What's the point of -Max Res?

Why not make monsters do more elemental damage straightforward?

I bring this question because of pure Righteous Fire; All builds take more elemental damage but RF suffers even more, as if it wasn't enough to have vulnerability, less/no regen.

I know RF can be very strong and play vuln/less regen maps, doesn't care about temp chains, reflect; but a RF usually have to spend a lot of currency rolling maps compared to other builds.

If you go RF and BV or mjolner or whatever, yeah you turn off and it's good to go. But if you go pure you suffer a lot from map mods; why make map mods so hard for pure RF and almost a joke for meta builds (chaos, BV Pathfinder, Slayer)? Not to mention spending points on regen means not spending points on other super strong defensive sources like insane leech/Vaal Pact.

I'm not trying to make everything a walk in the park but just take a look at some videos on youtube or streamers: how many you see killing shaper or guardians as a pure RF? Not much; and I guarantee that it's not because people doesn't like to play RF.

I think changing -Max res for monsters do more elemental damage would easy things out for RF and make it slighly more competitive with other builds.

What you think?
Last bumped on Oct 27, 2016, 8:13:14 PM
The point of minus max res is exactly what you say. It penalises people with high max res much more than people with low max res. Map mods are supposed to provide challenges for different build types. This one is one of the good mods, since while it does penalise high-max-res builds more, those builds wills till have higher max res than other builds, on those maps.

It's unfortunate that this hurts RF so much though, I agree.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
Nature of the game. Some builds are better at some mods than other builds. I'm not really sure why Righteous Fire would have to reroll more maps than folks who can't do reflect, though - 'Elemental Weakness' maps are easy to overcap through for dedicated RF guys, and negative resistance is really the only thing that heavily impacts them. Well, outside the normal 'damnit' things like twinned bosses or what-have-you.
"
1453R wrote:
negative resistance is really the only thing that heavily impacts them. Well, outside the normal 'damnit' things like twinned bosses or what-have-you.

No regen or reduced regen maps are also really bad for RF builds.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
There are already mods that cause monsters to deal increased elemental damage. Its "monsters gain x% of damage as (element)".

The difference is that a mod that causes "increased damage" would not stack the same way as "-max resistance". Right now, an added damage map mod only adds 25% effective damage for enemies, assuming normally capped resistances.

With two curses, say Elemental Weakness and Flammability, this mod can scale upwards of some 50% added damage, or more. At this point, a -max res mod would do nothing to you. Increased elemental damage would.

These three different circumstances stack differently. There needs to be a -max res mod.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info