One Last Try: "Path of Immersion" Path of Exile and D&D (Looking for Input!)

This post is now reserved for updates.

Want to participate?
Post in here and tell me what you'd like to do. If you want to be a player, help work out the mechanics of the game, ideas for the unique items, or just basic lore.

Even if you don't want to enter as a player now, are you willing to give input?
I'm just one person trying to iron out every possible detail for this game. Please leave a post about something, even if it is just a "I think this skill would be nice if..." type post. I'm up for any input, in any amount of detail. You may come up with an idea better than one someone else has come up with. Please post it!

Looking for dedicated help with...

Lore. Specifically a small group of people who are willing to get together and sort all possible lore. One person can easily miss something; I want a group of people who can cover each other and remind each other of things. More specifically, I would like to play often with these people through the game, and not just playing, but sticking together and going over EVERYTHING. I plan for content to take many, many times longer than it would normally take us. We will have to make brand new characters because some dialogue does not repeat, and I don't want to rely on the wiki alone for all information. Some information can be outdated, if only due to rewording or a more major difference.

Additionally, I am looking for these people to provide help here and there with other bits of the rules in this game. Should Immortal Call make you immortal temporarily, or only immune to physical damage? Should Viper Strike go back to the scalable damage based on gem level, or should it remain based on weapon damage? Should auras be based on whether you have the room to reserve them, or should they be limited like curses? What about curses?

Keep things as based on lore as possible, while making sacrifices here and there to enhance the roleplay and gameplay.

Looking for general help with...

Someone to double check an A-Z list of all active skill gems.

Someone to double check an A-Z list of all support skill gems.

Someone to double check an A-Z list of all unique items.

Someone to double check an A-Z list of all base items and their "tiers". For instance, Cabalist Regalia, Destroyer Regalia, and Vaal Regalia. This includes weapons, armor, jewelry, and more.

Added classes and ascendancies.
Last edited by Natharias on Oct 14, 2016, 1:18:22 AM
Last bumped on Oct 28, 2016, 10:18:07 PM
If some people find this interesting and want to play a game, great.

If not, well, hopefully you'll have a good read.

My mind wanders and I almost always multitask while on the computer. I have a few things going on at all times, even when I'm stuck to one screen. Even when I'm in a game, I'm thinking about other video games, videos, animes, and much more. I don't have an issue focusing, I just naturally mix and match many things. I wouldn't do too well as a fighter or thief because I wouldn't have enough to do. Give me a mage with a complex casting system, like the one you can find in Arx Fatalis. I'll figure everything out, and in a timely manner.

Path of Exile is a video game based on numbers and mechanics. Everything is real time and there is a certain rule set that cannot be changed. For example, melee naturally has a much smaller area which it can affect, while spells naturally come with some kind of area of effect capability. Shotgunning was removed because it was the go-to and it was more painful on melee than it was on characters that maintain a range.

Now, don't go assuming stuff. I'm not saying "melee is weak" or "bring back shotgunning". I'm just stating facts about Path of Exile to lead you up to this roleplay I've been working on in the hopes some may wish to play.

The problem with this kind of game is you lose out on some of the more appealing aspects of some ARPGs. However, you gain some others you cannot normally enjoy. For instance, a max block Acrobatics build could avoid all but 15% of attacks and all but 17.5% of spells. Someone in real life cannot ever possibly move that fast, and if you had magical equipment to do it in a fantasy world, it would be hideously expensive. Yet it was a very cheap and effective option in Path of Exile's early life that many abused and many more enjoyed.

Path of Exile has a faster paced gameplay centered around repetition and constant battle with the same enemies. Quite literally, a grinding game. One might say it is one of the best "literal grinding games" once everything is considered. Gambling for crafting, no guaranteed or biased drops, and content becomes harder in order to improve drops (map mods, namely).

In fact, Path of Exile is about as far opposite of D&D as one could get. It's all about making a character, form a build, level it, grind some, then make another build. You blow through content over and over, doing the same stuff again and again. Maybe you'll get that drop. Maybe not. Loot and items are based on balance for the game's longevity.

I'm offering you an immersion balanced around entertainment. Or, rather, an attempt. I haven't worked long and hard on the world nor the mechanics of the skills; quite a few things will be different in some way, shape, or form, and much more will be considerably different. For instance, there will only ever be one Shavronne's Wrappings, only ever one Kaom's Heart, only ever one Fairgrave's Tricorne, and so on. Uniques will be balanced around themselves.

Immortal Call won't be immunity to physical damage for 0.1 seconds with 999% increased duration per endurance charge. No, it'll prevent you from dying for a short period of time (1-2 turns, maybe) but won't prevent or mitigate damage. Think Vaal Immortal Call without the requirement of souls. More appropriate for the name, don't you think?

