Melee > Range at higher levels and nice gear

"
Nephalim wrote:
"
DDseedFoot wrote:
You are right, it seems hilarious and also I didnt elaborate correctly,
melee builds using daggerish weapons clear much faster is what I really mean.

Maces and Staves are completely different story, i agree.

Also, I mentioned that melee is better with really nice gears so Im factoring in that fraction of the price argument is non existent

My reave build was around 1200 exish to build and now my flicker is about 1500ex

I have never seen any range match those two builds in sheer clearspeed.

Only thing that came close was old coc discharge and large aoe blade vortex.

Maybe old vaal spark may be faster solo mapping but I wouldnt really call vaal spark ranged.

Its really believable to say
"Im reave with loath bane and I clear old gorge before atlas in 90 seconds while missing about 20 mobs"
cuz I was able to do it.

just put whirling blades with faster attacks with around 2aps dagger and its totally doable.

Sorry for not elaborating on my point enough

Thanks for your thought tho.

GG

Can you post some videos of melee builds clearing t13 ww, t14 springs, t15 shaped collonade, t16 maps faster than ranged?

Im sorry as I do not have the program or knowledge of recording and uploading gameplay
But Im sure there are builds around such as flicker strike omnislasher or google "high budget CI reave"

as I got my inspiration from those builds for reave and flicker.

But considering I did 99 to 100 in less than one day on poe stats
I hope my words holds some credit for you as you can check my poe stats for my witch

GG
So interesting tid bit:

melee - a confused fight, skirmish, or scuffle:

I always thought melee was hand combat, or a weapon that attacks without leaving your hand.

Even with my wrong definition, POE would not meet my expectations for melee. My expectation is short ranged because of being melee. It appears I am bringing too many real life expectations into a fantasy world.

So how can we differentiate between "melee" and "ranged"? I think we need to substitute "melee" with "single target". "Ranged" with "area of effect" or maybe "non targeted".

Then the perceived problem becomes, single target has no niche.
"
SuicideAll wrote:
So interesting tid bit:

melee - a confused fight, skirmish, or scuffle:

I always thought melee was hand combat, or a weapon that attacks without leaving your hand.

Even with my wrong definition, POE would not meet my expectations for melee. My expectation is short ranged because of being melee. It appears I am bringing too many real life expectations into a fantasy world.

So how can we differentiate between "melee" and "ranged"? I think we need to substitute "melee" with "single target". "Ranged" with "area of effect" or maybe "non targeted".

Then the perceived problem becomes, single target has no niche.

I know what you mean
ant this point I just consider whatever skill gem to have "melee" tag to be melee in this game.

GG
"
DDseedFoot wrote:
"
Nephalim wrote:
"
DDseedFoot wrote:

Also, I mentioned that melee is better with really nice gears so Im factoring in that fraction of the price argument is non existent

My reave build was around 1200 exish to build and now my flicker is about 1500ex

Maybe old vaal spark may be faster solo mapping but I wouldnt really call vaal spark ranged.

"Im reave with loath bane and I clear old gorge before atlas in 90 seconds while missing about 20 mobs"
cuz I was able to do it.

just put whirling blades with faster attacks with around 2aps dagger and its totally doable.

GG

Can you post some videos of melee builds clearing t13 ww, t14 springs, t15 shaped collonade, t16 maps faster than ranged?

Im sorry as I do not have the program or knowledge of recording and uploading gameplay
But Im sure there are builds around such as flicker strike omnislasher or google "high budget CI reave"

as I got my inspiration from those builds for reave and flicker.

But considering I did 99 to 100 in less than one day on poe stats
I hope my words holds some credit for you as you can check my poe stats for my witch

GG

I really can't until I see video proof.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
"
DDseedFoot wrote:

cuz I was able to do it.

GG

and still has no clue that WhirlBlade is based on +attackspeed mod of the dagger and not the total aps :)
I am pretty damned sure the reason Flicker strike is not highly regarded up until now is due to its poor damage scaling that makes it impossible to clear tier 13+ maps. In addition, a flicker striker dashing into a crowd with 2 volatile XXX blood rares ends up in certain death while a ranged player simply ignores what happened. The success of ranged in this game is not just about offense but also defense.
"
Deadpeng wrote:
I am pretty damned sure the reason Flicker strike is not highly regarded up until now is due to its poor damage scaling that makes it impossible to clear tier 13+ maps. In addition, a flicker striker dashing into a crowd with 2 volatile XXX blood rares ends up in certain death while a ranged player simply ignores what happened. The success of ranged in this game is not just about offense but also defense.

I was talking about clearspeed

and im not even lv 100 or wearing the most optimal gear and I hit for 200k average damage with flicker with flasks.
if Flicker can do uber trio then im sure it can do t13+ maps
as I do both
Don't want to get into the detailed argument going on here on whether OP is to bebelieved or not. Just want to pitch in that the fastest clear speed chars that I played recently (HC) have been:
- RF vortex
- FB shieldcharger
- Crit arc (pre ascendancy)

Have also played:
- Generic TS
- CoC quill rain barrage
- Necromancer BV
- Max block aegis EQ
- Generic cyclone

As you can see the builds I found to be fastest are pretty much melee, with the exception of my Crit arc witch. This leads me to agree with OP.

Disclaimer: I play HC, and usually rip in mid - late 80s, thus not getting to the really late content. Therefore I cannot discuss clear speed in top tier maps/über/shaper etc. Another point is that the builds I mentioned as fastest clearing have not been most successful in terms of getting to high lvl (like I said, HC).
If it works, its not melee,even if its melee.

If it kills more than one target at a time,its not melee,even if its melee.

And no EQ is not melee,because it still OP and puts to shame most of the range builds,but its not melee,even though its melee.

Though yea,some skills needs buffed.

Just clearing some confusion people might have with these threads.
"
DDseedFoot wrote:
I mostly played melee builds in PoE.

mjolner discharge (kinda melee)
coc discharge
life RF
ES RF
etc

GG

HAHAHAHAHA Melee he said
Poe Pvp experience
https://youtu.be/Z6eg3aB_V1g?t=302