Why do most new video games suck?

Nostalgia?

Greed?

Repetition/lack of creativity?

Mainstreaming?

Anything else?

My quick opinion:

A little bit of everything.

I might type out a longer opinion later. Or just piggy back off others, haven't decided.
Last bumped on Oct 21, 2016, 5:34:51 PM
Player coming down with a severe case of getting older?
I thought up a couple more ideas.

Production? - In the days of Atari, a single person could make an entire game in less than a year.

Personal maturity - Maybe as people get older they change. The child that loved Duck Hunt, might simply outgrow it. Edit: I swear I didn't see you post before typing Qiox. :p <3
Last edited by SuicideAll on Oct 10, 2016, 10:23:29 PM
Most people cannot think of a good original idea or cannot make an interesting play on an idea already used.

Due to improvements on development, it's easier for less effort to yield a game. For instance, it takes almost no effort for someone to make 2D anime horror games; all it takes is some designing and good writing to make one that will kick off.

Most games suck nowadays because people don't think about the problems with the games we have or the ones that come out. People think about just what they want to do with them or just a few things that might be missing from one or a few other games.

Look at Dishonored. It's the typical assassin game where you have to pick and choose when you fight and when you slip by. What kicked it off was mainly the story, but also some of the design in terms of the combat and some in the actual flavor of the game. Flavor meaning the world and how it looks.

Now look at another one. APB: Reloaded. It's an amazing game that isn't the typical "ADS and hit your target with a silenced P90 across the map and 2-shot headshot kill him" bullshit we find in Call of Duty, nor is it the "pistol best weapon boiz" like we had in Halo 1. It also lacks the bullshit we find in Battlefield. However, despite the crazy amazing character customization, vehicle customization, weapon diversity (where other shooters have no true weapon differences), it suffered from two horrible companies that didn't know how to handle their game or their customers. It struggles to get just a few hundred players playing reliably at all times, and sometimes it dips to only two digits of players now and then. I think the highest players playing was some 1-2 thousand during a week or something. 1-2 thousand unique players. Me being one of them.

Path of Exile is an unrewarding game with almost no actual progression and no sense of freedom, like you would expect due to what you can do in the game. However, GGG has been able to make it prosper because of how they've continued to go about certain aspects. Fresh starts with "new" content, races, and microtransactions that don't affect the game at all. At least, not in any numerical way that you could benefit from.

Diablo 1 and 2 sold and were played a shit ton because of the quality of the games. Diablo 3 is popular because it caters to a group of kids, which is the only reason it is so popular.

Look at Starcraft 2. It's popular because it caters to hardcore players because of the melee games, and to creative and lax players with the Arcade function; all Blizzard had to do was make the editor available to their players and make it relatively easy (and automatic) to upload your maps for others to play. As such, we've seen Diablo, Diablo 2, Warcraft 3, and a few other games recreated on the Arcade. All of these things go to make Starcraft 2 more and more popular, as the availability of more diverse content brings more people in. As people join, they see other things they like and play it more. Every now and then a map creator joins and that means more content overall.

Even WoW can be explained, and in numerous ways.
"
Natharias wrote:

Due to improvements on development, it's easier for less effort to yield a game. For instance, it takes almost no effort for someone to make 2D anime horror games; all it takes is some designing and good writing to make one that will kick off.

That is interesting to me. I wonder if maybe the market isn't there or maybe a lack of exposure. Because, I've tried some 2D games off Steam and most were just crap in my opinion. I assumed that the good designers were just going into the major companies which don't bother with small project games. I also saw a documentary, maybe "Indie Game", it seemed like a lot of even 2D games were struggling in development hell. Which led me to the assumption that game development wasn't really speeding up over time.

"
Natharias wrote:

Now look at another one. APB: Reloaded.

I was interested in that game when it first came out. I forget why I never bothered. Recent shooter games have been horrible for me. My nostalgia in the shooter genre lies with Socom: U.S. Navy Seals. So Halo and Call of Duty were just the start of the "decline of shooters" for me.
"
SuicideAll wrote:
That is interesting to me. I wonder if maybe the market isn't there or maybe a lack of exposure. Because, I've tried some 2D games off Steam and most were just crap in my opinion. I assumed that the good designers were just going into the major companies which don't bother with small project games. I also saw a documentary, maybe "Indie Game", it seemed like a lot of even 2D games were struggling in development hell. Which led me to the assumption that game development wasn't really speeding up over time.

The only decent 2d anime things I mentioned were mainly from Markiplier. It's difficult to find them yourself, so I rely more on youtubers.

"
SuicideAll wrote:
I was interested in that game when it first came out. I forget why I never bothered. Recent shooter games have been horrible for me. My nostalgia in the shooter genre lies with Socom: U.S. Navy Seals. So Halo and Call of Duty were just the start of the "decline of shooters" for me.

APB is a wonderful game. There are some aspects players may not like, like how you can use a pistol and swap to a sniper in CQC, but I enjoy those aspects. It requires skill to pull off, or luck if the person being QSed (as it is called in the game, referred to as quickswitching or quickswapping) doesn't know how to play. It also requires patience against seasoned players. One does not simply round a corner when someone with a sniper is waiting for you to come out so they can one shot you.

However, the servers lag often, hackers are a consistent problem, the company is total shit, and matchmaking is the worst thing about it. All the time full groups composed of veteran golds will be opposing mixed golds, silvers, the occasional bronze or trainee, all of whom are uncoordinated. It's terrible.

Halo was a wonderful shooter. So was Halo 2 and so on. Halo 4 I don't know about and ODST was it's beginning fall. However, Halo was more for the story than the gameplay. At least for me.

Call of Duty has always been shit. Whoever hits first almost always won. Snipers were also a consistent problem due to quickscoping. SMGs could snipe across maps. Pistols were overpowered. Oh, but the thing that got me most...why the fuck did everyone always get four grenades? And why are maps always filled with grenade explosions? Noob tubes were never even remotely irritating to me. Grenades were. I'd rather go up against a team of noob tubers rather than people who used grenades. Grenades meant they could use any weapon, and it didn't reveal their position half as much as the tube did. Tubers were easy to deal with.

/endCODrant.

But yeah....there's that.
There's a few gems out there. Gimme a genre, I'll recommend something for you.
A comprehensive, easy on the eyes loot filter:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1245785

Need a chill group exiles to hang with? Join us:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1251403
Last edited by Entropic_Fire on Oct 26, 2016, 11:19:07 PM
"
SuicideAll wrote:
Nostalgia?

Greed?

Repetition/lack of creativity?

Mainstreaming?

Anything else?

My quick opinion:

A little bit of everything.

I might type out a longer opinion later. Or just piggy back off others, haven't decided.

bit of everything?

That and after so many years playing games everything is kinda stale/rehashed

which is why i'm getting the PSVR later in the week, experience the games in a different way.
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
Last edited by lagwin1980 on Oct 11, 2016, 1:44:50 PM
I discovered a free game recently Astroflux on Steam,seems a bit of a gem so far.It's a space shooter MMO with RPG elements.It feels pretty addictive at the moment whether I will bore of it in the future I don't know.It has a nice feel of progressiveness as you can upgrade in alsorts of ways.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info