[2.4] Walking Snowman, Tonight's forecast... a freeze is coming!

Ok so I had a lot of fun trying to make this build work (lots of trial and error but got there in the end), at its core you have a ~35% chance on being hit to be frozen for 2-3 seconds to help proc the effects of some interesting uniques in the game
Spoiler

To combat being frozen making the game less playable, we take the Marauder Juggernaut Ascendency: Unstoppable, which gives the effect of You cannot be slowed to below base speed essentially making freeze nothing to worry over.
The way this is all achieved was through using the effect of the Essence of Horror on a chest piece to take 15% of damage as cold damage
Spoiler

and convert that into a freeze using a
Spoiler

The belt and rings combine to around 150 ES so, with Auxium a freeze of 3 seconds can occur on a critical damaging hit of ~1200 damage to gain a max duration freeze and a hit of ~120 to cause the minimum 0.3 second freeze.
So in order to increase our up time on freeze we try to receive as many crits as we can and therefore abuse the unique gem in the passive tree. Reckless Defence.
Spoiler

I tried a bunch of stuff thinking it would work before I found the solution was that it required a critical hit to roll a freeze, I thought it would be possible to keep the freeze rolling with a CWDT minion setup using a Heartbound Loop and that a large enough amount of self harm when a minion dies would work, also tried using Ghudda's unique that reflects curses back on the caster to give myself temp chains and frostbite but the 3 second immunity to status ailments after suffering from one kinda kills it, really its the critical strikes that are required to keep this character frosty.

For damage I just went with reave and vaal reave, as they are quite a nice combo for the tree I went with (go the crit strike mara!)
Rest of gear
Spoiler

I'm currently only just starting mapping and just got the build functionaly working after finding a exalt and spending most of it on reckless defence gems, but am enjoying the hell out of it, I'm sitting at 3.2k life and while frozen am enjoying 800 life regen per second and 90% phys dmg reduction. I'm hoping some more levels will see this character prove out.

Current Passive tree

Plans for the rest of the tree? (moar life! otherwise I don't know)

Videos

Last edited by Wolflight on Oct 18, 2016, 6:51:41 PM
Last bumped on Apr 14, 2017, 7:15:20 AM
Just found the Youtube video, this is awesome.
IGN - Peonsius
my characters/739743 - standard shop/511367
Could this work with any build using the new Kaoms Roots? http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Kaom%27s_Roots

You only get rooted in place right?

Props, Amazing build idea.
Last edited by zorker on Mar 9, 2017, 9:47:25 AM
Yes, Koam's roots would let you get around the requirement of making a juggernaut, and then maybe you might be able to make a character with some kind of an idea as to what dps is, although with all the uniques this guy rolled, you might have some issues with resists. Would also have been great to have a taste of hate flask for the extra dmg as cold, but I could not afford it. This guy got relegated to standard so I may go check him out again and try to do a respec on the next big patch that resets character trees and try to add the boots into the mix. Thanks for checking out my derpy build lol.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info