Chris Wilson on Auction/bartering developed in China

If there was an AH people would spend more time searching it for the best deals, market manipulators would go all out in their market manipulation. The natural reward loop of the item drops would vaporize and become a case where you farm not for items for your build, but currency to buy the items for your build.

Upgrades cease to drop for you, because you will always find even better stuff on the AH board.

This is the reason why the Gold and Real Money AH killed D3, apart from its terrible itemization.

If I had easy access to an AH I would have easy access to cheap tri resist armor pieces and boots with high movespeed. I would have leveling gear at every level block where I then proceed to simply not have to bother with gear and just burn through content. Anything I do find I convert to currency and upgrade that currency to buy my upgrades.

Because spending the time looking for upgrades from kills would be vastly more inefficient then simply looking for currency to buy the upgrades off the AH board.

Ultimately any AH implementation means that currency has to be made harder to get/make. People would have to practically be forced to trade gear for gear. All in order to keep the game a hunt for loot, not a hunt exclusively for currency like vanilla D3.
"
Arrowneous wrote:
"
ladish wrote:

actually I think it's:
AH
- players find items they want fast
- players reach their gear/progress cap, get bored and quit

no-AH
- players grind to self-find items or put effort into trading for them in imperfect system modeled on d2
- players whinge about not finding gear while continuing to play the game

Interesting that the arguments against having a way to search for and buy easily so we can get back to doing what we want the most in PoE, playing new skills and experimenting, monster bashing, and exile leveling, are mostly focused on players reaching gear and especially the level 100 cap and quitting. That argument may be true for a few % of players but always overlooks the other way that PoE currently is coded toward and that is GGG making the path to greater gear and the grind to level 100 so arduous and time consuming that a greater % of players quit from grind tedium or shear exhaustion from map grind burnout.

GGG clearly fails to see that PoE should be coded to allow the path from level 68 to 100 be easier and then set a greater challenge for players to then do that for all 7 classes. GGG should have a very large carrot (grand prize) for any player with level 100 builds in all 7 classes and an exile Hall of Fame ladder to showcase the 7 builds for any player that does so.

That should be the final goal playing the endgame and not for GGG to prevent playing to level 100. Poisoning the playing field drives away more players daily than would leave because they got a level 100 build. PoE is great because of it being a wide open build sandbox. GGG shouldn't be nerfing millions out of the endgame to prevent level 100, they should be engineering higher combinations of prizes (such as the level 100 in all 7 classes) for rewarding those who push a build to 100, not punishing those who try.

Vinegar is most definitely worse than honey. Wise up GGG and all who are in lockstep with their mindset and make the endgame goals "fun to play".

It's very sad that GGG can't think more 3-dimensional and is unable to see the bigger picture because of their past and present very limited isometric view. PoE could and should be so much better for so many more arpg fans than it is. Sigh!!!
Is all you do whine about not getting 100 ? It literally takes 3-4 days play time to hit 100 still, youre no where near close to 100.

Stop asking GGG to change shit that doesnt need changed.
Harvest sucks! But look at my decked out gear two weeks in!

Labyrinth salt farm miner.

"But my build diversity" , "Game is too hard!" - Meta drone playing the same 1-3 builds for years.
"
Faendris wrote:
I can't wait so see all the pro AH guys going like "i can't sell shit, I never find anything valueable, economy is broken" as soon as they get their AH.

An AH will make all the stuff that an average player finds on an average day of playing PoE completely worthless. Supply and demand. Easy.

This already happened in D3. Everyone complained that "drops were adjusted for AH". Of course they weren't getting upgrades as drops after buying a "decent" item from AH because when 100 000 players grind the same content, the chance that the item you want drops to any other than you is huge.

Now they've removed AH and boosted the drop rates and behold, you can deck your character in full ancient gear with next to perfect stats in few days. No serious players play for more than a week every season, few casual scum do because they play an hour a week and think it's all fucking dandy. This all happened because they listened to the bitching of the self entitled generation.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
There is a cost to trading. It costs you time. Remove that cost and the market will be flooded with items that people wouldn't want to bother selling currently. You would be able to find what ever gear you might need with no cost. None. It would be essentially free.

When stuff is free, people stop valuing it. When they stop valuing it, they quit playing.

It's not about "interaction". It's about cost. The interaction is just the excuse to hide the cost.

I think a AH or consignment shop would be fine... but they need to include a posting cost or they'll ruin their game.

