Developer Interview - Andrew - Sound Engineer

Thanks for the interview! I definitely can appreciate the quality of sound in this game. Sometimes the music feels like something from Final Fantasy. Tolman's scream is horrifying. It actually feels creepy in certain areas. Great job!

The audio has weird effects on me sometimes too. I'll think I hear a faint repetitive doorbell (happens in Dried Lake with the sound pretty quiet), or a child crying, or birds outside my window. Just a weird observation.

As someone else suggested, I'd like more item filter sound options. More alert sounds is good, but having access to some of the standard drop sounds would be awesome.

Keep up the good work. Take care.
Congratulations, Andrew, for working on game with player base which has from like 70% disabled music and sounds except the loot filter.

I represent only myself, my own thought and believes. I am individual, not a representative of the community.
I am not speaking on behalf of someone else and I don't get offended by things that have nothing to do with me.

3.13 was the golden age.
Just wanted to leave a note - this game has some of the best sound effects/voice work. I really enjoy it!
I appreciate these, I just wish we could have video interviews.
#NeverGoing90
"
Marxone wrote:
Congratulations, Andrew, for working on game with player base which has from like 70% disabled music and sounds except the loot filter.

Well if you see yourself as 70% this might be true. How on earth can you know how people play? Can you be a little more respectful and stop making up random statistical arguments? Some people.
bruh more we need bigger packs of the antz they sound dope when we kill em in big packs
keep up the good shit
Thanks alot, man, u r doing realy good job.
I could set PoE-music pack in the one line with Diablo 2 and HoMM 3.
I guess, nothing more to add here.
Excellent work Andrew.

Especially:

Music - I can tell you've been influenced by D2, and perhaps by FO2 as well? Some of the tunes recall the music of those games, and that is a good thing from where I stand.

Ambient Sound - It does a great job of drawing in the player and creating the atmosphere, and has only gotten better (with a few necessary tweaks here and there, which you have done) in the past few months.

Now for some negative criticism:

The sound effects create an extremely bad experience for summoner builds while in their hideouts, especially necromancers who use zombies or certain spectres. I personally avoid certain popular spectres for this reason alone (that should tell you how bad it is), but I cannot avoid zombies as a summoner.

I know of many other summoner players who kill the sound effects outright in order to solve this, which is also unfortunate. I don't like that workaround, because there are other sound effects I don't want to lose.

Please consider creating a separate volume slider for summoned creatures. Or if that's too much work, just cut all summoned creature sound effects by 75%

Either measure would solve the entire problem.
Wash your hands, Exile!
so a question fro the sound designerman: exactly how much work went into the butthole doors' sound effects?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info