What do you prefer in D3 over PoE, and visa versa?

Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Sep 23, 2016, 8:52:22 AM
Well Diablo 3 was a roller coaster for me and I've played on an off since release… But I have a feeling that the OP meant the game in its current state…
So let me list what I prefer about D3
Followers, Cut scenes…
I think that’s it. After years of playing both D3 and PoE I’m still floored by the brilliance of the PoE item and currency system and shocked that a company like Blizzard couldn’t find the talent to make theirs work… To scrap the economy all together was basically a statement to players that “we don’t know what we’re doing”. I happen to think that PoE does/did everything else better with their game, and the fact that the games have comparable player bases (basing my opinion on twitch viewership) is one of the best underdog stories in gaming. It’s telling that other up and coming games mention GGG as a successful financial model they would like to strive for.
I play D3 sometimes still. Basically I crush it for a weekend when a new league starts. But then I’m done… PoE seasons give me a month of play generally.
D3 has brawling poe cant rly fuk wit dat
IGN: Tuqo
That's easy, the butter smooth server/client communication in D3:RoS gives me very nice quality of play. Even when I play D3 with 2 friends I get little to no lag and we all have fun playing. Certainly can't do that in PoE.

Also easy, the build diversity, the skill tree, the fact that all gear is usable by any class, the better backstory and immersion into the history of Wraeclast, the frequent updates (weeks/months instead of years), the new content every 3 months (but at the expense of making us beta testers), and the better player community (yes, of late the overall tone of threads is more negative but that's GGG's fault for not improving the endgame to provide more than infinite mapping and leveling up nerfs all the time) makes PoE better than D3.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
Generally, I find myself enjoying D3 generally more than PoE, though I have played every PoE league (except Propecy) and every D3 season (except season 6). This will be a reasonably long post, and I'll explain what I like and don't like from both games.

D3 like:
-Classes / skills feel unique.
-Easy build switching.
-Accessible access to interesting items / build effects.
-Smart drops so that you generally find stats that you need (makes self-found work).
-Game systems have syngergy with each other (i.e. rifts get you gold and Greater Rift shards, which let you do GRs, which upgrade your legendary gems, etc.)
-Good for group play (no ninja-looting, and enables trade between players).
-Gameplay feels fun and dynamic: most enemies have special attacks and fighting styles, even when not boss-packs, and high-level play / most good builds require utilizing many skills instead of just one.
-Difficulty is tuned with a scaling end-game, so that even weak-but-fun builds can still be strong (just not competitive at higher rift levels or on leaderboards).

D3 dislike:
-Story sucks.
-Game gets repetitive reasonably fast.
-Few high-level builds.
-Many skills have rune options where one rune is clearly the best.
-Decent number of legendary items have special affixes that are trash, or no special affix at all.
-Reasonably few tile-sets for rifts.

PoE like:
-Expansive passive talent tree, cool keystone passives.
-Interesting crafting system (that also works on the environment!).
-Strong, interesting unique items.
-Skill gem system is fantastic. Lots of build diversity.
-Masters are a cool crafting system that also adds to the lore.
-Good story.
-Good integration of gameplay into lore (i.e. Karui Marauders from Sarn, lore on skill gems, etc).
-Leagues are generally quite inventive.
-The devs have a strong vision, and often provide meaningful updates.

PoE dislike:
-Passive tree is large, but not necessarily interesting (most everyone needs to take lots of health, generally few nodes with interesting effects; mostly just % stat / damage ups).
-Crafting system is basically just gambling, unlikely to return good items (or even upgrades over what you have) unless you're part of the 1% elite.
-Because of the above, the cool crafting items mostly just function as equivalent to gold unless you're the afore-mentioned 1% elite.
-Skill gem system provides anti-synergy with dynamic gameplay (load up 1 skill with the strongest powers and spam it forever rather than relying on a multitude of skills).
-Like D3, game is also very repetitive. Needing to play through the same content 3 times is quite annoying. It was fine in D2, but that was a long time ago and my tastes have changed.
-End-game itemization is boring. Over dozens of build guides all suggest life / all res on most items, with only a few cool uniques or damage-specced weapons or amulets feeling interesting.
-Difficulty is inconsistent. One-shots galore, especially late-game.

