Completely Rebalance PoE to your Liking

Let's have fun on how you would rebalance the game completely to your liking in a hypothetical scenario that you are the Lead Developer. I will start. Wall of text follows.

Armour, Evasion and HP survivability:

I always thought that main issue with HP builds, is not their lower HP pool than CI builds. That is working as intended for me. The problem is that "secondary" defenses, like Armour and Evasion do not provide enough to compensate.

Armour: The problem with ARmour, is that 1) is not very effective against big physical hits, and 2) It does nothing against elemental damage. Thus it almost never worth investing in armour, since it needs high passive and gear investment, and almost always, spending a few conviently placed passives in endurance charges is usually better.

So my proposal would be to:

1) Double the efffectiveness of the current formula. So instead of needing 10 times the amount of armour compared to incoming damage to reduce the damage by half, now you would need 5 times. Meaning a 5K physical hit wold be reduced to 2.5K with 25K armour instead of 50K. Now armour is usefull against end game content

2) Add 2% to maximum elemental resistances for 10K armour. Meaning with 30K armour would have +6% to maxumum resists. Now armour is usefull against elemental damage as well.

Evasion: Most people complain that with evasion you would are still vulnerable to spike damage. For me this is a non issue. With eva you do not get hit, but if you do, it is only fair to receive far more damage than a mitigation based build. The problem with evasion is that it does nothing against spells, and alot of the most dangerous damage in the game does come from spells.

So my proposal would be to add 1/3 Spell Dodge by the total chance to evade %. Meaning if you have 60% chance to evade on the tooltip(which will work with the current formula, rolling chance to hit against evasion instead of being a steady 60% chance), you will also get 20% spell dodge as a flat amount. This way, especially if you pair it with Acro/Phase Acro you will be able to avoid getting hit almost always, which is the point of Evasion Builds.

Energy Shield, Ghost Reaver and Zealot's Oath.

Energy shield should be DIFFERENT that Life, same as it was in Closed Beta. Something that does not really happen nowdays. ES should rely on Huge Pool and the recharge mechanic, instead of leech and regen, where it becomes identical HP but with bigger pool.

Proposals:

CI: Remove the passives behind CI, and CI now automatically gives 50% MORE Energy Shield Like it did in Closed beta. We are aiming in high pool, remember.

Zealot's Oath: Life regeneration passives now work a different way. The amount of Life Regen % you have, is the amount of damage you should receive IN A SINGLE hit compared to your Masx ES, in order for your ES recharge to be interupted. Meaning that if you have 15K ES and 10% life regeneration, with Zealot's oath any hit up to 1.5K damage will be ignored by ES recharge. You will still receive the damage, by your recharge will ignore it and it will still be recharging until you get to max ES. Also you will not be able to use Ghost reaver.

Ghost Reaver: Attacking a target with a single target melee skill will tigger an immediate start of ES recharge. Meaning if you are contiuneously attacking with a single target melee skill, your ES recharge will be contineous. This ability is canceled if you are using increased AoE and splash damage passives and support gems. Restricted to single target name locking Skills. Also you cannot use Zealot's Oath.

Life Leech and Reflect

Both reflect and instant leech are huge problems with the game.

Proposals:

1) Reflect is removed from the game

2) Vaal pact now gives 10% life leech and provides instant leech for single target melee attacks. You cannot leech from more than one target per hit(to counter Slayer's Impact). 10% life leech is global. You cannot regenerate life.

3) Atziri's Acuity noe provide 10% life and mana leech. Mana leech is instant (the high rarity/cost should still be justified).

4) Remove all other sources of instant leech, including legacy Vinktar's

Gems and some general Passives

We all know that single target, namelocking melee abilities are trash. Their purpose should be to deal INSANE damage to bosses, something that does not really happen now, since they will never compete with AoE ranged and semi ranged skills.

Proposals:

1) Melee splash changes to another gem, that gives 500% MORE attack damage to single target melee skills. It cancels all splash damage and AoE capabilities, you are strictly attacking one target(to counter Slayer's Impact). This way you have the ultimate boss slaying skills, especially paired with the new Vaal Pact and Ghost Reaver.

2) All AoE and multi target supports(LMP, GMP, Chain etc.) now have DOUBLE damage penalty as they have currently.

3) Endurance charges now give 5% MORE defenses(all of them, armour, evasion, resistances).

4) Immortal Call now gives +5% to maximum resistances and 75% MORE defenses. It's duration is increased significantly

5) Frenzy(skill gem, not charges), gives an additional 3% MORE MELEE damage per frenzy charge. As of now, it is worthless for melee. It is by far the most mana hungry melee skill and it deals with equal investment less damage than double strike, even at 9 frenzy charges.

6) Bloodrage is reverted to it's old state. 10% leech, deas chaos damage, but the peed increase stays as it is.

7) A new Keystone that changes all your armour to evasion is introduced.

8) A way to expire Frenzy charges is introduced, getting to a state similar to Drizzt's "hunter mode", where all the bonuses from your frenzy charges are doubled for a short period(longer than immortal call).

