Vaults boss wtf

I didn't think I'd be making a thread like this, but...

The Vaults boss summons way too many adds. I dislike the long periods of boss invulnerability and having to kite infinite adds. Most of the time I couldn't even find the boss to damage it before it submerged again due to all the guardians and weapons on the screen. I was constantly running away and trying to figure out the fight, seeing if there was anything I could do to find the boss or make it appear more quickly. It doesn't look like I have any control over the phases at all. It's really frustrating.

I do not like this fight at all. Please change the Vaults boss to not summon so many adds and not be invincible for as long. And please make it stand out better from the adds, or indicate somehow where it will appear, so that maybe we have time to kite most of the adds away from there or something.
Softcore, solo self-found.
-----Currently: -----
Storm Call Occultist in Affliction
Last edited by SunsetVista on Oct 23, 2016, 8:13:34 PM
Last bumped on Oct 24, 2016, 2:30:40 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
A boss should never be able to call timeout. Dont like the mmo influence ive seen on a few new bosses
these bosses are playing hardcore. They have logout macro too.
"
Chadwixx wrote:
A boss should never be able to call timeout. Dont like the mmo influence ive seen on a few new bosses

There is nothing mmoish about it. Boss phases and what you have called "timeout" were around since beginning of game industry and they always were cool.
I like the idea when bosses have additional mechanics or stages when party arrives to get his precious loot. Vault boss is really annoying if not killed fast....annoyance doubles when you have 2 golems map.
Yet another dps check. You either bring him down fast and got the damage to wipe adds in a swing, or don't mess around. There's no strategy in this fight, just bring dps with you.
The arena is of a size of a matchbox. If you fail and let adds spawn in numbers, shit happens - you need to dodge his high damage spell in the invulnerability phases, while overwhelmed by the spawns, and all of these in a narrow space.

This map is especially interesting with vuln, fleet, and extra damage/AoE. You got to destroy boss in a couple of swings, otherwise just fuck out of there.

Astonishing design.

BTW can sparkers hit the adds at all? Would be interesting to know.
This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017
Last edited by torturo on Oct 24, 2016, 4:40:26 AM
"
heedkid wrote:
"
Chadwixx wrote:

There is nothing mmoish about it. Boss phases and what you have called "timeout" were around since beginning of game industry and they always were cool.

disagree about the "always cool" part. it depends on implementation - and the PoE implementation when the boss is invulnerable but he and/or his minions keep attacking, is terrible in most cases.

Vaal Oversoul does it correctly for years, with that cinematic appearance that's full of style and atmosphere, and minion phases where you can't damage him because he's not there - but the minions are easy/squishy enough to refill flasks for the next encounter.
something Shaper and Chimera for example suck at, when the minions are more fkn tanky and hit harder than they do.
and then there's Izaro, who WILL hit you when you can't hit back. "such resilience!".

and to add to what Torturo said, DPS checks are BS because boss designs were never balanced well.
for example the Goddess (Orchard boss) will throw an entire map tier worth of boss mechanics in your face, if you don't just kill her in 5 seconds, while another boss may just spam you with one attack (yes, Gorge).
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
Oversoul is the most annoying wait in the whole game, going through one extra loading screen with tp is just faster and ess annoying than waiting for the ending ....
The opening is also too damn long ... :/

Izaro is the only example where it can really suck imho.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
The more diversity available in regards to builds, the harder it becomes to balance boss fights. Boss fights are supposed to be grand, epic, engaging and hard. I can easily understand the difficulty, having to make every single player - with every single build - feel engaged, and at the same time, experience the fight as fair. There's bound to be som hiccups here and there.

I haven't experienced this boss with any other build than a WoE life leeching Slayer, and it was a breeze - as most bosses are when you can face tank them to eternity.

But hey, instead of balancing the bosses for all builds, they gave you the chance to unlock the map in the Atlas. Balancing 101 right there...(?)
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
That boss has phases of invulnerability...?
Remove Horticrafting station storage limit.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info