Comparisons:

-I feel like neither D3 nor PoE really gets items right. I often see people say that D3's items are boring stat-sticks, but after looking over dozens of PoE guildes it seems like this is true of PoE as well. Most items in PoE require heavy speccing into health and all-res, leaving little-to-no room for interesting affixes. D3 has the same problem, but since legendaries and set items are king in D3, most items give you cool affixes on the side, some of which can be used to build very interesting characters. In contrast, I find that PoE's system has the potential to build more powerful characters, but that very often the items are no more interesting, and since most items are rare they lack the cool affixes and abilities that PoE's uniques have. Still, I do find that PoE's uniques are generally cooler than D3's legendaries and sets.

-I like the theory of PoE skill system a lot more than D3's, but I think it has a lot of flaws. As I said above, the skill gem system prioritizes loading up one damage skill with all the powers, and making it deal all of your damage. The rest tend to just be auras that boost your character power without providing too many more interesting effects. In contrast, D3's system is less interesting and innovative, but I find that it often gives you more reason to use other skills. D3's resources are less easy to bypass than mana in PoE, so you have less of an ability to just ignore resource and spam forever. There's more mobility (and I'd argue better) mobility skills in D3, and even most passive aura skills still have worthwhile activatable effects. Most sets also require using multiple skills to achieve the build's full potential, or to be able to completely bypass the class's resource. I find that this provides more interesting gameplay in D3; PoE is more about just spamming one skill forever.

-Going off the skill thing, I don't really like PoE's passive tree. It's massive, but I find that a lot of the stats on it feel quite homogenous. For example, most builds need to prioritize getting a lot of health nodes from it, while D3 just gives you lots of items that increase your health. I feel like this kind of undervalues those levels in PoE, for me, because while you need the health in PoE it's not an interesting stat, nor is it something that is rare or hard-to-get in D3. I'm also not a fan of most of the damage upgrades, since it usually just takes the form of % damage up. Yes, there are many different types, but since you don't get the types that you aren't playing I feel like they all feel the same. If you're playing fire you get fire% up, if you're playing 2-handed you get 2-handed % up, but either way you're just getting % damage up. I don't think D3 necessarily does it better, but I don't think PoE's system is very interesting either. I'd have much preferred if the passive tree was mostly for getting important side upgrades, like increasing status effect chances / effects, or for giving you cool, major changes like most keystone passivese do. As it stands, I don't feel like the passive tree givees you much that just getting stats on gear does. And since D3 now gives you stats for level ups (the Paragon system gives you upgrades to main-stats, offense, defense and auxiliary stats), I don't even feel like PoE is giving you something more or different than what D3 gives you. In PoE you get health% up; in D3 you get %max health, armor and all-res up. In PoE you get %damage; in D3 you get crit chance, damage and attack speed. There are definitely some cool effects in the passive tree, don't get me wrong, I just feel like you need to take so many "base" upgrades that the cool upgrades that change the way you play your character fall to the wayside.

-I kind of have to say that PoE's crafting is better than D3's, because even though I don't like PoE's crafting (really gambling) system D3's isn't that good either. However, D3's crafting system does allow upgrading rares to legendaries, so it is very helpful. It's just not that much more interesting than just getting extra drops.

-Lastly, I like the style of D3's build diversity better than PoE's. PoE definitely has more actual end-game diversity than D3 does, but I feel like many of them also play quite similarly. D3, since it does scaling monster stats instead of set mosnter stats, lets you customize the difficulty to your preferred play level. While this does homogenize the difficulty, to some level, it also allows you to get to the end of the game and still play crazy, off-the-wall builds. If you're playing Torment 1 in D3, you can pretty much play any class with any combination of skills and items. You can feel free to play weird, crazy builds that shouldn't work, just because you can set the enemy difficulty to be at a level that you can handle. I feel like this is less true of PoE. I also feel like there's less crazy builds in PoE than there are in D3, but I'll grant that this is probably due to the fact that I'm more familiar with D3 than I am with PoE. There's probably about the same number.

Overall, I feel like PoE and D3 are quite comparable, but I generally have more fun playing D3 than I do playing PoE. I with that PoE flowed better, and had a more dynamic skill system that rewarded me for using many different skills instead of just loading up one skill with all the damage, and then using auras and buffs to make spamming that skill be all you need. It's possible that I'm wrong about this play style, but I don't think I am. I've played 5 characters, and watched videos of end-game map completion, and all of them seem to be the same. Whirlwind guy does nothing but whirlwind; Firestorm just casts tons of Firestorms; bow build just shoots Tornado Shots and the Chaining Arrow thing; etc. I wish there was more dynamic activity in PoE, and I also wish that more enemies were interesting and did things like charge you, or put down damage areas on the ground, or explode their corpses after death, or have multiple different attacks depending on the situation, or any of a number of things that D3 monsters do even with boss-pack affixes. I do feel like PoE is built on a better base than D3 is. I just feel like D3 has gone in a direction I enjoy more than PoE has. I think it's correct that D3 is more about the "action" part of ARPG than the "RPG" part, but I feel like since I enjoy playing it more than PoE, which specializes more in the "RPG" part, I wish that PoE could be more similar.
"
Path of Exile: Ability to store what you want in storage. Run out of space? Buy more storage!
Diablo 3: We don't like hoarders so we artificially limit players ability to put items in storage. We also don't give enough storage for it to be very useful (You get far less storage per tab than in POE and until the expansion was released you started with 1 less tab than POE too).

