[2.4] Brain Rattler Chieftain - 100% Fire - Melee or Totem - Uber Lab/Mapping/Atziri - HC or SC

This is my guide for 100% Fire using the Brain Rattler unique Mace.
The build is for Melee (Earthquake, Cyclone) or can be used as Dual Warchief Totem's.
I will be updating the guide with more info over the coming day's.
The main focus of the build is the weapon and amulet which I have linked below for those unfamiliar with them.
Brain Rattler - Unique Two-Hand Mace

Xoph's Blood - Amber Amulet

Here is a basic list of what the build can offer.
1. VERY CHEAP. All Unique Item's needed for the build are currently very cheap.
Brain Rattler, Alpha's Howl and Call of the Brotherhood are the only required item's for the build, most leveling unique's are very cheap also.

2. HARDCORE VIABLE. With over 7.5k Life potential, 13K+ Armour and 700+ Life Regeneration, this build is easily viable in Hardcore.

3. MELEE or MELEE TOTEMS. Can easily be made as Dual Totem for even more map pool option's or a safer play style. Totem's can be immune to fire damage from Ascendancy so reflect map's will be no issue.

4. HIGH DAMAGE. Most support gem option's have close to or over 50% more damage multiplier's, also Lion's Roar Flask also has a 35% more damage modifier. With Skill Tree and Ascendancy point's giving 18% Fire penetration and 20% physical added as fire if you have killed recently the multiplier's stack up for huge amount's of pure fire damage. Aura's and Curse(s) add even more damage without much investment. Good gear is just icing on the cake.

5. VERSATILE. Uber Lab, End Game Mapping and Atziri farming are all easily doable even without great gear.

Demonstration Video's

Atziri Run - Level 88
Basic clear of Atziri - Ancestral Warchief only has culling strike in this video.
https://youtu.be/01qnzStTrkY

T12 Estuary Clear at level 83
Just a basic demonstration video so people can see the build in action while I am still levelling up.
https://youtu.be/mSiXhYth_x4

Playstyle and Skill's Usage

Earthquake - This is the best main source of damage for general melee in my opinion. Slam the ground once and keep moving for most monster's, tankier monster's should be cursed, have warchief totem up and then a few whacks and it will be over quick.

Ancestral Warchief - Can be used as a main skill with dual totem or to supplement normal melee. Good for extra DPS on bosses and harder monster's.

Flammability Curse - Cast on Bosses and harder monster's for 40+ Fire Penetration which is a huge DPS boost.

Enduring/Rallying Cry - Used as normal for extra defenses (Enduring Cry) or more damage along with a mana regen buff (Rallying Cry).

Leap Slam - Movement skill for the build and a way to proc Fortify for extra defense.

Blood Rage - Used only for the attack speed increase and to generate Frenzy Charges

Ascendancy

Chieftain

The ascendancy choices are the same for Hardcore and Standard league's
This is my preferred order and selection of ascendancy points
Melee Version
Ngamahu, Flame's Advance - 15% Ignite Chance, 35% increased damage against burning enemies.

Hinekora, Death's Fury - 1% Life Leech, 10% Fire Pen, 1% of Totem damage leeched to you, 20% of physical added as fire if killed recently.

Ramako, Sun's Light - 0.5% Life regen Per Endurance Charge, cannot be ignited, 20% chance for Endurance charge on kill.

Tawhoa, Forest's Strength - 40% Armour, 10 All resist, 10% reduced mana cost and 10% Increased Strength.

Dual Totem Version
Ngamahu, Flame's Advance - 15% Ignite Chance, 35% increased damage against burning enemies.

Hinekora, Death's Fury - 1% Life Leech, 10% Fire Pen, 1% of Totem damage leeched to you, 20% of physical added as fire if killed recently.

Arohongui, Moon's Presence - Enemies near totems deal 8% less damage and take 16% increased physical and fire damage

Tukohama, War's Herald - Totem's are immune to fire damage, have 50% of your armour, 20% chance to taunt on hit and reflect 8% of their max life as fire.

Gearing Information

Gem Links Setup

Numbered in order of preference.
(This is with a Kaom's Heart - NO chest setup for gem's)

Weapon - 1.Earthquake, 2.Cold To Fire, 3.Less Duration, 4.Weapon Elemental Damage 5.Melee Physical Damage and 6.Elemental Focus as the 6th link.

Gloves - 1.Ancestral Warchief, 2.Culling Strike, 3.Blood Rage, 4.Enduring or Rallying Cry

Boots - 1.Leap Slam, 2.Faster Attacks, 3.Fortify, 4.Flammability or Enfeeble

Helmet
- 1.Grace, 2.Hatred, 3.Herald of Ash, 4.Enlighten Level 3+

Budget Gearing Info

Weapon
TO UPDATE

Chest Armour
TO UPDATE

Weapon's

Starting Weapons
TO UPDATE

End Game Weapon's
6 linked Brain Rattler is the ideal end game weapon for the build.

