Tips on getting views and replies on your build guide thread?

Hi all! My greatest pleasure in Path of Exile is coming up with my own builds every time I play. I've been playing since 2013 and never once used some else's guide, as that would ruin the fun for me. Sure sometimes the builds I come up with kinda suck, but most of them are ok. A few are really good and those are the ones that give me a sense of achievement while playing this game.

With all that said, a lot of the fun I get from making builds also comes from making guides for them and posting them on the class forums. I only do that when the build has at least proven itself on mid-tier maps. I usually get some feedback but I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to increase the number of views and replies to a build guide thread. What do you expect to see in the title of a build guide and when you open the thread?

Last bumped on Sep 21, 2016, 10:35:38 AM
People (me mostly) want videos.
It seems people look for:

- Is it cheap? Very rich players have no need for guides, usually.
- Is it Atziri/Über viable? Nice gear check milestone.
- Is it fun?
- Is it original? Do you use any "lesser known" mechanics?
- Do you use popular skills/items?

Implement those, and your guides will be found when searching. Videos of clear speed/bosses is always a plus.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
Well, short good title which contains ascendancy and main skill. When I open I will look for gear and passive tree. Those determine if I do it,don't list everything every gear part in a separate spoiler (e.g. gloves, then boots,etc). One spoiler with all gear including flasks and jewels.
It has to be cheap, a build worth playing as league starter or at least worth as second char, since many people play league. Don't use caps or clickbait ( 1 00000000 DPS UNBUFFED SUPER DMG GOD MODE) . Explain your mechanics if there are any. It's nice to get some explanations ^^ gl with your guides, I just wrote down what came to my mind.

Oh and bandits...people like to forget them. Also videos of atziri and the usual
Last edited by Flurbereinigung on Sep 20, 2016, 10:56:50 AM
"

Oh and bandits...people like to forget them.

I will never understand this one. If you know the game, and have read the guide - bandit rewards should be pretty self explainable. But hey, not everyone knows the game.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
That's the point, people who learn the game mostly require this. And even if you know the game, better safe than sorry, I don't like to spend 20 regrets to change my bandit.
Thank you all for the quick and very useful comments! Definitely got some ideas for my next guides.

If you feel like giving me a more detailed critique, here are all the guides I've made so far:

Spoiler
Scion Dual Strike Axe Shocker

This was my first guide ever and I played it in patch 1.3. The concept was trying to get as much lightning damage and shock duration as possible to shock even high HP bosses. It used Elemental Proliferation (it was nerfed at that time).

Templar MoM Incinerate with Clear Mind Jewel

My second guide. I played this in patch 2.0. Incinerate wasn't nerfed back then. I think it was a solid build and I got a lot of positive feedback from it.

Marauder Claw Double Striker with Thief's Torment

I had a lot of fun with this build in patch 2.1 but didn't get too much feedback. I guess people don't like Thief's Torment so much.

Juggernaut with Vigilant Strike, Hyaon's Fury and Elemental Overload

This is what I played in patch 2.3. Also lots of fun and pretty solid, got some good feedback. I didn't have time to develop the build too much because I was moving from my house during the last league and didn't get to play it much.

I'm not trying to promote all those build guides by linking them here. Most of them are old and broken now anyway because of updated game mechanics, nerfs, new passive trees etc. But maybe if you feel like doing so you can have a quick look and tell me some parts that I can improve for my future guides.

I have a YouTube channel where I post videos for all the builds. I usually get some positive feedback on the comments and thumbs up. Sometimes people will give very unconstructive criticism such as simply saying "unplayable build" without any explanation.

Last edited by Rhoa_Power on Sep 20, 2016, 11:24:35 AM
I like builds that looks flashy and fun.

I took a look at your guides and you certainly have a good structure and format to your guides. Unfortunately, the playstyles look rather bland and isn't quite opie op. So while the 'form' is there, the substance is lacking.

My take anyway.
IGN: JerleNecroDD/JerleNecroRuthless
Harvest is the BEST league EVER. Deterministic crafting ftw.
How will POE2 and POE coexist?
clickbait thread tittle
bump your thread
BIG NUMBERS
videos that make your build looks OP
updates
league start is when most players visit poe forums and look for build,
reddit is your best friend
"Is there such a thing as an absolute, timeless enemy? There is no such thing, and never has been. And the reason
is that our enemies are human beings like us. They can only be our enemies in relative terms."
Last edited by kamil1210 on Sep 20, 2016, 2:31:55 PM
-Fancy, attention-grabbing title. Popular skills/builds lead into possibly more views.
-Summary of the build, your idea, whatever
-Maths why this works if you're dedicated
-Gears. Having multiple examples of a slot is nice, descriptions of which stats you need is better
-Flasks and other options
-Jewels
-Passive tree.
-Bandits
-Leveling tree, does your build have any stages, leveling tips/uniques?
-HC viable?
-Uber Atziri, Uber lab, Guardians/Shaper (lol as if) viable?
-Map mods you can't run
-Ascendancies, which order to pick them?
-Gem quality, which ones first?
-VIDEOS! Boss fights + full map clear. Must. I have to see how the build looks and plays.

I think I just started listing things I like to see in guides, but if your guide is well written and contains all the actual guide material, you should get views or at least replies. Oh, and art. Art is nice.

In reality, something like 1 MILLION DPS IMMORTAL BV PATHFINDER will catch a lot of attention. Remember to overemphasize the dps number.

Good luck.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info