Developer Interview - Andrew - Sound Engineer

sound in this game really got amazing.

that i bought some dt880 after the plastic tritton surround shit i spent over 100€ on just broke after a year++ made it even better!
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
"
Bourrinopathe wrote:
"
I'd like to know how come 5 years passed and there's still no sound for looting and putting flasks in the inventory? Kappa.

^this
iirc there was a thread somewhere in the forum about that issue and at the time it was related to a technical issue with the (sound?) engine. Surprisingly hard to fix.
I thought it would have been fixed with the new Fmod engine/middleware. It may be somewhere on the "to-do-list".

I was also wondering if we'll ever have different footstep sound effects depending on the floor/ground surface?

Anyway. The sound in the game is really enjoyable and it's a pleasure to discover the improvements over time (that distant blast sound effect when Discharge was very popular, etc.).

Great work !

I believe the flask thing (remembering an old dev quote, possibly incorrectly) is because items cannot change states when equipped to a character so when flasks gain charges they are actually being unequipped, given the charge, and re-equipped really fastly and if there was a sound effect for flasks players would here this all the time. Whether or not it is something they can address now with the new sound engine I do not know, but it would be cool to have some FX for them dropping or being moved around your inventory.
Thanks for the clarification weezamon. That kind of item mechanics would explain why it's difficult to attach a pickup sound.
The sfx would also be helpful in "race mode" or "competitive play" while in party with a bunch of nasty fellow exiles.
IGN: Bourrinopathe | UTC +4
BEST SOUND IN GAME:

tortured scream when you enter crematorium
Life will be technically better Soon TM
I dont find this interview particularly interesting, it feels like ggg marketing department need to make some post, so they grab sound engineer and come up with filler text. None of those "questions" can be quoted in any discussion about poe sound, they doesn't bring any new info, at all, just filler text.
One of the things that I've long loved about PoE is the fantastic sound design. From great ambient sounds and great music to especially phenomenal skill and damage effects. They're why I prefer crit-based builds, as the sound is so satisfying. And why I'm so very tempted to try to make Abyssal Cry work.

I'd love to hear more in-depth from you if you're ever willing, and keep up the really amazing work!
Honestly, I'm using Shield Charge with a Dagger and Lightning Damage, and I can say that the impact sound effect is the most SATISFYING thing ever! Feels so good when I hit a mob... :O
IGN: Golem_Antsy, Harvest
Never been a big sound/art/lore guy. Most of it is lost on on me, but the Acton's Nightmare music really caught me off guard. It stands out (in a really good way) - great work!
Former player moderator, valued poster, and early-adopter responsible for The Blood Dance.

GGG has forgotten where they came from. As a result, I no longer support the deceitful, corporate Tencent slave sellouts running this game.
Awesome !

When I play the game with a headphone, I really enjoy the improvement in sound quality the game has gone through. I love how particular sound effects sound different depending what area you are in. Keep up the great work, can't wait for what's yet to come !
Last edited by leto2626 on Oct 4, 2016, 5:11:57 PM
"
waskely wrote:
BEST SOUND IN GAME:

tortured scream when you enter crematorium

Ow yeah, we all have heard Tolman die so many times, yet we enjoy it ...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info