What do you wish you had known as a new player?

I have yet another point:
I wish I had known that you more or less have to plan every single character from the very beginning.
In this game every class can pretty much do whatever the hell they want. However, this also means that, if you are not careful, you can mess up BIG TIME, even with the best gg gear.
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
You know that you can go back and fix that.

Yep, I know. I just thought it would be good advice for the OP, since respecing bandits is expensive for new players.
Softcore, solo self-found.
-----Currently: -----
Storm Call Occultist in Affliction
"
Arrowneous wrote:

1. I wish I had known that GGG wouldn't be solving desync for several years.
    PoE: The Desync Years was the worst way that any server/client communication
    coding could have been done. Thankfully you are spared that playing nightmare.

2. I wish I had known that PoE was and is coded as a starvation arpg with 99% endgame
    loot drop garbage. (Perandus League was the only good league for getting endgame gear.)

3. I wish I had known that GGG would never be providing a descent way to trade.
    Trade chat is an abomination and huge disgrace, too bad GGG can't see that or does
    and just doesn't give a damn that everyone suffers from trading nightmares.

4. I wish I had known I'd never ever get a 6L drop and damn too few 5L drops.

5. I wish I had known that GGG never wants anyone to get to level 100.
    Since insane time unlimited racers do then xp nerfs have become the norm.

6. I wish I had known that "crafting" is a hoax and it's almost all RNG gambling.

This. Although I'm actually glad I didnt know it.

If I had known this I never would have bothered playing :(

Counting how long it took to fix desync, I still have hope for an in-game trading marketplace. In a year or two... or four.
Exalts are super rare and should not be used in a random rare found in act 1 normal.

And yes with my first char i found an exalt and used it on a random rare in act 1 normal thinking it was not rare
self found league fan

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/324242/page/1

i wish i knew...

1. that playing hardcore was pointless (for me).
2. "crafting" is a b.s. concept. just buy what you need.
3. however, trading is also a b.s. concept. good luck in finding what you need. and finding someone who has it is also online at the same time as you.
4. the difference between "more" and "increased".
5. for an internet-based game, it's actually more fun to play solo.

this isn't my game-playing account; just my forum-posting account :P
"
Arrowneous wrote:
I started at the end of 2012 coming from first a bad summer of D3 and then a brief time playing Torchlight II (Sept.21 to end of November).

1. I wish I had known that GGG wouldn't be solving desync for several years.
    PoE: The Desync Years was the worst way that any server/client communication
    coding could have been done. Thankfully you are spared that playing nightmare.

2. I wish I had known that PoE was and is coded as a starvation arpg with 99% endgame
    loot drop garbage. (Perandus League was the only good league for getting endgame gear.)

3. I wish I had known that GGG would never be providing a descent way to trade.
    Trade chat is an abomination and huge disgrace, too bad GGG can't see that or does
    and just doesn't give a damn that everyone suffers from trading nightmares.

4. I wish I had known I'd never ever get a 6L drop and damn too few 5L drops.

5. I wish I had known that GGG never wants anyone to get to level 100.
    Since insane time unlimited racers do then xp nerfs have become the norm.

6. I wish I had known that "crafting" is a hoax and it's almost all RNG gambling.

7. I wish I had known that GGG would never code any other ways to generate XP in the endgame
    and that it was going to be mapping forever until you go insane or bored to tears.

Now you know from a CB starting time player (GGG gifted me a CB key... I actually got good RNG in that lottery... hmm... or was that a cruel trick of GGG to lure me into playing this arpg... I wonder???). The one good thing is that I'm still a PoE loyalist (I couldn't exactly tell you why after reading the above... maybe I'm a secret masochist at heart and love to hate PoE on many levels). I've managed to keep my Kiwi pet alive and that's no small feat what with all the monsters roaming the countryside and death always nipping at my heals.  :)

And the award for biggest internet crybaby goes to...
"
Krayken wrote:
And the award for biggest internet crybaby goes to...
biggest? crybaby? you haven't seen crybabies, neither internet nor real, right?
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
If I was a new player now, I would be glad to know that:
- You need to plan your build beforehand. Use a build planner and check the forums for build guides and for examples.
- Prioritize defences over damage. Do not start out with many gimmics and keep it simple. Layered defences is the best strategy.
- Do not build around unique items. You are unlikely to find them yourself and will end up having to farm for currency with a crippled build or roll a new buid.
- There are some beginner friendly builds that help you get going (Tornado shot ranger, bladevortex builds, ice crash/earthquake marauder, totem builds etc.)
- Curses can not be relied on end-game due to curse immune monsters (you need a special armour to get around that)
- Currency is best saved for endgame. Do not try to craft stuff before you know what you are doing.
- 5 ja 6 linked items are rare. Hold on to them.
- Uniques are either good or even op leveling items or build enablers. Hold on to them if you are not that into trading.
- One can get an idea of item prices from poe.trade If you are unsure about the value of some item, check from there.
- Always keep gems with quality. Sell the low values in bulk for gemcutters and keep/trade the near 20% values.
- The game can be enjoyable throughout. There is no need to rush through the content just to see the end.
- GGG gives free passive point resets after each major patch, so do not worry if you mess up a build.
- You will find an exalt orb in average of about 100-150h of playtime. Valuable.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Cipp on Oct 25, 2016, 4:51:15 PM
Not to support those scammers that are GGG
ZiggyD is the Labyrinth of streamers, some like it, some dont, but GGG will make sure to push it down ur throat to make you like it
"
caboom wrote:
Exalts are super rare and should not be used in a random rare found in act 1 normal.

And yes with my first char i found an exalt and used it on a random rare in act 1 normal thinking it was not rare

Aren't Exalted Orbs drop level 35? At least according to the Wiki.
Remove Horticrafting station storage limit.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info