PC servers are restarting in:
They should be back up in approximately .
Xbox servers are restarting in:
Sony servers are restarting in:

Contagion - Trap or Spell Totem

Hello,

I'm screwing around with Viper Strike and thought since I'm taking all of these chaos damage nodes I might as will use contagion. Would it be best to trap it or totem it?

Thanks,

PS I don't want to hear how sub-optimal VS is :)
Last bumped on Sep 30, 2016, 1:50:13 PM
First of all, Contagion isn't really a DPS Spell. It's a catalyst for spreading Essence Drain first and foremost. Regardless:

Contagion does not stack, which makes Trap easily superior to Totem. However, with the plethora of available Supports, you could also just hardcast it; Rapid Decay, Void Manipulation, Controlled Destruction for a 4L.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Sep 29, 2016, 9:12:45 PM
That was helpful, thanks.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
First of all, Contagion isn't really a DPS Spell. It's a catalyst for spreading Essence Drain first and foremost. Regardless:

Contagion does not stack, which makes Trap easily superior to Totem. However, with the plethora of available Supports, you could also just hardcast it; Rapid Decay, Void Manipulation, Controlled Destruction for a 4L.

A better generic 4L would involve Faster Casting, Increased Area of Effect, and Controlled Destruction. Non-unique enemies will be torn apart from Essence Drain very quickly. You should focus on spreading as quickly as you can, for both leech and damage application.

Against bosses, or resistant enemies, Concentrated Effect, Controlled Destruction, then Void Manipulation (to avoid the reduced duration) would be my choice.
I'm just using it as another damage over time. Think of it as Viper Strike support adding chaos damage.

Not saying this is a good idea, just something I'm trying to see how it works :)
"
slice99 wrote:
I'm just using it as another damage over time. Think of it as Viper Strike support adding chaos damage.

No offense, but this is a little bit like saying

"I'm just using [this bicycle] as another movement over roads. Think of it as Ferrari adding travel speed."

:)
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
"
Natharias wrote:
A better generic 4L would involve Faster Casting, Increased Area of Effect, and Controlled Destruction. Non-unique enemies will be torn apart from Essence Drain very quickly. You should focus on spreading as quickly as you can, for both leech and damage application.

For an actual ED/Contagion build, one shouldn't care for Damage multipliers on Contagion at all :P Just slap Item Rarity on it instead - it'll be the first-applied DoT against almost the entire Map, works quite well.

This thread isn't about ED though. Context. :)
"
adghar wrote:
"
slice99 wrote:

No offense, but this is a little bit like saying

"I'm just using [this bicycle] as another movement over roads. Think of it as Ferrari adding travel speed."

:)

More like asking about the proper gripping position of a spoon used to dig a pool. And someone suggests a shovel instead.
No offense, but using the proper tool for the job is fairly basic. Suggesting otherwise is not really helping anyone.
For years i searched for deep truths. A thousand revelations. At the very edge...the ability to think itself dissolves away.Thinking in human language is the problem. Any separation from 'the whole truth' is incomplete.My incomplete concepts may add to your 'whole truth', accept it or think about it
Playing Viper Strike, you are probably better off putting Wither on a spell totem. Wither makes affected enemies take a lot more chaos damage, and also slows them. This will greatly improve your DoT.
U MAD?
"
Vipermagi wrote:
"
Natharias wrote:

For an actual ED/Contagion build, one shouldn't care for Damage multipliers on Contagion at all :P Just slap Item Rarity on it instead - it'll be the first-applied DoT against almost the entire Map, works quite well.

This thread isn't about ED though. Context. :)

It was going a little off topic.

But either way, as someone just above me mentioned, Wither would be better.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info