Largest-ever expansion 3.0.0

"
Raycheetah wrote:

*Pet functionality that works like Portals currently do: You select the pet(s) and they appear with the character on log-in, whatever that character happens to be

Isn't that already the case? Once you summon your pets, the stay summoned even after re-logging.
"Fixing the endgame was hard - No matter how hard we buffed red maps, people would keep spamming Gorges.
So we turned Gorge into a red map"
"
Miazga wrote:

to be honest you are both incorrect when it comes to definition of gated content.
I dont mean that one can or can not kill a certain boss in game. Its about blocking your progression by adding rules and special conditions that needs to be made to allow for progress. In poe case its the end game mapping:
You used to be able to get any map anywhere (within the framerate of drops ofcouse), now you need to run specific maps multiple times for a chance to get a map connected to that map. There is no other way to get it, unless you buy one. This is content gating at its finest.

This is where the argument falls apart. By your own definition of gated content

"
Its about blocking your progression by adding rules and special conditions that needs to be made to allow for progress.

Act 2 is gated, because you have to defeat Merveil to get there. I think even the second half of act 1 is gated because you have to defeat Brutus I haven't ever tried to skip him with a rush waypoint but I'm pretty sure you can't.

If you are complaining that content is gated by content then I think you are missing the rpg element of the game. The atlas might present an initial challenge but its a very soft gate at best. Maybe more of a challenge for self found players, but frankly isn't that why they play self found?
"
Maybe more of a challenge for self found players, but frankly isn't that why they play self found?

Not all of us, no!

I play self-found mainly because I am super lazy.

I find it easier to just slay more monsters than to try to trade with other people.
I play self-found because I can't abide cheaters. Since I can't confirm if another player has cheated or not, I choose to play strictly solo. Even if only 2% of the players cheat, that means eventually I'll run into one. I'd rather not.
I respect players choice to play self found, or to play however they like to. But regardless of why you make the choice, it is your choice to make the game more challenging not the game design. Current content (with the possible exception of Uber) is only gated by content, which is basically the point of an rpg. People used to complain, rightly so, that it was gated by RNG but that has all but been removed.

Content being gated by other content will likely not be changed in 3.0 or any other point in POE because the rpg element of the game relies on it.

"

I hardly believe they will deliver, unless by largest-ever expansion means largest-ever content gating, cause so far (ie from 2.0 onwards) GGG rather failed in providing anything but that

Yes you can count on nearly all of 3.0 content to be gated by other content. Since the bulk of it is act 5 it's pretty likely going to be gated by acts 1-4 to expect a level 1 character to waltz into act 5 pretty much destroys the story of the game.
"
"
Miazga wrote:

to be honest you are both incorrect when it comes to definition of gated content.
I dont mean that one can or can not kill a certain boss in game. Its about blocking your progression by adding rules and special conditions that needs to be made to allow for progress. In poe case its the end game mapping:
You used to be able to get any map anywhere (within the framerate of drops ofcouse), now you need to run specific maps multiple times for a chance to get a map connected to that map. There is no other way to get it, unless you buy one. This is content gating at its finest.

This is where the argument falls apart. By your own definition of gated content

"
Its about blocking your progression by adding rules and special conditions that needs to be made to allow for progress.

Act 2 is gated, because you have to defeat Merveil to get there. I think even the second half of act 1 is gated because you have to defeat Brutus I haven't ever tried to skip him with a rush waypoint but I'm pretty sure you can't.

If you are complaining that content is gated by content then I think you are missing the rpg element of the game. The atlas might present an initial challenge but its a very soft gate at best. Maybe more of a challenge for self found players, but frankly isn't that why they play self found?

no no no
you see, you miss interpreted my words completely and you are confused about the game story and the real end game.

story part of the game:
act 1-4 from normal to merciless (you can skip all side quests)

end game of the game:
maps

As you can see from above the RPG part of the game you craving about is there and it has nothing to do with content gating.
freedom to do any map with a chance to get any map (again withing the framrare of map drop to zone level) is now gated. You no longer can drop maps you did not "unlock" on atlas even if you run zones that would normally had chance to drop them, while in the past you had this chance.
This is gated content.

