Does anyone here enjoy flask juggling?

I enjoy flask usage, timing and swapping flasks for different encounters/map mods.
If by Juggling you mean just running down the line of flasks every few seconds then no. These unique powerful flasks need harsher restrictions for how they are used. They should be something you save until the opportune moment. There isn't any decision making or skill needed in pressing 1,2,3,4,5.

I don't want to see the effects of these flasks nerfed but the ability to constantly spam them should be looked at.
The real reason flasks are so potent is because they work instantly and simultaneously along with everything else you do, even when you're stunned or frozen. This makes drinking a Basalt flask far more effective than manually casting Enfeeble, a curse which requires you to stop whatever else you're doing in order to cast it. One of the major tactical restrictions of PoE is how it blocks the initiation of a new action until the current action is completed or aborted. If it instead queued up actions and executed them in sequence, you could effectively compose keyboard/mouse macros on the fly, simply by inputting commands faster than they can be executed. As the only non-blockable commands in the game, flasks are inherently overpowered.
I think it's sad that micromanaging your flask sipping is usually more important in a fight than micromanaging your positioning.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
I think it's sad that micromanaging your flask sipping is usually more important in a fight than micromanaging your positioning.
I'd say it is... sad? or fun? when many builds can only use one button to kill full screens but have to use 4-5 flasks to keep that potential active. Flasks are like better skills now.
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
"
RogueMage wrote:
This makes drinking a Basalt flask far more effective than manually casting Enfeeble, a curse which requires you to stop whatever else you're doing in order to cast it.

Except that Enfeeble works against all damage, has unlimited "charges" and ~triple duration.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
"
morbo wrote:
"
RogueMage wrote:
This makes drinking a Basalt flask far more effective than manually casting Enfeeble, a curse which requires you to stop whatever else you're doing in order to cast it.

Except that Enfeeble works against all damage, has unlimited "charges" and ~triple duration.

And both are not mutually exclusive.

( You forgot the part where bosses reduce the effect the curse tho ).
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Let's see...

Ambush: legacy-surgeon's wander
Talisman: flask build
Perandus: flask build in standard (using soulthirst), semi-flask build in PSC
Prophecy: saved up for a CoC flask build
Essence: my main uses sulphur flasks to regen mana via Inquisitor, my alt is a surgeon's BV build lol

So yeah, I guess I like flasks quite a bit.

edit: oh I forgot about the zerphi's scold's flask build I made in standard between Perandus and Prophecy
builds: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1663570/
Last edited by ThatsSoGoodman on Sep 26, 2016, 6:04:42 AM
I do like flasks because they give the gameplay an additional layer. Some builds could be played with one hand without flasks.

The Flask mechanic of POE is the best in this genre and especially when it comes to unique flasks it gets pretty interesting.

But sometimes i think it's annoying that they are somewhat predominant in boss fights. Flasks empty? Run in circles until adds spawn. It's kind of a mandatory part of boss fights that doesn't really feel strategic or exciting.
I think boss i fights are not what this genre is shining at. They exist, they are something you have to consider, but lots and lots of mechanics are simply about hack n slaying instead of drawn out fights against single tanky enemies (Same reason PvP is such a mess imo) and flasks play a huge role in this.

Edit 1:
Maybe if we had an alternative to leech that worked with flask charges. So there would would be a way to replenish them by fighting and not just by killing (sort of a life on hit vs life on kill type scenario)

Edit 2:
Just noticed surgeons does that ... i mean it more in a skillable fashion that can be tailored into larger variety of builds.

offtopic
"
gibbousmoon wrote:
I ask because recently I've been giving a lot of thought to the wisdom of balance via rewarding unfun mechanics (increasing the rewards for unfun areas or annoying bosses, declining to nerf overpowered gems which are annoying to use and therefore unpopular, etc.). I'll probably make a thread on this topic soon, so keep an eye out for it if the topic interests you.

I'm all ears! That's something this forum direly lacks ... people daring to question things that are the norm. Most will defend each and every mechanic that has been there since the beginning just because they are afraid of change.
The energy people defend mechanics that imho are on a dead wrong track (and have always been) is nothing short of impressive!
PoE musn't become league of legends 2.0 but it's better than living i D2's shadow for all eternity.
Last edited by Scherge on Sep 26, 2016, 11:25:17 AM
"
gibbousmoon wrote:
Do you find it an intrinsically fun mechanic, or do you just do it because it makes you more powerful?

At least I only use it because it makes my chars more powerful.
German saying: Schönheit und Funktionalität in Sekundenschnelle zu ruinieren, ist dem wahren Dilettanten keine Herausforderung!
torturo: "Though, I'm really concerned, knowing by practice the capabilities of the balance team."
top2000: "let me bend your rear for a moment exile"

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info