(Pf) Every Cauchy sequence is bounded

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recall: a sequence (a_n) is Cauchy iff for all E>0, exists a natural number N such that, for all natural numbers n,m >= N, |a_n - a_m| < E. Prove every Cauchy sequence is bounded.

(Recall: Let (a_n) be a sequence converging to A. We say (a_n) is bounded iff for all E>0, exists a natural number N such that, for all n >= N, |a_n - A| < E.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pf)

Let {a_n} be an unbounded set.
... Then for all k, exist n_k such that |a_n_k| > k.

Then {a_n_k} is an unbounded set.

As such, for all N, exists a_n_k and exists a_n_l such that
... |a_n_k - a_n_l| > |a_n_k| - |a_n_l| = k - l > N.

Thus {a_n} is not Cauchy.
... We have {a_n} unbounded => {a_n} not Cauchy.

The contrapositive gives us {a_n} not Cauchy => {a_n} not bounded.
Hence we conclude every Cauchy sequence is bounded. []

- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0- 0 * - <
<739610877-3104-376.101077-1106.75103739110792103.108-5'92.9410776.>
- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0- 0 * - <
Last edited by bwam on Sep 29, 2016, 3:36:25 PM
Last bumped on Sep 29, 2016, 9:30:52 PM
"
bwam wrote:

Recall: a sequence (a_n) is Cauchy iff for all E>0, exists a natural number N such that, for all natural numbers n,m >= N, |a_n - a_m| < E. Prove every Cauchy sequence is bounded.

(Recall: Let (a_n) be a sequence converging to A. We say (a_n) is bounded iff for all E>0, exists a natural number N such that, for all n >= N, |a_n - A| < E.)

Pf)

... Then for all k, exist n_k such that |a_n_k| > k.

Then {a_n_k} is an unbounded set.

As such, for all N, exists a_n_k and exists a_n_l such that
... |a_n_k - a_n_l| > |a_n_k| - |a_n_l| = k - l > N.

Thus {a_n} is not Cauchy.
... We have {a_n} unbounded => {a_n} not Cauchy.

The contrapositive gives us {a_n} not Cauchy => {a_n} not bounded.
Hence we conclude every Cauchy sequence is bounded. []

An practical illustration of this:

E>0 is the Energy necessary to achive escape velocity
A-N unbounded is the number of potential cable channels.

No matter how many cable channels the cauchy potato flips through, he will never have the energy necessary to escape the gravity well of the cauchy cushions. Thus every sequence of channel flipping is bounded

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
Last edited by DalaiLama on Sep 29, 2016, 6:47:25 PM
how about if you have less than 100% avoidance you are bound to get hit. The game you play makes 100% avoidance impossible and EHP has a finite start point. If you play long enough, and the incoming damage is unbounded growth while you play you will eventually die from a hit. A character that 'can not die' in that game relies on boundaries of some sort to incoming damage.

(I don't really understand the proof, except that maybe

... Then for all k, exist n_k such that |a_n_k| > k

means k isn't > 0)
Hey...is this thing on?
"
LostForm wrote:
how about if you have less than 100% avoidance you are bound to get hit. The game you play makes 100% avoidance impossible and EHP has a finite start point. If you play long enough, and the incoming damage is unbounded growth while you play you will eventually die from a hit. A character that 'can not die' in that game relies on boundaries of some sort to incoming damage.

(I don't really understand the proof, except that maybe

... Then for all k, exist n_k such that |a_n_k| > k

means k isn't > 0)

I think subscripts are understood to be in the positive integer range unless otherwise specified. But anyway, asume that to do the proof. The proof shows than an unbounded sequence cannot be Cauchy (so it would be using reductio ad absurdum) by using the triangle inequality and that inequality for unboundedness. It's pretty much a straightforward proof once you have that in mind.
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
Last edited by NeroNoah on Sep 29, 2016, 8:30:58 PM
Maybe I am misunderstanding the underscores.

a_n_k is not symbolizing a sequence from a to n to k?

and | | absolute value of the numbers in the sequence containing k are all greater than k?
Hey...is this thing on?
n_k is a subscript, poor notation.
Last edited by NeroNoah on Sep 29, 2016, 8:59:54 PM
ok, thanks that is different and wasted effort on my part xD

I don't math in forums much, I pseudo everything anyways, which just wrecks my reading of formal math
Hey...is this thing on?
in my opinion, math is best done in illustrations.
if you can draw it - you can prove it.

indexes and notations come naturally, when you got some dots scattered on a board or piece of paper, and some arrows-only-you-can-undetstand between them, accompanied by horrible handwriting :)
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
Last edited by johnKeys on Sep 29, 2016, 9:32:27 PM
Ehhh...it depends on every person. I'm more of a symbolic creature. Some branches like topology resist visual interpretations sometimes.
Last edited by NeroNoah on Sep 29, 2016, 9:31:42 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info