9) A way to expire Power Charges is introduced. Expiring them will double your global critical chance (calculation including the power charges) and will give you 10% crit multiplier per charge expired for a short period(longer than immortal call).

Weapon, damage dealing and gear Balance

Kaoms is restored to give 1K life

Bows: Bows now can only have 4 sockets, but quivers can get 4 sockets as well. Now the only way to have 2 6Ls, or 1 6L plus Kaoms is 2handed melee weapons.

1 handed plus shield: All block passives are restored to their former glory. More passives that have block applied to spell block are added. Energy Shield shields do not provide block, but the amount of ES that they provide is buffed. Block chance on shields is also restored to their former numbers(30-35%)

Dual Weilding: This one is complex. All melee attacks attack are now using both weapons simultaneously, but at 75% overall effectiveness. Dual strike is removed. Dual Weild Block is removed. Instead all dual weild block passives are changed to "chance to parry". Parrying enemy is possible when you are attacked at melee range, and if you parry, you only receive 50% of damage, and the enemy that you parried is open for a riposte for 2 seconds. Riposting an emeny will cause him to take the top end damage that is possible in a single hit, including Crits. Meaning if your tooltip says 600-700 physical damage and 300-400 cold damage, you will deal 700 physical and 400 cold, and it will be a critical strike(adding also you crit multiplier). Riposting also gives you an additional 10% to do an INSTANT KILL on the riposted enemy. This might seem broken, but taking all passives will only give you about 15% parry chance, so it would be balanced.

2 handed: 2 Handed weapons now have inherent 10% more life and 5% life regeneration modifiers. 2 handed weapons also have much higher chances of being 6S and 6L.

Weapon Passives:

1) Adder's Touch always poisong the enemy on crit and gives the old multiplier bonus. Also dagger critical chance passives are restored.

2) Claws of Magpie now give 25% chance to GENERATE all charges.

3) Soul Raker now gives 10% chance to leech Life and Mana, and gives a good boost to life leech rate.

4) Razor's Edge now always causes bleeding on hit, and bleeding enemies are receiving 15% more damage.

5) Slaughter now always gives Onslaught on kill at double effectiveness.

6) Skull Cracking. Attacks with maces always have culling strike, that instantly kill enemies below 20% of their max HP (instead of 10%)

7) Whirling Barrier. Always get a power charge when you block. 2 additional power charges.

This way melee is vastly improved and each melee playstyle has advantages.

1 handed + Shield can now reach with low investment max block, as it could before. Dual weilding now deals rediculous damage. By far the highest in the game, but it is fragile. Dual Weilding as a playstyle in most RPGs is the highest DPS style, so i beleive that should be the case here as well. 2 Handed now can give high damage with little investment, 2 6Ls, the only way to have a 6L plus Kaoms, and good life and life regen bonuses.

Maps

1) Buff map drop rates

2) Remove ALL build restricting mods. So Blood Magic, Can't Leech, Can't Regen, Hexproof and Status immubity would go. Instead new mods that buff monsters in interesting ways would be introduced, instead of putting limitations to people's builds.

This rebalance have been based on the current HP and Damage of mobs, all the way to asbsolute end game. However None of what i 've written is to be taken seriously. I was just having fun on how MY ideal PoE would be, and it would be nice to hear your versions of the perfect PoE.

Last edited by astraph on Oct 22, 2016, 7:22:31 AM
Last bumped on Oct 23, 2016, 10:25:04 AM
Monster damage needs to go down. It has gotten too far out of control, time to scale this shit back.

Stun scaling ratio between monster damage and player life needs to go WAY the fuck down. CI should swap ES for Life in stun calculations. This basically goes for all status effects that scale on damage vs. life, but stun is the worst offender due to how inefficient it is to build against. You can pop a flask for stuff like freeze, poison, or bleed, but there is no way to roll a blue anti-stun flask.

Evasion should have a secondary chance based on maybe half it's value to reduce incoming attack damage that isn't outright prevented. Give us a chance for "glancing blows."

Just fucking rewrite the entire armor formula. It's awful, I really don't even think it's salvageable in it's current form.

Once all the defenses have been fixed to be less dogshit, let Endurance charges grant increased global defense instead of a straight reduction. This will push Endurance charges towards being for people who are building tanky, instead of being the objectively best charge type for everyone in any scenario.
This is a buff™
I would love to post a wall of text but it would be too long. Basically they need to reduce armour from all sources by about 30% and lower all monster physical damage by about the same.
This is mostly a feedback and suggestions thread, right?

