Visiting New Zealand

Hey GingerBeast!

New Zealand is quite an outdoorsy country, if you enjoy winter activities Queenstown is a must, or Mt Ruapehu. Rotorua for geysers and spas.

Spoiler
Be wary of the smell.

Wellington is quite windy but has good food/drinks/coffee. Majority of the beautiful images of New Zealand you see around are of South Island, if you have time definitely back pack/road trip there and visit the alps.

Auckland is quite multicultural and a big city, we say 'yeah, yeah, nah' a lot. The weather also likes to change its mind quite frequently; rain one second and sunshine the next.

There are a lot of other places but if you have your dates set up/booked you are welcome to send us an email at 'support@grindinggear.com' about visiting us. :)
"
GingerBeast wrote:
We do have three smaller kids (the youngest just turned 3) so backpacking more than a few miles might not work well. That being said, she REALLY wants to go visit the Lord of the Rings stuff so i am sure we will be doing some hiking anyway.

The Hobbiton movie set in Matamata is a two hour drive from one of the main city centres in NZ (Auckland) and it's really awesome. I have been and would definitely go again! It was a nice easy day trip, and if you pick a good day you'll get an excellent view of the Green Dragon Inn and the surrounding scenery from Bag End. I believe kids under 9 get in free.

Spoiler
They also have nice ice cream there. :D

Contact us at support@grindinggear.com!
If you come in late February or March you'll get some of our hottest weather. It's also once everyone has returned to work/school so that tourist areas become less populated again. For good spots to visit, I definitely recommend the Coromandel, Rotorua and Wellington. If there's specific activities you want to do then you might change where you visit based on that. I have only heard good things about travelling in the South Island but have never been so can't offer any personal recommendations. Queenstown sounds pretty great.
I'd highly recommend Coromandel as a good destination to spend some time.
Please contact support@grindinggear.com if you need any assistance.
"
vio wrote:
"
Gary_GGG wrote:
I'd highly recommend Coromandel as a good destination to spend some time.

definitely on our list this year, can you recommend any special activity there?

The Coromandel Ranges are awesome if you enjoy hiking and tramping. There's also several camping grounds around.

There's old gold mines that you can explore, and if you enjoy fossicking, it's possible (though unlikely) to find alluvial gold in the streams.

Depending on time of year, there is the Scallop Festival in Whitianga.

Please contact support@grindinggear.com if you need any assistance.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info