A little someting for old Fallout fans

They say you got two kinds of Fallout fans, old ones that love the first two games and the new ones that never bothered to play them. Somewhere in between the first two games and later installments we have an ugly duckling of sorts that few remember fondly, Fallout Tactics.
The game never received critical reception and is only partly considered canon by current owners of the franchise, however, it still has a bit of a following because it offers something no other part of the series does - a game set in Fallout universe with emphasis on squad-based combat instead of exploration.

And that's exactly where it fell short, it was a combat-oriented game and the combat sucked, it was imbalanced as hell and the game was no less buggy overall. Fortunately, devs released an editor at some point, the community did the rest so we had some decent mods floating around over the years yet few of those tried to do extensive fixes to the official campaign.
A big step in that direction came with FT Redux mod by Endocore, a huge collection of bugfixes and improvements to most aspects of the game. Unfortunately, many players weren't happy with his balance changes either, as they somewhat circumvented the awkward item progression of the original game instead of fixing it.

And that's where yours truly comes in, no idea where or how I got the brilliant idea, but I've spent a load of my spare time over the years in smallish increments trying to actually make the damn thing presentable. So, the game got proper item progression, rebalance of weapons, ammo, armor and enemies, a truckload of new gear as well as nearly full replacement of equipment sprites and sounds.

I think this is the final evolution of the mod, if anything more gets added it surely won't be major.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux

So, if you had a hankering to play the game again for some reason, give the mod a spin and tell me your thoughts. And if you never played it and can handle the outdated graphics, you can get it on GOG for practically nothing if you wait for a sale. You don't even have to be familiar with the fallout universe to enjoy it as its connection to the rest of the franchise is tenuous at best and it's certainly worth a few dollars if you got any kind of love for turn based tactical games.

/shameless_advertising_off
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Oct 4, 2016, 11:03:27 AM
Last bumped on Oct 5, 2016, 6:09:54 AM
You know, when you told me about this I thought it was a mod of a standard Fallout game, not a turn-based tactical combat game. I've played my fair share of Heroes 3, Disciples 2 and Warhammer 40k - this is starting to look more interesting, I'll move it to a more prominent shelf where it might actually see the light of day sometime :)
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Oct 4, 2016, 10:19:07 AM
will definitely check it out. thanks Raics :)

truth be told, I did not know "Fallout Tactics" existed - but am somewhat a fan of turn-based tactical games (primarily, XCOM), and a huge fan of Fallout.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
This sounds awesome.

"I will supper on your groin"

sexy
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
My pleasure, it feels good to see people having fun with something you worked on. Kinda goes without saying for amateurs but I like to think there's still a lot of that feeling left in professional gaming industry too.

There's a highres patch in extras folder you get in Redux archive, don't forget to apply it if you're running widescreen resolutions. Interface will be too small in full HD and up but you can at least get the proper aspect ratio out of it.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Oct 4, 2016, 4:33:27 PM
Wow nice work! I might go back to that game, I kinda gave up on it, cool game though.

uhhhh that is ace! despite its negative reviews, I really enjoyed fallout tactics (just a sucker for turn based strategy in general), so deffo gonna have to give this a shot when I have more free time again

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info