Aura's

I use Hatred, Herald of Ash and Grace for my end game Aura's, These are supported by a level 3 or level 4 Enlighten Gem and placed inside my Alpha's Howl Helmet.

Body Armour

Rare 5 or 6 link body armour is ideal for starting out or if you want extra single target damage from a 6 or 5 link Ancestral Warchief setup. Can also be used for dedicated Dual Totem Ancestral Warchief.

Kaom's Heart is a Huge Life increase and damage at the same time, I recommend this if you can go without the extra gem's

Jewelry

Increased Elemental Damage with Weapon's, Life, Resists and Stat point's are ideal for rare jewellery, Call of the Brotherhood unique ring is used to convert Lightning damage to cold.

Boots

30% Movement Speed, High life and Resist's. Get the best rare pair of boot's you can.

Gloves

High Life, Dual Resist and craftable Attack Speed is nice but Tri resist glove's will work fine if you need the extra resists.

Helmet

Alpha's Howl Unique Helmet - Reduced Reservation for Herald of Ash, Hatred or Grace is a good enchant for this for a little extra mana to work with when getting started. Reduced Earthquake duration is ideal for DPS

Jewels

Life, Fire Damage, Physical Damage and Dexterity are some good stat's when searching for rare jewels.

This jewel below is only required if you don't have a helm enchant for reduced reservation or you want a slightly larger mana pool.

Izaro's Turmoil can be used for large DPS gain's at the cost of life and stat point's.

Leveling Information and Bandit Reward's

TP UPDATE
Aura's While Leveling

I used Hatred, Herald of Ash and Arctic Armour while leveling.
I switch from Arctic Armour to Grace when I have Alpha's Howl with Enlighten gem and enough reserved mana reduction to be comfortable.

Bandit Information

Hardcore
Normal - Help Oak for + Life (Skill point is also viable depending on preference)
Cruel - Kill all and take skill point
Merciless - Help Oak for +1 Endurance Charge

Standard

Normal - Kill All and take skill point (Helping Oak is viable for a slight health buff)
Cruel - Kill all and take skill point
Merciless - Help Oak for +1 Endurance Charge (Helping Kraityn or Killing all and taking skill point is viable also)

My Gear

Character Sheet Defenses

Character Sheet Defense's Screenshot taken in hideout
TO UPDATE

F.A.Q

TO UPDATE
IGN - @Smokntumbleweed ~ Streaming @ twitch.tv/smokintumbleweed
Ignite Vortex Build Guide - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1735563
Brain Rattler 100% Fire Build Guide - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1757390
My Loot Filter located @ bit.ly/poefilter
Last edited by SmokinTumbleWeed on Dec 9, 2016, 2:41:56 AM
Last bumped on Mar 18, 2017, 10:20:44 PM
Try use infernal blow. That grants more clear speed. You don't use inc aoe and have slow CS atm. Simple eq build with voidheart just better.

Also, you can try hinekora's amulet with elemental overload. You will gain 1000 accur and grant's 40% More elemental damage with orb of storms proc with crits. I trying this with totems and dmg boost is real great

I really like idea to use brain rattler. But, atm you can get just better with nice flat phys weapon and don't be afraid of elemental reflect mods on maps
Why would you use a purely fire build with Brain Rattler? I mean why not actually take advantage of the unique and use Phys to Lightning support for 100% lightning, giving you shock instead?
My summoner guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1765329
My shop thread: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1748967
I wanted to go fire as well with my chieftain so I've followed some of your lead. I found however that I can do more damage if I use pyre in addition to brotherhood ring. I started to follow the math on the damage conversion wiki and my brain imploded. So I just tried on a few combinations... The only way I can see getting more damage to fire is to go 1-H with the shield or bow with the quiver that converts. Either seem like less overall damage than brain rattler.
"
inner_child wrote:
I wanted to go fire as well with my chieftain so I've followed some of your lead. I found however that I can do more damage if I use pyre in addition to brotherhood ring. I started to follow the math on the damage conversion wiki and my brain imploded. So I just tried on a few combinations... The only way I can see getting more damage to fire is to go 1-H with the shield or bow with the quiver that converts. Either seem like less overall damage than brain rattler.

Hey dude cool to hear you are trying out the fire version, I think most people skip this build when they see it's not 100% lightning version.

There are a few good option's for ring slot's, the new essence mod 10% of physical added as fire is very nice for a ring if you can get good other stats. Pyre is a decent choice also but having 2 unique ring's with no life seemed a bit much to recommend as the first item in the guide.

I don't think a 1 hand version would be very good overall but it may be worth doing some testing and seeing if you like it. The conversion won't be as easy or have as much damage with a 1 hand in my opinion but could have some interesting things provided by a shield.

I have pretty much gotten bored of Atlas league so have stopped experimenting with the build, hopefully you have good success with it.
IGN - @Smokntumbleweed ~ Streaming @ twitch.tv/smokintumbleweed
Ignite Vortex Build Guide - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1735563
Brain Rattler 100% Fire Build Guide - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1757390
My Loot Filter located @ bit.ly/poefilter
Works in 2.6?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info