One Last Try: "Path of Immersion" Path of Exile and D&D (Looking for Input!)

"
a max block Acrobatics build could avoid all but 15% of attacks and all but 17.5% of spells. Someone in real life cannot ever possibly move that fast

Have you ever seen a really good boxer in the ring?
I can imagine a professional soldier who eats breaths lives and dies by the sword being even more skilled with a big ass shield ( which offers considerably more protection than ones forearms).
I dont think this particular aspect is unrealistic at all.
But if we really wanted to get realistic, i wouldnt even attempt to fight a more experienced fighter on their terms. I would innovate every dirty trick in the book, from throwing things to spitting in their eyes. Things that are far beyond the limitations of current programming tech to allow for.

As for roleplaying: i despise it. My imagination is far more impressive than the limitations imposed by any rules, so if im not allowed to use my imagination then i will focus on min/maxxing the fuck of the rules provided. And if you complain about my min/maxxing, then i guess it was all just my fault for subjugating myself under another. So fuck it all. Im better off alone without limitations.
For years i searched for deep truths. A thousand revelations. At the very edge...the ability to think itself dissolves away.Thinking in human language is the problem. Any separation from 'the whole truth' is incomplete.My incomplete concepts may add to your 'whole truth', accept it or think about it
"
SkyCore wrote:
"
a max block Acrobatics build could avoid all but 15% of attacks and all but 17.5% of spells. Someone in real life cannot ever possibly move that fast

Have you ever seen a really good boxer in the ring?
I can imagine a professional soldier who eats breaths lives and dies by the sword being even more skilled with a big ass shield ( which offers considerably more protection than ones forearms).
I dont think this particular aspect is unrealistic at all.
But if we really wanted to get realistic, i wouldnt even attempt to fight a more experienced fighter on their terms. I would innovate every dirty trick in the book, from throwing things to spitting in their eyes. Things that are far beyond the limitations of current programming tech to allow for.

Can you at least try to take everything in it's context?

Nobody in real life, or fantasy holding onto at least some semblance of realism, can dodge 85% of like 20 arrows coming at them from only 10-20 feet away. No. Nobody can.

Can someone dodge a sequence of five attacks in a timespan of one second? Hell yes. If it's from a smaller group of enemies, and it's something they specialize in.

"
SkyCore wrote:
As for roleplaying: i despise it. My imagination is far more impressive than the limitations imposed by any rules, so if im not allowed to use my imagination then i will focus on min/maxxing the fuck of the rules provided. And if you complain about my min/maxxing, then i guess it was all just my fault for subjugating myself under another. So fuck it all. Im better off alone without limitations.

...and...what?

"
SkyCore wrote:
As for roleplaying: i despise it. My imagination is far more impressive than the limitations imposed by any rules...

Do you even know what roleplaying is? It's about taking something and doing what you want with it. You aren't limited to pixels on a screen, or only specific things you can do because an item only has so many sockets. All that determines whether it'll be a good or bad game are the people in the group.

Roleplaying is all about creativity. I'd be willing to bet quite a bit that you've never had a good DM/GM and/or group and that's why you despise it.

Assuming they'd be into it, people like Scrotie, adghar, viperesque, Vipermagi, raics, and the other great people on these forums would be great for this game because of how creative and involved they can get. They know their stuff.

Edit:

They won't just say "I want to be a fighter", they'll try to come up with some stuff for their character to make it a true character, not just some generic NPC that doesn't need to respawn.
Last edited by Natharias on Oct 3, 2016, 12:27:14 AM
Do you have a system in mind for this PoE tabletop RPG? I'm not sure I'll participate but I'm interested in what you are planning to use as a basis or skeleton for PoI. Is it D&D 5e? Are there mechanics that aren't supported in PoE but are supported in traditional tabletop rpgs (such as the holy 6 attributes, social skills or a skill system at all, etc)? And I guess what is the intention of using PoE as a basis for DnD? Is it to try and capture PoE's deep customization and mechanics in a tabletop rpg or is there a large driving force about exploring the lore? (Guessing the former based on your original post).

Note if you don't have luck on these forums, Google Plus has quite the tabletop rpg community. Good luck!
"
AfroComrade wrote:
Do you have a system in mind for this PoE tabletop RPG? I'm not sure I'll participate but I'm interested in what you are planning to use as a basis or skeleton for PoI. Is it D&D 5e? Are there mechanics that aren't supported in PoE but are supported in traditional tabletop rpgs (such as the holy 6 attributes, social skills or a skill system at all, etc)? And I guess what is the intention of using PoE as a basis for DnD? Is it to try and capture PoE's deep customization and mechanics in a tabletop rpg or is there a large driving force about exploring the lore? (Guessing the former based on your original post).

