Chris Wilson on Auction/bartering developed in China

"
Shagsbeard wrote:
You can only have so many "great" items before you realize the hunt for items is over.

Unless... you know... instead of improving your current character you are collecting items to sell to others or use on alts.

I think the content gating on the end-game side of POE is a great solution to this. Even if you need no better gear, you still need currencies to actually run end-game content. Permanent currency sinks were beautifully designed in this game.

Now if only there were a smooth way to actually trade in the game...
Last edited by Entropic_Fire on Oct 26, 2016, 11:38:33 PM
Please Please Please Please....

Do NOT implement an AH style buyout system. I'm begging you.
x
A kid with a magnifying glass. . . looming down on the anthill. Eventually one is going to get you.
Last edited by Maceless on Oct 28, 2016, 9:16:53 PM
"
Maceless wrote:

Balance design in which everyone wanted the same items

99% of drops entirely nonviable.

This sounds like POE to me :(

Spoiler
Especially since the current meta apparently includes more than just spell>melee but also ES>life

If that was a bad thing in D3 how is it any better here?

I read that "itemization" was awful in D3, but POE seems identical to me (at least with respect to what D2 had).

Spoiler
Trading in D2: I'll trade you Immortal King armor for your Windforce! Sounds good. Possible rolls on those items do not vary so much as to matter at all.

D3(Vanilla): A unique dropped... is it good? Depends on the roll... Can I trade it to someone else? Good luck even describing the item without using the auction hall listing a half dozen stats for you...

POE: same crap... good luck even describing the stats on an item without a database setup like poe.trade

Yuck
"
SudianX wrote:
"
Maceless wrote:

Balance design in which everyone wanted the same items

99% of drops entirely nonviable.

This sounds like POE to me :(

Spoiler
Especially since the current meta apparently includes more than just spell>melee but also ES>life

This sounds like every single game.
There will be always cookie-cutter build which will be in high demand.

"
SudianX wrote:

If that was a bad thing in D3 how is it any better here?

I read that "itemization" was awful in D3, but POE seems identical to me (at least with respect to what D2 had).

Spoiler
Trading in D2: I'll trade you Immortal King armor for your Windforce! Sounds good. Possible rolls on those items do not vary so much as to matter at all.

D3(Vanilla): A unique dropped... is it good? Depends on the roll... Can I trade it to someone else? Good luck even describing the item without using the auction hall listing a half dozen stats for you...

POE: same crap... good luck even describing the stats on an item without a database setup like poe.trade

Yuck

Not sure what you meant by this?

Describing, like linking the item into chat? In this case you really just link item into the chat.

or describing like finding a suitable price to sell it for? Ofc, you cannot do that without AH. Unless you take personal notes about same/similiar item being sold on chat.

If AH killed D3, then it was supposed to die soon or later. AH just uncovered low replay-ability it had. That's it.

Edit:
On a sidenote. For each such thread as this "AH or not AH", there are numerous other threads about ridiculous topics like "Do people like when someone doesn't copy/paste poe.trade message", "Why people always lowball?", "Was this guy trying to scam me?", "Was that guy trying to scam me?". So many petty threads which would be gone with AH.

Ofc, threads about market manipulation and flippers would still be trending, but those were already here with poe.trade being used. So no change here.
Last edited by logosys on Oct 27, 2016, 12:52:40 AM
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
Without item degradation, any form of trade renders a loot finding game eventually pointless. An AH or consignment merchant or what ever you want to call it would only speed the game to that conclusion. You can only have so many "great" items before you realize the hunt for items is over.

Please, link me all of your +1 Level 6L Shavs you have. Skyforths? Or Starforges. Or anything worth more than 10ex.
Because you use that the hunt is over term, but I'm unsure if you know what it means. :-P
Trade or not, you will ALWAYS reach a point where loot finding game is pointless... unless items have durability, which is mostly annoying and artificial.
Trade simply enables you to make use of items that aren't useful for your character. And given how PoE's characters are built, we won't see targeted loot (which is dumb on its own) any time soon.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
"
logosys wrote:

If AH killed D3, then it was supposed to die soon or later. AH just uncovered low replay-ability it had. That's it.

I'll agree to this!

A smoother trade system would only be bad for POE if it is already headed for the crapper. It is not.

D3 had no replay-ability once you played each class because of the unlimited respec possibilities and lack of challenging content (in Vanilla). POE does not have either problem.

Honestly the 3rd party tools for POE are practically what D3 had already... it is just unprofessionally awkward for POE. I personally don't care about details involving search functions, asynchronous capabilities, bartering/haggling opportunities, or an actual bidding/auctioning function... just give us more than the trade chat in the game.

Spoiler
When the last round of trading "improvements" involved tabs to work better with 3rd party search api / websites, whatever...

Sigh.

I'm seriously disappointed. If it didn't take so long with the Desync fix I would have given this game up as a lost cause already. Clearly they want to make things better... they are just very slow about it.

As far as my dislike of the itemization: I'm thinking of it from a buyer's perspective. Of course linking something in chat for sale is simple enough, even if no one ever sees it.

But describing an item that you want to purchase... ew.

Unless it is a unique... but still... considering possible rolls or legacy versions of said unique... ew.

At least related to trade that is about it. It just feels awkward and clumsy.

Spoiler
It does not help that I would rather trade items for items rather than use gambling orbs as currency. I have other gripes with the itemization which are not related to trade.
Here is the biggest potential problem, if you have a AH with instant remote trading,
and accurate searches:

People will start trading currency in bulks, which allows greater manipulation of currency fractions,
say 10c:160 alts. This is clearly something that GGG tries to avoid, turning Poe into a stock market simulator, where players focus on currency trades 24/7 on 3 screens with popup addons that stream the flow of currency supply and demand flow statistics... That is not what a ARPG should be about.

The fine line of balance has to be found first.

Also the rapidly fluxuating prices would create very unpleasent instability.
You might play a few days at 1c: 16 alts, the next day wake up at 1c:7 alts,
or 1c:40 alts. That's instant trading.

The data load of all these trade streams themself might even put their own heavy load of stress on the servers.
"Im smartest. Your stoped. Dael wiht it."
Last edited by Quantume on Oct 27, 2016, 10:28:56 AM
Why anyone would want items to be as available as they will be with an AH, is beyond me. Every single item in the game will be one click away - and more "in your face" than they are now. RMT and bot farming will skyrocket, and every other dude will farm Dried Lake for chaos, buy everything, and whine about the lack of item progression.

But hey, whatever floats your boat. We are all different. And that's a good thing.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
Last edited by Phrazz on Oct 27, 2016, 10:41:20 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info