YES I support the game, NO I don't agree with many GGG decisions

Lab still sucks balls.

I miss Zana already.
Last edited by Miazga on Oct 26, 2016, 12:56:48 PM
Coming from the people who said "play this game while watching TV" "this is a buff" "Atlas will change everything you know about mapping" "making rares great again" etc.

I can't get hyped for anything new when tons of the previously implemented content is still half finished or simply not expanded upon. Even after a 3 year anniv... melee still struggles mightly in this game.

Threshold Jewels could have been much better. (Glacial Hammer gives increase rarity when you shatter enemies......) Most skills don't even have threshold jewels.

I'd argue that Talismans made rares great again over essence. This league holds a ton of elements that league as well. Yet the community trashed that league. These should have had way more unique options to add to rares rather then 95% of them being stats we can already roll.

Prophecy is a good start but we can add more to these... add more fated uniques. Voidheart... while it was broken and still pretty strong is a great addition in terms of making something weak actually useable later. And it's economic value. The difference between a poorly rolled one and high rolled is a large difference. We need more stuff like this in the game.

Zana's map mods should have been all removed and simply added to mods that could roll on maps to make them more interesting. And become far more valueable to have a well rolled map with a certain league mod on it.

I could go on and on... but personally I feel like various mechanics and systems in this game are just not looked at anymore when they have so much more potential to be great. This expansion is probably "large" because they have to remove an entire act while adding one. The rebalance of quests and levels will be a lot of work for GGG to go through and "test".
What I except is all linked:

1) New kind of end game content; that feels rewarding but also extracts itself from the spend to maybe earn(handling/rolling maps). (The only rewarding-ish content that is not management intensive was dried lake until they rekt CoC)
2) Getting rid or channeling power creep (giving it a sense) by making content more dynamically harder
3) Way to extract dedicated players from the heavy trading mentality (the better you play, the best your char is feels better than cunning<=>successfull)
4) Less casual content

Atm the game is at a state where it is very easy having a decent character that can do almost everything and from there it takes only time to reach high ends.
Very easy to deliver on said promise. Act 5, the elimination of cruel, already ties with expansions in the past. So they add something else, don't know what, and you have, easily, the largest expansion ever.
Censored.
"
Miazga wrote:

no no no
you see, you miss interpreted my words completely and you are confused about the game story and the real end game.

story part of the game:
act 1-4 from normal to merciless (you can skip all side quests)

end game of the game:
maps

As you can see from above the RPG part of the game you craving about is there and it has nothing to do with content gating.
freedom to do any map with a chance to get any map (again withing the framrare of map drop to zone level) is now gated. You no longer can drop maps you did not "unlock" on atlas even if you run zones that would normally had chance to drop them, while in the past you had this chance.
This is gated content.

Well your right that I don't understand your point. You seem to think that "endgame content" shouldn't be gated by other content, yet it's perfectly fine for it to be gated by the 3 main difficulties. You want to skip tier 1-10 maps because they are tedious, but 3x act 1-4 is fine. Yes all content is gated. Minotaur is gated by abyss just like being spit on by Gruelst and smashing little apes is gated by Merveil. Why is it ok for end game content to be gated by early game content but not by other end game content? The game would have died long ago if they didn't keep extending what end game content was, and people would just rush through content (they do anyway but it would be even worse) if they could just skip straight to the new stuff.

You are either saying something other then your ability to defeat other content and/or time constraints are blocking your path to the new content, which I don't understand what that is. Or you are saying those things shouldn't block your path. Part of the challenge is getting there take that away and the game would be boring and we all would have moved on. Everyone (with enough time to play the game) has the ability to challenge shaper, they just have to defeat other challenges to get there.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info