Who exacly thought that nerfing EXP gain is a good idea?

GGG, and they have a point...already a month in to the temp leagues and there are level 100's...not much of a nerf really
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
I've made myself unpopular debating this before - so I guess I'll do it again.

- There are no in-game incentives to reach 100. Not even an achievement. This is a personal goal only. Every content in the game can be fought way before you reach 100.

- Level 100 is the ONE thing GGG offers to the REAL dedicated players. The ones with way too much time on their hands. Why is it a bad thing that the real dedicated players, that puts in way more time than you, can achieve something you can't or won't?

- No matter where GGG sets "the line", there will ALWAYS be players feeling that the curve is too steep. As it is now, you (and others) feels it is too much. Even if they buff the XP rate, a lot of players will still question it. Where is the "perfect" line?

I'm not saying that I agree with the current XP curve, but I DO understand the thought process behind it.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
Last edited by Entropic_Fire on Oct 26, 2016, 10:57:29 PM
I think that both nerfing EXP gain plus gating high-level content behind strong RNG is a killer combination for a lot of players (me included).

What is the game offering to high lvl characters? leveling above 95 is extremely time-consuming plus accessing/maintaining high tier maps (=>14) is difficult no matter what you do... so it is offering a nice frustation, which of course is great to keep/increase player base.

"
Docbp87 wrote:
It sounds like you're just mad because you don't know what uniques are valuable, and what uniques are vendor trash. You also apparently don't know what affixes make a rare valuable, and what affixes are worthless. If you knew these things, I bet you would realize that you have had PLENTY of trade-able items drop. Also... 5+ EXALTS. WHOA. THATS SO MUCH. How can any player reasonably accumulate that much wealth? There are always ways to min-max your gear further. Something tells me that if you are making a big deal about 5 ex, then you have PLENTY of room to improve gear.

Its not that hard to find out if a unqiue is valuable or not. I put its name into poe.trade and see a few thousand of them all selling for an alch or less. Most expensive unique i've had drop was around 1-2 chaos.

I'm not mad, i'm frustrated. Regardless of what drops for me that i can sell, nothing drops that i can use anymore.

I'm sure what you said about there being ways to min-max our gear further is true but i would argue that in no way is it an intuitive/easily accessible part of the game for the average player who just wants to play the game, not spend half a life time figuring what everything costs and the complex mechanics hidden behind everything.

The pre-70 part of the game was fun. As you go up in levels gear drops along with it that you can use. Killing a monster feels exciting knowing it might drop something good. It encourages you to keep going along with the desire to get to the next level.

Post-70 and fuck all drops. By then you're pretty much committed to a build you've found works for you and so are stuck with needing certain stats the RNG just refuses to give you at a level that matches the content you're trying to do.

Even if i had something valuable to sell the trade system is such a mess and bloated with stuff for sale you can't sell it within a timely fashion / at all. Those that need what you have don't have the currency to buy it and those that have the currency don't need it.

Mean while everything for sale you can use as an upgrade costs in exalts.

The way i feel it should work is the pre-70 part of the game should continue. That to me is where the fun is. I want to progress my char in gear just as much as my level AT THE SAME TIME!

I don't expect an exalt to drop every map or even every day but I do expect to have seen more than 0 after 1000+ hours playing!

I can respect the RNG god's decision not to give me any good luck. What i cant respect is the games over all design to prevent me from over a RESENABLE amount of time buying/crafting myself a weapon worthy of level 85+, same with all of my gear.

It seems stupid to me that i have a level 89 char and i can't do most of the end game content. While i'm sure my lack of understanding of the intricacies of the game plays a part in that so too does my gear as well i feel.

There are plenty of upgrades out there for me to take. I can see that just from doing a quick search in poe.trade. The stat leaps are quite substantial which i feel would make all the difference in being able to kill atziri for example. Yet i don't have the currency/luck to craft them and i don't have the currency to buy them for 5 exalts.

For a little while around level 75 i was able to save up enough currency to scrap together a few chaos and upgrade my gear a little bit. This is what allowed me to kill malachai and after figuring out the easy uber lab mechanics and going on one of those days i did izaro too.

But having done that though i've now reached a wall where for example my mace cost me 15 chaos and bumped up my dps quite a bit from the one i'd been using since level 64 when i reached lvl 75. To do the same thing again now i'm 89 would require 3 exalts min to buy it and probably a few hundred exalts to craft it. To get something even close to what i need dropping imo is impossible.