Note if you don't have luck on these forums, Google Plus has quite the tabletop rpg community. Good luck!

I'm also well aware of Roll20, but given the specificity of Path of Exile I wanted to advertise it here, not on a generic forum.

Also due to the heavy basis of PoE, it will use a system highly tailored to it. It'll have to be unique. So while there won't be a skill system per se, there will be skills involved. For instance, a Marauder likely won't have a lockpick skill, but a Shadow is guaranteed to have it. A Ranger will naturally know how to use traps and mines, but a Templar will have to work to figure them out. A Marauder will be able to inherently summon a totem (much like Diablo 1 class skills) but everyone else will have to do something to obtain a totem.

As for attributes, I'm not entirely sure how I want to do it. It'll likely revolve around some 7-9 attributes, with at least 2 for strength/vitality, 2 for dexterity/perception, 2 for intelligence/wisdom, and things like Charisma.

As for the reason of basis this on PoE, why not? PoE has a nice world, it has a unique flavor, and it has plenty of ideas that could work well in a turn-based ARPG. It'll be tediously annoying to calculate 8 zombies and 18 skeletons with 20 raging spirits, so obviously minion builds won't have huge numbers unless that's the one thing they specialize in. Unlocking more builds and diversity, as it were.
Have you considered using a MUD as a platform? I have experience programming and designing mmorpgs. Or am i on your shit list?
For years i searched for deep truths. A thousand revelations. At the very edge...the ability to think itself dissolves away.Thinking in human language is the problem. Any separation from 'the whole truth' is incomplete.My incomplete concepts may add to your 'whole truth', accept it or think about it
"
SkyCore wrote:
Have you considered using a MUD as a platform? I have experience programming and designing mmorpgs. Or am i on your shit list?

I have no true shit list. I'm not the type to actually /ignore, because you never know what that person might say. And sometimes it is best to engage them in chat if it warrants it. It's one of the many reasons I stand up for myself, and occasionally others, rather than leave it unsaid and/or rely on GGG to moderate. I care nothing for the probations I've gotten.

But no, I don't have any grudge against you. I cannot think up something bad from the past with your name specifically tied to it, but I do know we've engaged in arguments in the true sense of the word, not just debate.

I don't have any personal experience with MUD, though I'm aware of what it is and at least some of what it is capable of. I haven't done much research as I've never had a group dedicated enough that it warranted it, at least not online. It's worth a try if a group can be found and someone can get it running to match the content we'll be using.
Would GGG sick their lawyers on me if i created a free path of exile MUD?
The concept sounds very interesting!
S L O W E R
"
SkyCore wrote:
Would GGG sick their lawyers on me if i created a free path of exile MUD?

I certainly hope they wouldn't.

I foresee the following:

In the best case scenario, this takes off quickly and GGG would like to incorporate it into their company in some way. Even if it is a purely non-profit, "after-hours" type thing. A lot of people watch and want to participate, and I end up having to help out some up-and-coming Dungeon Masters in this new game.

Next would be sort of a middle ground. GGG does nothing or very little, and nothing that adversely affects or benefits this. A few people join in and we have fun.

Finally, and worst, GGG thinks we're trying to make a profit off their stuff and/or just takes legal action anyways. I highly doubt this will happen, but you never know. GGG can't really just say "we will" or "we won't", because it depends highly on what happens, what we make of the D&D/POE, and how we go about it.

Either way, it's important for everyone to note that this is based on Path of Exile. There's absolutely no way you can just get away without giving credit where credit is due. I'm going to be making constant references to the game itself, the wiki (which is all about POE), and other sources that are at least somewhat obviously referencing poe. This is like taking

Honestly, I'm sure at least one GGG member may take a liking to this; their players and customers taking a liking to their game and spending even more time in it. Heck, we might come up with some lore or mechanics they may incorporate into their game. You never know. While most mechanics differ between D&D and a video game, that doesn't mean magical item ideas won't work or be worthwhile.

"
ampdecay wrote:
The concept sounds very interesting!

Please let me know if you'd like to participate in any way. Be it as a player, working on ideas for mechanics and changing items, and more.

Edit:

Updated the first and second posts of this thread. Please note the OP will now be used for important updates.
Last edited by Natharias on Oct 4, 2016, 1:34:52 AM
Since the only similar game I ever played was pathfinder I am kinda intrigued but also terrified. Implementing the unique mechanics if PoE into a tabletop game is a monstrous task. Learning to play it would also take a lot of time. On the other hand I would love to roleplay my way through wraeclast. Guess ill observe where this is going and hop on board once it actually takes off

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info