima Underworld II and System Shock II are games that made me feel that I am really there and my decision matters.

Let us know what you have installed in the end :).

Gl hf

edit: Wizardry 8 can hook you for very long time too..
Last edited by Rexeos on Nov 3, 2016, 9:46:38 PM
Morrowwind is amazing as far as the main story goes i even think its better then oblivion or skyrim, sure the latter games are more modern and play smoother but if you can look past that you are in for a treat.
The world the story it just sucks you in.
It's ok to be white

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.”

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
If you're willing to be patient, there's a modding team hard at work developing Skywind, recreating Morrowind with Skyrim assets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6svcEuUIXJw

=^[.]^=

=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
"
Rexeos wrote:

edit: Wizardry 8 can hook you for very long time too..

The only wizardry game I played was this one:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/472311-wizardry-tale-of-the-forsaken-land

It was a pretty good dungeon crawler. The game was absolutely brutal. *Gets ambushed by 20 spiders* *spiders use rush attack* instant party wipe. Looks around for a spare pad. True story. Same thing happened vs ninjas. Get ambushed, and they all proceed to bullseye the foreheads of all 6 party members with ninja stars for 1 shot crits.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Nov 4, 2016, 1:51:33 PM
I would wait and be patient for the mod if you're like me and find it hard to go back to primitive games. I did love this one though.
Censored.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info