Thus unless i can start pulling exalts out of my ass my chars gear progression has come to an end. As a result a large part of the fun of playing this game and motivation for continuing to go up the levels has gone.

Last edited by Chaoticmess on Sep 27, 2016, 2:52:50 PM
Simple answer is to just make all skill points available by lvl 90. Then the top 1% can still race to 100 without the other 99% suffering for it.
xp gain is perfect in its current state

Last edited by Entropic_Fire on Oct 26, 2016, 10:58:46 PM
"
Chaoticmess wrote:
Spoiler
"
Docbp87 wrote:
It sounds like you're just mad because you don't know what uniques are valuable, and what uniques are vendor trash. You also apparently don't know what affixes make a rare valuable, and what affixes are worthless. If you knew these things, I bet you would realize that you have had PLENTY of trade-able items drop. Also... 5+ EXALTS. WHOA. THATS SO MUCH. How can any player reasonably accumulate that much wealth? There are always ways to min-max your gear further. Something tells me that if you are making a big deal about 5 ex, then you have PLENTY of room to improve gear.

Its not that hard to find out if a unqiue is valuable or not. I put its name into poe.trade and see a few thousand of them all selling for an alch or less. Most expensive unique i've had drop was around 1-2 chaos.

I'm not mad, i'm frustrated. Regardless of what drops for me that i can sell, nothing drops that i can use anymore.

I'm sure what you said about there being ways to min-max our gear further is true but i would argue that in no way is it an intuitive/easily accessible part of the game for the average player who just wants to play the game, not spend half a life time figuring what everything costs and the complex mechanics hidden behind everything.

The pre-70 part of the game was fun. As you go up in levels gear drops along with it that you can use. Killing a monster feels exciting knowing it might drop something good. It encourages you to keep going along with the desire to get to the next level.

Post-70 and fuck all drops. By then you're pretty much committed to a build you've found works for you and so are stuck with needing certain stats the RNG just refuses to give you at a level that matches the content you're trying to do.

Even if i had something valuable to sell the trade system is such a mess and bloated with stuff for sale you can't sell it within a timely fashion / at all. Those that need what you have don't have the currency to buy it and those that have the currency don't need it.

Mean while everything for sale you can use as an upgrade costs in exalts.

The way i feel it should work is the pre-70 part of the game should continue. That to me is where the fun is. I want to progress my char in gear just as much as my level AT THE SAME TIME!

I don't expect an exalt to drop every map or even every day but I do expect to have seen more than 0 after 1000+ hours playing!

I can respect the RNG god's decision not to give me any good luck. What i cant respect is the games over all design to prevent me from over a RESENABLE amount of time buying/crafting myself a weapon worthy of level 85+, same with all of my gear.

It seems stupid to me that i have a level 89 char and i can't do most of the end game content. While i'm sure my lack of understanding of the intricacies of the game plays a part in that so too does my gear as well i feel.

There are plenty of upgrades out there for me to take. I can see that just from doing a quick search in poe.trade. The stat leaps are quite substantial which i feel would make all the difference in being able to kill atziri for example. Yet i don't have the currency/luck to craft them and i don't have the currency to buy them for 5 exalts.

For a little while around level 75 i was able to save up enough currency to scrap together a few chaos and upgrade my gear a little bit. This is what allowed me to kill malachai and after figuring out the easy uber lab mechanics and going on one of those days i did izaro too.

But having done that though i've now reached a wall where for example my mace cost me 15 chaos and bumped up my dps quite a bit from the one i'd been using since level 64 when i reached lvl 75. To do the same thing again now i'm 89 would require 3 exalts min to buy it and probably a few hundred exalts to craft it. To get something even close to what i need dropping imo is impossible.

Thus unless i can start pulling exalts out of my ass my chars gear progression has come to an end. As a result a large part of the fun of playing this game and motivation for continuing to go up the levels has gone.

First off, you have to take a step back and look at what you are saying. End game grinding is what it is. If you made gear more accessible after level 75, the shelf life of this game would be very very short. You said you spent 15 chaos to get a weapon upgrade and your next upgrade is multiple exalts. Now I don't know if you are trolling or don't understand what it is that you need, but there is no way that the gap you are speaking of exists. You either got an AMAZING deal on that 15c weapon, or you are over-estimating your needs for your next step in gearing.