If an AH provided about the same functionality as the POE.trade system, I don't see how it would save much time. I mean, maybe you would get less "AFK" responses.

As it stands, the POE.trade system works very well and takes little time. An ingame AH would only serve as a convenience and allow "noob" players an easier to learn system and allow them to participate sooner.

That's a good thing.

The only argument is that it will drive prices down... which is what most anti-AH people are worrying about.
Market manipulators do exist.

Build of the week

Youtubers showing their builds
"
Alhoon wrote:
few casual scum do because they play an hour a week
weak b8 m8 I r8 2/8
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
Id like to see an ah for currency's and essences. Its a pain in the ass to make 10 requests for a wailing essence (example) and its not worth the seller to take the time for the price.

Rares and items would take up server space with volatile mods/damage, where as currency static, like +1, takes no space.

They could also upgrade the vendors to give up to a chaos, they are pretty common now. Chromes are way too expensive btw from vendor, that should be fixed too.

Gems on the AH too, for soloists who cant get a certain gem, would solve that problem

Last edited by Chadwixx on Oct 24, 2016, 11:44:48 PM
"
Demonoz wrote:
"
Nephalim wrote:
Because AH killed diablo 3.

Correction... RMAH (Real Money Auction House) killed D3. Thats was a disaster waiting to happen from the moment it was announced. If they had just stuck with a Gold only AH they would have not had even a fraction of the problems they had. Of Course there would have still been some botting you cant stop that but it wouldn't have been on the scale it was with money involved.

That said to be completely honest just the Stash Tabs being able to sale things out of has made selling things not only harder but drove the prices of most everything into the ground.. I think an AH would only make this even more so. Some games just wont fit well with an AH.. And i believe this is one of those games.
If they add an AH my fear is to counter the effects it would have on prices they would in turn have to make drops even more rare than they already are making trade or using the AH the only way to gear even more than it already is. Either drops would have to be made more rare OR they would have to implement some sort of item sink for uniques that won't sell because they are so common. Maybe a new vendor recipe for a full set of uniques? Like the chaos and regal only with uniques? And maybe it would give a divine and at a certain lvl 75 or 80 ilvl it gives an Exalt. IDK just throwing out ideas.

Trade needs some love but im not sold on an AH being that love trade needs.

I can understand your point but I think the AH could be the best solution theoretically.

Though, everyone seems to forget how much effort GGG should put in creating a system similar to D3's old AH (which was beautiful technically). It requires so much resources (with "resources" i dont mean only dedicated timework for some of the staff members, but also money) that i fear GGG right now doesn't have avaiable, considering there are so many problems ingame that are more important: i'm thinking about servers that aren't good as they should be, but also in planning new leagues (this is the first thing that make them get money) and try to balance out this game.
"
AintCare wrote:
poe.trade is the AH without insta b/o

It is already way more efficient to play poe.trade to acquire items then it is to play the game....

this game is already going to shit, once insta b/o will be here you wont even have to enter instances to get all BiS gear

Why are you people keep on repeating that AH somehow gives you more items. You still need to BUY THEM. In order to buy them you need to SPEND CURRENCY. If you have currency to buy items, you can buy them without any problem. It is only matter of how much time do I want to waste on that. GGG giving it out as an argument and way of balancing economy is laughable, at best. Economy is broken on fundamental level, not because people can actually trade their items efficiently.

Market floods with items - too many uniques drop, getting quality gems (and gems in general) is too easy, leveling uniques are worth nothing. The 1-10c items are simply too common. All of that makes everything worthless, and because of that buying even the entry level map gear is matter of few chaos - there are dozen of people who have stash tabs full of such items.
Making trading harder to occur doesn't make it any better - there is still shitton of items for sale. And people WILL sell those items, especially because of how many people there are.

Simply put, it is not because market is too efficient. People will still loot these items to sell them later. And one way or the other, they will find a way to sell them, be it trade chat, poe.trade or AH.

You can make it hard and annoying (trade chat), less annoying (poe.trade) or simply get it right and then thinking about economy. Because as I said - economy is broken of fundamental level, and this cannot be fixed by making trade annoying.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
Last edited by Perq on Oct 26, 2016, 8:51:39 AM
Without item degradation, any form of trade renders a loot finding game eventually pointless. An AH or consignment merchant or what ever you want to call it would only speed the game to that conclusion. You can only have so many "great" items before you realize the hunt for items is over.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info