Fireball support help

"
Bobvans wrote:
"
Vipermagi wrote:
He would only take the AoE Damage.
It's mostly Concentrated Effect, which is a straight multiplier: if it grants 50% More Damage, multiply DPS by 1.5x. The small bit of Area Damage from Passives might add a percent or three as well.

why is dps multiplied by 1.5 and not .50?

Multiplying a number by 0.5 then adding it on to the original number is the same as just multiplying it by 1.5.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
so say my tooltip fireball was 90k and I had 50% increased area damage, then the more multi from conc effect is 59% with a crit multi of say 400%

how do I do the math on that?

would it be 90k x .50 which equals 45k. then add that to the 90K which equals 135k then what?
Last edited by Bobvans on Sep 30, 2016, 3:55:44 PM
Im currently playing an elementalist fireball witch

Using a 5L pledge, Fireball-Spell Echo-Fire Pen-Conc Effect-GMP-Controlled Dest

Fire Pen is an essential gem, at higher tier maps, mobs have high ele resists

Elemental Focus gives a higher tooltip dps than conc effect, because it is factored into the tooltip while conc effect does not. However it is a poor gem choice for fireball, because it negates one of Fireball advantages, which is a high ignite chance

Conc effect is really good, since it double dips on the explosion and the burning dmg. Use rolling flames to negate the small aoe

The projectile will not explode on pierce/chain, but it will explode on Fork.

"

Elemental Focus gives a higher tooltip dps than conc effect, because it is factored into the tooltip while conc effect does not. However it is a poor gem choice for fireball, because it negates one of Fireball advantages, which is a high ignite chance

Conc effect is really good, since it double dips on the explosion and the burning dmg. Use rolling flames to negate the small aoe

You arent going to get too many ignites with ele focus. http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Elemental_Focus_Support
For years i searched for deep truths. A thousand revelations. At the very edge...the ability to think itself dissolves away.Thinking in human language is the problem. Any separation from 'the whole truth' is incomplete.My incomplete concepts may add to your 'whole truth', accept it or think about it
Last edited by SkyCore on Sep 30, 2016, 4:44:20 PM
"
The projectile will not explode on pierce/chain, but it will explode on Fork.

Fireball does not explode when it Forks.
"
SkyCore wrote:
You arent going to get too many ignites with ele focus. http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Elemental_Focus_Support

That is literally what SoundOfSilence hinted at, yes.
"
Bobvans wrote:
so say my tooltip fireball was 90k and I had 50% increased area damage, then the more multi from conc effect is 59% with a crit multi of say 400%

would it be 90k x .50 which equals 45k. then add that to the 90K which equals 135k then what?

can anyone help me with this? and maybe explain like I'm slow?
"
Bobvans wrote:
"
Bobvans wrote:

can anyone help me with this? and maybe explain like I'm slow?

Bump. I've tried the offline builders, but I'm not sure AoE is being calculated
ne1?
I'm not an expert on this specifically, so I'm going to tell you what I think happens based on the general rules I know.

"
Bobvans wrote:

Not quite. This would only be true if you had 0% increased spell damage, 0% increased fire damage, 0% projectile damage, etc. X% increased damage (dealt) is additive with x% increased damage (dealt), and tooltip already takes most of that into account.

Here's what I would do: Find a ring that grants, say, 10% increased fire damage. Compare your tooltip before and after equipping the ring. Divide the higher number by the lower number. You should get something like 1.0395195195. Take away the 1 and round it as comfortable, like 0.0395, which represents 3.95%.

Divide 3.95% (the real multiplicative change) by the 10% increased fire damage (additive x% from ring). That will give you the conversion rate between additive and multiplicative, for your given existing increased amount. In this case it would be 0.395, or 39.5%.

Then, take your increased area damage, 50%, and multiply by that conversion factor, 0.395. You get 0.1975, or 19.75% "more."

So in that case, you would take 90k, then multiply by 1.1975, to get 107,775
Then take the more multiplier from conc effect and multiply that 1.59 * 107,775 = 171,362.25

You ignore crit multiplier because tooltip already includes crit (unless there is "Critical Strike Multiplier on Area Damage," then you're screwed and it is way too complicated. But I don't think that exists).

So, if you did the ring experiment like I said and get the 3.95 figure, you would have final DPS of 171,362.25 Adjusted Tooltip DPS.
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
Spoiler
"
adghar wrote:
I'm not an expert on this specifically, so I'm going to tell you what I think happens based on the general rules I know.

"
Bobvans wrote:

Not quite. This would only be true if you had 0% increased spell damage, 0% increased fire damage, 0% projectile damage, etc. X% increased damage (dealt) is additive with x% increased damage (dealt), and tooltip already takes most of that into account.

Here's what I would do: Find a ring that grants, say, 10% increased fire damage. Compare your tooltip before and after equipping the ring. Divide the higher number by the lower number. You should get something like 1.0395195195. Take away the 1 and round it as comfortable, like 0.0395, which represents 3.95%.

Divide 3.95% (the real multiplicative change) by the 10% increased fire damage (additive x% from ring). That will give you the conversion rate between additive and multiplicative, for your given existing increased amount. In this case it would be 0.395, or 39.5%.

Then, take your increased area damage, 50%, and multiply by that conversion factor, 0.395. You get 0.1975, or 19.75% "more."

So in that case, you would take 90k, then multiply by 1.1975, to get 107,775
Then take the more multiplier from conc effect and multiply that 1.59 * 107,775 = 171,362.25

You ignore crit multiplier because tooltip already includes crit (unless there is "Critical Strike Multiplier on Area Damage," then you're screwed and it is way too complicated. But I don't think that exists).

So, if you did the ring experiment like I said and get the 3.95 figure, you would have final DPS of 171,362.25 Adjusted Tooltip DPS.

I do appreciate the feedback, though I'm as lost as ever. I just figured there would be some basic algebraic equation, apparently it's far more involved than that. The wiki shows damage calculation but doesn't explain enough for me to get it. I have the ability to add up/take account for additional sources of damage, just not how do the math, so to speak.

Again, I appreciate your efforts and will read through your post again when I have time to focus on it's substance.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info