I got a 500pdps 2-handed axe for 50c in ESC. I 5L'd it used it for a long time until I got my disfavor (that is reaaaal grinding) then sold it for 2 ex. There is plenty of upper-mid tier gear that will let you clear all of the content in the game. You just aren't looking for the right stats or you are looking to upgrades that are GG end game and not near what you need to complete the content.

If people aren't buying your items, you are pricing them too high. It's really that simple. A lot of newer players want to make that killer sale that will gear their whole character. I'm not saying that doesn't happen on occasion...but it is RARE. The way to get gear in this game is to grind chaos and convert chaos + other currencies to exalts and buy what you need.

If you focus on efficient killing/mapping (at whatever tier you are comfortable at) I promise that that "unattainable gear" you think you need becomes a very real possibility.

I used to be like you...then finally understood how it all comes together. And now?

I'm not nearly as good with economy stuff as most other players...but it is not bad if you focus your efforts one piece at a time.
"

First off, you have to take a step back and look at what you are saying. End game grinding is what it is. If you made gear more accessible after level 75, the shelf life of this game would be very very short.

As opposed to abandoning a character at 70 and making another one? Or simply quitting altogether which i feel many players do.

"

You said you spent 15 chaos to get a weapon upgrade and your next upgrade is multiple exalts. Now I don't know if you are trolling or don't understand what it is that you need, but there is no way that the gap you are speaking of exists. You either got an AMAZING deal on that 15c weapon, or you are over-estimating your needs for your next step in gearing.

I think i got a good deal because i took 3 days of my life glued to poe.trade refreshing it every few mins looking for an upgrade to my gear i could use and more importantly afford. When i saw my current mace appear i brought it as quickly as i could.

Incidentally this is exactly the kind of thing i feel is wrong with the game. I shouldn't have had to do that. I want to play the GAME not a website!

"

I got a 500pdps 2-handed axe for 50c in ESC. I 5L'd it used it for a long time until I got my disfavor (that is reaaaal grinding) then sold it for 2 ex. There is plenty of upper-mid tier gear that will let you clear all of the content in the game. You just aren't looking for the right stats or you are looking to upgrades that are GG end game and not near what you need to complete the content.

I already agreed there is plenty of gear out there that will let me clear content the problem is i can't afford them or craft them. What i'm looking at is a piece of gear that increases my stats to the point its worthwhile to even bother. For example i can find a pair of boots right now that would give me 12 more life then i currently have for 19c. I would argue though that for me to spend that kind of currency i would need the gain to be a little bit more than that especially when i know the trading system is so shit that by the time i sell the boots i currently have for a reasonable amount of chaos to get back I'll probably be long dead.

"

If people aren't buying your items, you are pricing them too high. It's really that simple. A lot of newer players want to make that killer sale that will gear their whole character. I'm not saying that doesn't happen on occasion...but it is RARE. The way to get gear in this game is to grind chaos and convert chaos + other currencies to exalts and buy what you need.

This was true at the start when i first played. Like most noobs i thought the first piece of gear i got with 3 resists on it and some life would net me an exalt or something. I can only laugh at my own naivety now.

My reply to you would be if nothing good/valuable drops for me then i have nothing of value to sell. It's really that simple.

I do try and grind chaos. How do you think i managed to get the 15c mace? It certainly wasn't through them dropping for me! I guess what I am ultimately saying then is this is an unacceptable form of grinding for me. I expect actual drops to occur as part of the level grinding process, like they did pre-70.

"

If you focus on efficient killing/mapping (at whatever tier you are comfortable at) I promise that that "unattainable gear" you think you need becomes a very real possibility.

I've been doing that for a while now and unless you consider a very long grinded build up of divination card drops for a tabula rasa i have yet to see this unattainable gear still. Because apart from that tabula rasa i've got nothing in terms of drops.

"

I used to be like you...then finally understood how it all comes together. And now?
I'm not nearly as good with economy stuff as most other players...but it is not bad if you focus your efforts one piece at a time.

Ah yes, understanding, I'm sure that helps. Like I've already said the problem is i don't want to play a spreadsheet and get bogged down in stats and mechanics i want an intuitive fun game that i PLAY. Part of that play i accept should be a grind but there is a grind and then there is POE.

A grind is like going through infant school, junior school and then secondary school where (for the most part) you learn something and feel like your progressing towards something useful.

POE is like college or university though where it all gets much more complicated and even when you do start understanding things all you end up come out of it with is just a diploma, few job prospects, a tiny salary and crippling student loans leaving you up a creak without a paddle.
Last edited by Chaoticmess on Sep 27, 2016, 5:49:54 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info