Let's say you come across a locked door. Sure would be nice if I had Veruso's Battering Rams. Or maybe Asenath's Gentle Touch for picking the lock. How about an Alpha's Howl for warcries? Your Hierophant may have more totems, but my Chieftain's totems are more badass.

While not necessarily how it may be, since much and more needs to be ironed out, but just so you get the gist of how different it will be.

If you would like to be involved in any aspect, please let me know. I'll be reserving the first page of this thread just in the very small chance it takes off. Again, if not, hope you'll have a good read.
Last edited by Natharias on Oct 4, 2016, 1:32:31 AM
Mechanics and Explanations

Most Prominent Rules

Just like in the game, I want you to understand that how things are worded is very important. Basically how it states it is how it works. If you find an item that simply says "Adds 12-25 fire damage", it adds damage to everything. If it states "Adds 12-25 fire damage to melee attacks", it only adds the damage to melee attacks.

Don't make assumptions. Here are a few examples to get you up to speed:
• Curse on Hit works with direct application, but does not work with minions, totems, traps, or mines. In this game, Curse on Hit will allow whatever it is supporting to apply any socketed curses. For instance, let's say you use a Flame Totem with Enfeeble on Curse on Hit. Whenever you summon this Flame Totem and it hits an enemy, it will apply the exact Enfeeble curse you used in the setup.

Editing...

Damage Conversion (both as damage you take and damage you deal)

Damage can be converted into any other type of damage. However, the supposed infinite loop is avoided by observing a sequence of importance. Something lower in the chain of conversion will not override a previous conversion.

For instance, two gems that convert from fire to cold and cold to fire will simply negate each other; no conversion takes place. However, a wand that converts some fire damage into lightning damage will override a support gem that converts lightning into fire.

Generally, the first thing that will be checked is something inherent to your character. For instance, assume a Chieftain has "25% of all damage is converted to fire" will override most other damage conversions and will take place first.

Next would be gear, then gems, then other things.

As per normal, you cannot exceed 100% conversion. Any amount higher than 100% will be evenly divided between applicable conversions. For instance, if you convert 50% of fire into cold and 50% of fire into lightning, it's exactly 50/50. If you have 60% fire into cold and 50% fire into lightning, it will end up being 55% cold and 45% lightning.

Last edited by Natharias on Oct 18, 2016, 9:58:29 PM
This post reserved for lore.
Last edited by Natharias on Oct 6, 2016, 1:05:58 PM
Classes and Ascendancies:

Currently unavailable.
Last edited by Natharias on Oct 18, 2016, 8:54:43 PM
The Passive Skill Tree, Jewels, and Progression in every other way.

Your Passive Skill Tree

The passive skill tree is now your attributes, skills, and knowledge. All of these change passively, though there are more immediate methods to alter them.

Your Attributes
Your attributes define the basis of your character. You will start with a certain amount of points which you may distribute between all of your attributes as you desire, within the limits of your class. For instance, a Marauder may pump his strength up, but a Witch may not. However, a Witch may choose to have a higher strength than another Witch because she will engage in more melee combat than her sister.

As of right now, I'm foreseeing the following attributes:

Strength
Vitality
Dexterity
Perception
Intelligence
Wisdom
Spirit (aka willpower)
Charisma
Luck

Strength and Vitality comprise the Marauder's aspects of attributes. Dexterity and Perception the Duelist and Ranger. Intelligence and Wisdom the Witch and Templar. Spirit and Charisma the Scion. Luck is the choice all may take or avoid however they wish.

Strength determines what you can lift and how long.

Vitality determines your life and resilience to damage overall. It also determines your natural resistance to poisons and chaos damage.

Dexterity determines your mobility and accuracy.

Perception determines some of your critical strike chance, accuracy, and determines your senses overall.

Intelligence determines what spells you can use, how well you can use them, and some of your mana reserves.

Wisdom affects how much experience you gain and determines some of your mana reserves.

Spirit determines your overall willpower and drive and your mana regeneration rate.

Charisma defines the general personality of your character. How attractive you are, how well you speak, etc.

Luck is luck. Higher luck means better loots. Lower luck means you'll get shat on by RNG. Oh, wait, roleplay > RNG. Keep that in mind. This is not your go-to stat.

Your Skills
These depict your progression with specific actions. These include, but are not limited to: weapons, combat, armor (gear), magic, cold spells, curses, etc.

*** End PST Spoiler ***

Skill Gems and Support Gems

*** End Gems Spoiler ***

Jewels

*** End Jewels Spoiler ***

Spoiler

*** End ? Spoiler ***

Last edited by Natharias on Oct 18, 2016, 9:02:16 PM
Reserved.
Reserved.
Categories updated only.

Keep in mind all listed uniques are the only ones I have ideas for, or ideas I think might be worthwhile. It does not mean an item won't be used.