Actually D3 has been giving out stash tabs every season and even has rewards, so the stash tab issue is mostly resolved. Since you don't trade or have to hoard a bazillion currency and div cards and maps and all the other crap that feeds GGG's stash tab MTX, the current stash tab space is pretty decent. So yeah, you're talking about vanilla D3, not the current state of the game.
Deliver pain exquisite
"
"
Path of Exile: Ability to store what you want in storage. Run out of space? Buy more storage!
Diablo 3: We don't like hoarders so we artificially limit players ability to put items in storage. We also don't give enough storage for it to be very useful (You get far less storage per tab than in POE and until the expansion was released you started with 1 less tab than POE too).

Actually D3 has been giving out stash tabs every season and even has rewards, so the stash tab issue is mostly resolved. Since you don't trade or have to hoard a bazillion currency and div cards and maps and all the other crap that feeds GGG's stash tab MTX, the current stash tab space is pretty decent. So yeah, you're talking about vanilla D3, not the current state of the game.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that because I don't care about the seasonal play in Diablo 3 which means I don't get to take advantage of the extra tabs. Also I think the seasonal gameplay might be tied to the Reaper of Souls expansion? unsure.

Hum, POE also lets you avoid Ninja Looting by turning on permanant loot allocation. However if someone with a different loot allocation setting enters an area first than that area will adapt their loot settings and yeah, then loot ninja'ing can be an issue that the host can't avoid.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
havent played D3 but... i probably like the follwers especially how they have their own sideplot as well the other one is the easy skill respeccing.
Just another Forum Signature in a Sea of Signatures.
Both games are pretty fun. Congrats on GGG to make a really good game ! You got my support. ARPGS are my favority game style, i play since d1.

D3 pos:

- Combat
- Graphics
- Multiplayer gameplay
- UI
- Chat, friendlist and communities
- GRs and leaderboards
- Seasonal conquests ladder
- Boss fights
- Monsters fights mechanics, like elites
- Skills
- Loot for each party member and private
- Death save passive
- Transmog system

D3 cons:

- Lack of stash space
- paragon system ( ruined the high end game competition )

POE pos:

- Passive tree
- Gem system
- Hideout

POE cons:

- Multiplayer is really bad, with bad performace and bad loot and map drops system on groups
- Endgame is lacking challenging content
- Content heavely gated by RNG or currency
- UI
- Log out on hardcore

My suggestions for POE:

- Had a blast on poe lvling and theroycrafting on the skill tree, but no content matched the power of the char. Make some optional and really hard content, but please, dont make it cost exs to play it.

- Please GGG, rethink your multiplayer experience. Make the loot roll for each party member, make it private, and make map drops for everyone as well.

- Improve the UI, make an option to display damage numbers and enemies life numbers so we can properly test new content and theorycraft

- Rework the map system somehow to give us harder maps. Could create a currency that gives any map +1 tier lvl, breaking the tier 16 cap. Increase the boss map drop chance, and please make it drops +1 or +2 maps more frequently. Only challenging content on map is the BOSS it self, make some interesting mechanics and buffs for some group of monsters, like elites and champions on d3

- POE gives a false ilusion of build diversity, but have you all checked the meta build on last league ? BV has huge AOE, huge movement speed and clear speed, and could hit kill most of the bosses. That build has more DPS then any other build by far ! If there was some sort of dificult scaling on POE or leaderboards, all we would see is that build...

- Make some defencive skills with cooldowns to improve combat gameplay

Last edited by Kohwalter on Sep 24, 2016, 9:20:07 AM
I only played the demo version of D3 but its area event (quest) system thing was neat and i really think PoE should get something like this

Seems like theres lots of things D3 has that PoE doesnt but one thing PoE has that D3 doesnt... but its as big a thing as everything on D3 (> PoEs skill system/tree system)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info