Offline Client Mod: Exalts/Eternals drop as often as chaos, mirrors drop as often as exalts

This is not a thread asking for an offline mode, this thread is just exploring the effects a specific mod might have on a single player version of the game. If anyone says something like "offline mode will never happen" it's because they couldn't be bothered to read the first two sentences in the OP.

On topic, in your single player PoE, you would have the ability to create your leagues with their rules. The UI lets you pick a league already, so this lets people silo their characters in arbitrary ways, and each league can have different mechanics and droprates that you choose when you are creating it.

The mod then, is for a solo crafting league. Instead of IDing untold thousands of rares hoping for a great one to drop, you would item-filter away almost everything except uniques, currencies and valuable item bases. You would still have a sense of progress because it can take literally thousands of eternal/exalts to craft one item, and since you're the only crafter in the league, you are going to want to craft every type of item base for every build. That's phys crit versions of all major weapon types, melee and caster amulets jewellry, armour/evasion/ES gear and every kind of hybrid, elemental attack weapons, belts, not to mention the ability to create perfect items for weird niche builds like stacking str/int/dex for items that scale from them. In terms of the hours of playtime that progression scale gives you, it's more than enough.

And when you aren't crafting, I think the general flow of the game would be more focused on killing monsters and getting XP, rather then a stilted, constantly interrupted flow of portalling out of maps to sell off rares. The drop rate wouldn't make crafting these items "trivial," it would make it "realistically achievable," which is something that can never be permitted as long as the game is based on trading.

It's your single player game, so there is no economy to be harmed. I'd play that.
Last edited by Crocodarrel on Sep 22, 2016, 4:38:58 PM
Last bumped on Sep 24, 2016, 2:26:43 AM
Don't click spoiler
Spoiler
[Removed by Support]

You've been warned
Bye bye desync!
Last edited by Brian_GGG on Sep 22, 2016, 4:47:43 PM
I read it all but I still have to say "offline mode will never happen". And you seem aware of that so I'm not sure what is the point of all this speculation of what you could do.

For what it's worth, I would play an offline version and I would reactivate every single past league, including the random short ones like dark shrines and 20 exiles per map. This would be fun.
When the devs are complete with the game and no longer want to pay for servers an offline option may be realised... but that's like 10+ years away
What's the point? If you want to hack an offline mode then just start the game with 99999 exalts/mirrors, character at level 100, perfect roles for all the T1 rates. Hell make Kaom's have 5000 HP why just 500?

If you're gonna hack the game hack it for real don't set parameters like "drop mirrors as often as chaos" what's the point?

Then again if you're gonna hack an offline mode into god mode who cares anyway. People have done that with CoC. Get all their armies up, base maxed, infinite resources till they go online and bam the server just resets everything anyway. Like look at my OP account but don't turn on my internet lol. It's like living in the 80s lol
Deliver pain exquisite
Last edited by ultratiem on Sep 22, 2016, 7:03:51 PM
"
If you're gonna hack the game hack it for real don't set parameters like "drop mirrors as often as chaos" what's the point?

The difference between changing the droprates as I've described and an out-right Godmode is that there is still a progression while playing the game.

Cheating in games is a tricky business. Do it wrong, and you ruin the game for yourself. Do it well, and you get a lot more fun out of your games. Mods and hacks can do more than just create Godmodes.

Games on consoles tend to come in a one-size-fits-all paradigm, where you take it or leave it. Games on PC have a long history of being adjusted to fit the personal taste of the player. The OP describes a change in the ruleset that changes the game from having an item-hunting based progression into a crafting-item-collecting based progression. And you still have the item hunting progression in the form of uniques. It's just an idea about how the PoE framework could still exist in a similar game with a different sort of progression/gear curve. Depending on why you play the game, how social you are, whether you like trading or crafting as they are, it might not be appealing at all, but I think it's interesting to think about.

"
brunowa wrote:
When the devs are complete with the game and no longer want to pay for servers an offline option may be realised... but that's like 10+ years away

I agree. I think there's a very good chance GGG does this in when they are ready to move on from running the game as a service, but I'm not expecting it anytime soon.
wisdom scraps replaced with eternals, alt shards replaced with mirror

The reason offline mode will never happen is because they would need to put all the coding for the server-side stuff in the client (Damage calculation, drop rates/tables, monster stats etc...). Then people would hack it, and you would get private servers.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
Last edited by dudiobugtron on Sep 22, 2016, 9:10:40 PM
What are you going to do with a mirror in an offline mode?
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
"
What's the point? If you want to hack an offline mode then just start the game with 99999 exalts/mirrors, character at level 100, perfect roles for all the T1 rates. Hell make Kaom's have 5000 HP why just 500?

Then again if you're gonna hack an offline mode into god mode who cares anyway. People have done that with CoC. Get all their armies up, base maxed, infinite resources till they go online and bam the server just resets everything anyway. Like look at my OP account but don't turn on my internet lol. It's like living in the 80s lol

The point of an offline mode is not to cheat. I mean, yes, sure, lots of teenies will do that, but for me, the point of an offline mode would be to be able to modify the game in a way that makes it more engaging and fun. I could do that, I did it with Diablo2 (the game was not easier afterwards, even though gearing was easier). Besides, you would get less latency, obviously.

A (voided) crafting league would be awesome.
Remove Horticrafting station storage limit.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info