Are the changes GGG has implemented encouraging Temp Leagues, or Discouraging them?

I ALWAYS skip the masters in every single challenge league. I don't ever use a hideout. And I don't do ascendancy trials either. Problem solved.
Permanent Hardcore only.
"
Deliverme wrote:

3) Exp nerfing. Discourages me from rolling new characters and dread hitting the high level fear of a death causing me to lose an hour or more of time investment.
The experience nerf doesn't even start affecting characters until they reach 90. Your highest characters never made it past 90 before. So I don't know why this would weigh into your decision to make new characters at all.

I would guess they'd make adjustments to the atlas over time. Everytime they make a new update, the new content is tuned to take a while. When masters were first introduced, you had to do daily rotations for most of the league to reach level 8. Now people get there with much less effort. I expect they'll make the atlas somewhat easier to progress through as other new things move into the forefront.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
I do think that if I had to do another White/low-Yellow Map Atlas fill in spree again I probably would reconsider temp league a bit.
Fake Temp League Elitists LUL
Last edited by _Saranghaeyo_ on Sep 28, 2016, 12:38:34 PM
"
mark1030 wrote:
"
Deliverme wrote:

3) Exp nerfing. Discourages me from rolling new characters and dread hitting the high level fear of a death causing me to lose an hour or more of time investment.
The experience nerf doesn't even start affecting characters until they reach 90. Your highest characters never made it past 90 before. So I don't know why this would weigh into your decision to make new characters at all.

I would guess they'd make adjustments to the atlas over time. Everytime they make a new update, the new content is tuned to take a while. When masters were first introduced, you had to do daily rotations for most of the league to reach level 8. Now people get there with much less effort. I expect they'll make the atlas somewhat easier to progress through as other new things move into the forefront.

I hesitated making that a point for this very reason. However, I have been discouraged from leveling beyond 90 due to the Exp nerf. This is a general issue with the game, I suppose more than a league specific issue for me. But one I wanted to include as league specific as so many others have commented to this effect.
I'm not sure how I feel about it. I think more than anything, I look for a compelling league mechanic.

GGG has had a string of "non-intrusive" league mechanics where you could play the entire league and ignore the main attraction. I personally don't like it and if that trend continues, then I'll fart around in standard until I get bored.

I miss invasion/beyond type mechanics where the threats were in your face and the challenge league was actually a challenge. I don't like these soft league mechanics that you can completely avoid.

The atlas adds a lot to the end game grind. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I know that if I don't play leagues, I probably won't play standard because I enjoy building characters more than playing them in end game. (i.e. I play the game for levels 65-90).

I'm just hoping the next league mechanic is unavoidable and in your face...if it is then I'll play it...if not well i'll probably just take a break from the game (which is probably long overdue anyway).

"
Deliverme wrote:
"
mark1030 wrote:
"
Deliverme wrote:

I hesitated making that a point for this very reason. However, I have been discouraged from leveling beyond 90 due to the Exp nerf. This is a general issue with the game, I suppose more than a league specific issue for me. But one I wanted to include as league specific as so many others have commented to this effect.
Fair enough. I only plan my builds to 90, so the experience nerf doesn't really affect me. Any levels above 90 were bonus anyway.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
"

3) Post-Atlas, I can't see myself doing leagues anymore. I never liked them to begin with, but the idea of having to do masters, lab trials, 12 (or even the upcoming 10) acts, and then fill out the atlas in 3 months...I'm sorry, but I have a job and other shit to do. I can't and won't dedicate that much time to this game.

This was my thought exactly. I've enjoyed this game quite a bit and have tolerated all of the grinding and imperfections. But, after spending a bit of time in the Atlas, I cannot imagine doing this all over again in subsequent leagues (and Standard has no appeal). I'm at about 60% now, but right around 25%, my immediate thought was, "I think I'm done with this game after this league."

Glad to see that there is some real constructive feedback on this topic. I am curious to see if others feel differently. So far we seem to be echoing each other, without any dissension. I would love to hear from people who may find these changes "refreshing" and draw them to a league perhaps as definitive goals to plug away at, and dont mind that grind every 3 months.

I do hope that GGG reads these sorts of threads and take into account our feedback (even though this is in the General Discussion forum)
1) The Atlas mapping system. This will be a big reason for me to come back to the temp leagues. It gives reason to play each map at least once, which I have never had before and really enjoy. For me, in the past it was a rush to get to T10+, skipping as many T1-9 maps as possible. I have completed 100+ in Atlas so far and each new map that gets completed is very rewarding. I wouldn't be very motivated to map, discover and progress if my progress was 125/125, as it would eventually be in standard.

2) Trials/Labs. I agree it is burdensome, but I still think there needs to be some sort of trial to pass to get such powerful rewards. I like that alts don't need to do the trials at least.

3) Exp nerfing. I thought the nerf was 95+ only. Anyways, this hasn't affected me much since I'm not about to grind out lvl 100. I even broke my personal record and got to 91 this league.

4) Master leveling - I agree that this is burdensome, but this temp league has been the easiest leveling so far with the master buff of allowing all to your hideout. It is the first league I barely did any master rotations because just doing personal dailies is more efficient exp/hour. 3.5 weeks in and all my masters (except Leo) are 7+.
I'd like to weigh in on this, as this might be my last temp league.

I've never gotten to a true end-game in the last few leagues, as I simply get burned out after a few weeks of steady play. I imagine my characters migrating back to Standard, so I can keep grinding the Masters and save up my slow savings. I've never been worth more than a couple ex of gear, tops. Currently I am happy to have made it to 89, and early red maps, before I got bored of my guy and built a new one. By the time I will have my second up to the first character's level, the league will be quiet, I will be hearing about the winter league content, and I will resign myself to reaching that Almost There spot. I'm in a weird spot in between the veteran players who are doing super cool t15 stuff and wishing there was more, and the casuals who are happy to explore early mapping.

I think Standard would be a better place, perhaps, for someone who plays like I do. A slow accumulation of masters rep and gear. That said, I do enjoy the social and economic aspects of the game. Standard isn't dead, but it is absolutely discarded as a secondary focus. I enjoy Leagues in that I feel like a drop I see might have some value. I am not a poe.trade flipper, I cannot fathom how guys afford a 7ex item, when the very best item I have ever seen drop sold for about 40c.

I can't imagine wasting another 60 or 100 hours on next league on braindead masters rotations. I don't want to remake a new hideout. I think the Atlas was a major failure. I probably only earned maybe 15 of the maps on my own, and bought every other one. Maybe if the droprate for maps directly next to the one being run were quadrupled? What a fantastic idea. But RNG ruined it.

Anyway, the improvements to the game are tremendous, especially if the dx11 works as I hope it to. The games inclination toward long-term grinding makes total focus on 3 month leagues a bummer. I'd love 1 week pushes, while most of us have our Mains. That's my dream, a new quick rush over a weekend, we are all excited for crappy uniques, no one has 6 links and shavs, and then we go back to our big powerful mains.

Sorry for the ramble, Guinness happened.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info