* increase map drops a little more
* add map mods that allow monsters besides magic and rares to drop +1 map tier maps
* add a map called Mountain Ledge again (I miss it)
* increase the max leap slam distance for players
* make parts of endgame map trials and labyrinth a little bit brighter
* increase base damage of Elemental Hit
* add another accuracy node/cluster to the left side of the tree
* add a support gem that gives a bonus when killing ignited enemies (like Ice Bite and Innervate), if technically possible
* reduce movespeed penalties from armour
* increase the single-target damage potential of a lightning spell
* increase the item level of the white items that masters sell
* allow statue monsters to be magic and rare
* give scion two more Ascendancy classes as to have three total like the other characters have
* continue balancing and adding to Ascendancy classes

and probably some more things but trying to avoid tl;dr
Softcore, solo self-found.
-----Currently: -----
Storm Call Occultist in Affliction
"
Spoiler
Monster damage needs to go down. It has gotten too far out of control, time to scale this shit back.

Stun scaling ratio between monster damage and player life needs to go WAY the fuck down. CI should swap ES for Life in stun calculations. This basically goes for all status effects that scale on damage vs. life, but stun is the worst offender due to how inefficient it is to build against. You can pop a flask for stuff like freeze, poison, or bleed, but there is no way to roll a blue anti-stun flask.

Evasion should have a secondary chance based on maybe half it's value to reduce incoming attack damage that isn't outright prevented. Give us a chance for "glancing blows."

Just fucking rewrite the entire armor formula. It's awful, I really don't even think it's salvageable in it's current form.

Once all the defenses have been fixed to be less dogshit, let Endurance charges grant increased global defense instead of a straight reduction. This will push Endurance charges towards being for people who are building tanky, instead of being the objectively best charge type for everyone in any scenario.

I agree. The way PoE new versions have gone this year is ever upward in difficulty just to suppress a very few top of the player pyramid elites that can race a build to 100 < 1 month (about 2 weeks in Essence League even with the 95+ xp nerfs... who the F'ck are these players?). The obsession GGG has at blocking/preventing the majority of players from advancing a build past level 90 is crazy insane (and even the grind to level 90 isn't pleasant anymore with so many nerfs).

On the last Lioneye's Watch #09 podcast Jonathan Rogers talks about the difficulties of the rebalancing required for Act 5 so that Cruel difficulty is thrown out and only 2 playthroughs are required to get to mapping. Now is the perfect time while to scale back playing speed and damage across the board while this major rebalancing is being done.

One thing that is clear after watching many of the PoE podcasts when a GGG dev. is the guest is that the hosts of the podcast are top elite players and thus the talk always gravitates to the top elite desires for content challenges and thus the GGG devs view of the PoE player base and what is best for "the needs of the many" is always skewed toward making difficultly be focused for the top 1% of players. This is certainly not new as GGG has always viewed PoE from a position of punishment and starvation for all things so that if you can't get to the carrot (rewards) you will continue to grind play longer. That certainly works for the top elite players but the 95%+ time limited non-grinders and other casual players that love PoE are completely left out as usual. But for the rest of us we have either quit and moved on (millions have) or like myself have to find my own things to do that don't involve the top 1% of content. So for Essence league I know I'll never get to the any of the 4 guardian bosses and probably with my limited playing time won't even play a single red map. So I'm revisiting some older builds and respeccing them and finding some fun here.

One thing that GGG has failed with PoE is to adequately address the needs of the new and casual players verses the top elites. The gap in playing capabilities is ever widening and with GGG mostly focusing on the top end players they eschew the rest of us and push us into frustration and rage quitting. Even some of the top streamers quit this year over GGG's xp and other nerfs and failure to address and fix well know problems (trade for example). It certainly looks from my ground view that GGG (and elites) are up in the clouds and see PoE completely differently and thus we will never get any QoP improvements to make our less than elite playing capabilities more enjoyable. Yes, yes the elites can all tell me I'm free to quit anytime (and if act 5 just doubles down on the map leveling grind I will quit) and over nearly 4 years I have gotten better as a player but will never achieve anything close to elite status and I'm ok with that. But the potential for PoE to surpass D2 (D3 is just a weird arpg for my taste) in greatness is there if GGG would take off their rose colored glasses and come down from their cloud atlas and view PoE from the non-elite players perspective and give us some QoP loving.

There is something rotten in Wraeclast and it is much more than just the fowl stench of Rhoas.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070

"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
Last edited by Arrowneous on Oct 21, 2016, 3:21:27 PM
I'd set boss health to 95% of what it is now to try and fight the sponge syndrome.
PoE has a beautiful, rich, detailed world - you can really feel the skill which went into crafting it.
The game mechanics on the other hand leave much room for improvement.
I would reduce general game speed.

Now everything is too oriented to be ridiculousy fast (movement speed, attacks per second, game focus for example the lab).

Really..late game is so fast that cant even see whats happening during action..in party is even worse.

CLick mouse for attack, enemies destroyed in half sec..

Click button for movement (whirling blade or just run), sprint like cheetah, cross entire map/istance in 10 sec
"The sword of justice is swift and sharp"
Last edited by Nimoc on Oct 21, 2016, 12:48:11 PM
I would turn each player into a spaceship, implement twin-stick controls so I could play with a controller, and then re-theme all of the equipment and skills to match. Otherwise I would keep the gameplay basically the same.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
Last edited by Entropic_Fire on Oct 26, 2016, 11:28:41 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info