A plea to GGG not to nerf melee Poison into the ground.

Hello everyone,

Patch notes have hinted at future removal or at least "adjustment" to double-dipping on Poison. I currently play a melee Poison build and have grown very attached to the tactical advantages that Poison offers (such as reflect protection and fire-and-forget kite enabling). Please consider that melee Poison is not overpowered at the moment (unless perhaps you consider legacy Voidheart, but I would hope legacy items don't affect your balance decisions!).

I don't mind how this is achieved, whether it is by keeping double-dip for the Chaos Damage modifier, where I gain the bulk of my damage, or whether it is by axing double-dip completely and compensating by adding Poison-boosting passive nodes in the tree (DoT? Increased Poison Damage?). I've grown to very much enjoy having the bulk of my damage dealt as DoT, and I would very much like to keep it that way without being yanked down from clearing T12s to struggling on T4s. Heck, I would even accept if Viper Strike got reverted to its old version, where it adds Toxic Charges to the enemy for flat chaos damage, or something.

One of the other reasons I would feel sad if melee Poison got nerfed to the ground is that I would probably have to change weapons to compensate. Currently, Malicious weapons are a very niche item archetype with a very niche use in the end-game:

But if melee Poison gets nerfed to the ground, especially through removal of double-dip, these weapons would essentially become worthless, and I would just have to seek a high physical damage weapon like 95% of all other Attack builds out there, making itemization even staler than it already is. I thought you hated stale itemization!

Thanks for considering my input.
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
Last bumped on Oct 24, 2016, 11:47:29 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Here's a complete list of actions GGG would need to accomplish to ensure melee poison is nerfed into the ground:

When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Oct 20, 2016, 12:04:04 AM
Shit's screwed dude thank the community.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
"
Area Damage if applied by an area skill[5][6]
Projectile Damage if applied by a projectile skill[1]
Trap Damage if applied by a trap
Mine Damage if applied by a mine
Totem Damage if applied by a totem
Minion Damage if applied by a minion

im still hoping that they will only touch these and nothing else
Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is? Insanity is doing the exact... same fucking thing... over and over again expecting... shit to change... That. Is. Crazy. thinking: "This time is gonna be different. No, no, no please... This time is gonna be different."

-Path of Exile
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Here's a complete list of actions GGG would need to accomplish to ensure melee poison is nerfed into the ground:

I think you and I have some very different ideas about where the ground is :O

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
"
xrook wrote:
"

This means that none of those modifiers will not affect poison dmg after poison fix?
Why is the poison problem and double dipping poison? Why not whispering ice cold/fire double dip?
GGG likes to nerf cheap builds, they hate casual players...
Last edited by Tihi1982 on Oct 24, 2016, 11:40:31 AM
"
Tihi1982 wrote:
"
xrook wrote:
"

This means that none of those modifiers will not affect poison dmg after poison fix?

This means that those modifiers would not directly affect poison after fix. They would still indirectly make Poison stronger by making the Hit stronger.

"
adghar wrote:
"

This means that none of those modifiers will not affect poison dmg after poison fix?[/quote]

This means that those modifiers would not directly affect poison after fix. They would still indirectly make Poison stronger by making the Hit stronger.[/quote]

I know that, initial hit will work like before but without double dip with only 2sec duration and 8% from initial hit, poison buff from support gem will be useless imo, maybe poison buff will work for viper strike bc 8sec duration and some phys to chaos conversion. Poison support will be like any mediocre gem maybe even worse, like totally broken incinerate skill.
Last edited by Tihi1982 on Oct 24, 2016, 12:31:16 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info