Does GGG see us as Gamers or Gambling Addicts?

¿Por qué no los dos?
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
I'm mapping way further than I have before in atlas. In that regard maybe they are listening? My guess is they try and strike a balance between the reward aspect and the addiction/grind aspect. Bear in mind they need to cater to 1 hour a week players all the way through to streamers who pursue phds in genetics to be able to clone themselves to play more hours/week.
"
Char1983 wrote:
Content starvation sucks, to be honest. It has made me quit before and is the main reason that actually keeps me from re-rolling. What would I build a new build for? Trying Uber? Too expensive / RNG gated / will only do if I know I can succeed. Trying Shaper? Too expensive / RNG gated / will only try if I know I can succeed. T11 maps? Are boring for any decent kind of build. So yeah, unless you like the leveling experience, which is kind of neat specifically in Essence or Perandus, I don't quite know what I would build a new character for.
Leveling a new character in a new league is fun.

I like to try something I newer did before in leagues.
By now I have played melee, spellcaster, archer, wander, ... I have played every class except Scion.

I enjoy playing the acts for that.

End-game has the RNG gate, and I never really engaged the end-game.
To address the original post:

In my opinion the end-game is using gambling addiction psychology to create player retention.

Playing the acts with a bit of mapping before 3rd time Malachai is ok.
(Unless you are doing it the 12th time with the same build)
got the same discussion and conclusion a few time ago with my guild mates ...

100% agree

have fun
learning is a painful process ... knowledge is the most deadly weapon.
I disagree with the notion that it is hard to reach t13 maps, especially in the Atlas. In fact, I am literally drowning in red maps.
if you are an adult and have 6h+ daily you should question your life choices

if you have no idea poestatictics.com shows average playtimes
https://poe-ssf.herokuapp.com/. Join the fun.
SSF HC Legacy Witch Lvl 53
I'm in the playerbase that they are losing money on because I have to "buy" my high level content.

I stopped buying supporter packs/mtx because in the entire 4 years I've played PoE I've only done about 5 highest tier maps ever and highest this league is 10, which is only two Quay maps so far. Its crazy and I still have a few tier4-6 that I havent even found yet to fill out my atlas.

S L O W E R
false dichotomy, the answer is neither. GGG see us as masochists. If you love to play PoE, you are in for lots of pain and tears :D
PoE is designed as a semi-length grinding game, which is completely different from what people actually expect it to be for some reason.

In a MMO you spend up to like a 1 month (as a casual player) to "hit max" and then start grinding out raids/end game.

PoE has the same idea, and it completely different from a normal "single player" experience such as the witcher 3 or Dragon age or something. Where you have 20-40 hours of content that is constantly fresh or new.

In PoE it's like 20-30 hours of content for the average person then anything further is the "MMO" grind type of content.

The problem isn't the company (grinding gear games), it's the fact that the closest competitor to PoE is Diablo 3 (type of "progression" the OP wants) or other single player play and dash type of ARPGs (grim dawn, van hellsing, ect).

They can "change" their game to appeal to a wider market, but that isn't going to be the case anytime soon since the design of the game is like I said before, based off of semi-heavy grinding MMOs and D2 ladder with metric shit tons of grinding and baal runs.

This would be similar asking D3 or WoW to go back to the "hardcore raider 1337 hours of prep grinding before you can raid" style of game-play many people enjoy when it first came out.
Last edited by RagnarokChu on Sep 30, 2016, 1:41:36 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info