Unique Amulets

Bloodgrip

You no longer bleed; your blood remains inside your body. Everything involving life is more effective (maximum life, regeneration, etc.)?

Hinekora's Sight

You gain foresight. You can see despite the condition of your eyes and magical modifiers.

Shaper's Seed

Greatly enhances all regeneration and reduces the effects of regeneration limiting effects.

Sidhebreath

"The breath of life is yours to give."
You can resurrect a recently fallen person. Raising undead is less costly.

The Anvil

Your items cannot break and their durability does not decrease?

Warped Timepiece

Sister amulet to Timeclasp.
Once in a while, you may alter time so that you may take another turn.

Unique Belts

Umbilicus Immortalis

You and your creations are forever bound together; the fate of each affecting that of the others. As your minions fall, you weaken. But as their numbers increase and they gain strength, so do you.

Headhunter

?

Rings

Andvarius

"Danger is the price of wealth."
?

Doedre's Damning

Increases the effectiveness of curses.

Emberwake

"Leave the world in flames behind you."
Sister ring to Pyre.
Fire damage you deal is far more likely to cause fire, and fires caused by your fire damage is harder to put out.

Essence Worm

""This thing is not a pet. It is a parasite that feeds on the very will of its host. Like any part of nightmare, it has found a way to make its price... acceptable."
?

Lori's Lantern

Many things that act against you are rolled again in your favor.

Perandus Signet

Increases experience gain.

Pyre

"Let winter come. It will only make my fire burn brighter."
Sister ring of Emberwake.
Increases fire damage you deal.

Rigwald's Crest

"Within the heart of every man and woman lies the soul of a ferocious beast. If you cannot tame it, embrace it."
You may assume the form of a werewolf.

Thief's Torment

"The ring I stole,
My finger they took,
A shrouded mind,
Cut their curses short,
As I drained their spirit
And stole their soul.
A blessing is often a curse."

You cannot use other rings while wearing this one.
?

Timeclasp

Sister ring to Warped Timepiece.
?

Quivers

Craghead

"Hit them hard. Hit them once."
Arrows from this quiver roll damage with advantage.

Drillneck

"Why waste such a fine arrow on just one man?"
Arrows from this quiver are more likely to pierce.

Rearguard

"It's a rare man that has eyes in the back of his head."
?

Skirmish

Enhances your ability to use bows in close range without penalty to your attack roll.

Body Armors

Kaom's Heart

"The warrior who fears will fall."
Doubles your life force.

Solaris Lorica

"Give me neither havens nor solace;
They are for the weak and frightened.
Instead, light the path to greatness,
So that I may begin my bright pursuit."

?

Brass Dome

"The turtle's shell one day becomes its tomb."
Doubles your armor rating.

Foxshade

"To catch an animal, think like an animal."
?

Cloak of Flame

"He who sows an ember shall reap an inferno."
This armor may become literal flame, causing damage to those around you. Increases fire damage you deal.

Shavronne's Wrappings

All damage is taken to energy shield prior to life. Enables the use of Mind Over Matter with energy shield.

The Covenant

"My soul is your strength. My price is your blood."
You have blood magic.

Geofri's Sanctuary

"Faith does not make us invulnerable. It makes us immortal."
You are immune to curses.

Boots

Seven-League Step

"Death can be outrun with these, but beware! In running from death, you may forget to live."
Greatly enhances your movement speed. Now and then you may make a full movement on any turn, interrupting an action.

Bones of Ullr

"The dead man walks where the living fear to tread."
Allows you to open a portal at will?

Steppan Eard

"To fight an enemy on their lands is a tactical mistake. Make those lands your own, and the mistake becomes theirs."
Ground effects that would normally harm you instead benefit you. If they cannot benefit you, they are negated entirely.

Gloves

Facebreaker

These gloves fit nicely on any pair of hands. However, weapons don't seem to feel comfortable to even the most experienced of warriors.

Helmets

Alpha's Howl

You may assume the form of a great beast.
Grants a unique warcry.
Increases the range of warcries.
?

Heretic's Veil

Increases the effect of curses.
Blasphemies are less costly.
Enemies suffer a penalty when attacking or attempting to affect you for each one of your curses active on them.

Shields

Crest of Perandus

"With piety and justice."
?

Kaltenhalt

"Cold, miserable, and alone... but alive."
Some of all damage you take is taken as cold damage.
You take less cold damage.
You cannot be chilled or frozen.

Kongming's Stratagem

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.
Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.
Thus the wise win before they fight,
while the ignorant fight to win."
Blocking now acts as dodging/evading; you do not take damage on a successful block.

Rise of the Phoenix

Some of all damage you take is taken as fire damage.
You take less fire damage.
You cannot burn.

Victario's Charity

"A man's life is the greatest gift he can give."
?

Axes

Atziri's Disfavor

"I do not believe in disguising my disappointment."
?

Bows

Claws

Daggers