Chris mentioned new content that fixes a arpg problem

"
Aynix wrote:
That's why I want it in PoE ^ ^

And that's why I agree with you :P
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
Last edited by Entropic_Fire on Oct 26, 2016, 10:48:33 PM
"
Chris Wilson: There's a thing we're doing next year, that we think is kind of new, like when we've described this to a couple of people they've said, "No other game would try to do that", and I'm keeping this incredibly vague, like I can't say anything else, because that's for a later announcement. But it is pretty wacky, and I think it will help solve a problem, in Action RPGs that our game has, that other games have not solved well. And an example here, and it's not at all related to flasks, but an example, 100% not an itemization flask thing.

LiftingNerdBro: Okay. (laughs)

Chris Wilson: I don't mean that as a wink. It actually isn't related to flasks.

ProjectPT: So it is related to flasks?

(laughing)

HegemonyTV: We got it. Read you loud and clear.

LiftingNerdBro: Confirmed.

Chris Wilson: Confirmed, yeah. Now when we don't release any changes to flasks people are going to be "I'm pretty sure you promised that..."

ProjectPT: We're just going to use your quotations and apply it to everything. Like all these changes apply.

Chris Wilson: Okay so, example, Diablo 1 and 2, and Titan Quest, and various other games had potions that you drink. You get a lot of them. You got to town, like in Titan Quest you buy like a stack of 80, and in Diablo 1 and 2, you fill up your inventory and belt full of potions. You go out in the world, and whenever you're taking damage, if you need life you're just pushing the potion key. And so, the next generation of Action RPGs had to solve this, because no one liked that. We said, "Well, we don't have gold so, you're not buying potions, let's go with this flask system that refills on kill.", and Diablo 3 added the red orbs on the ground, that you get during combat, which is like getting life on kill, but done in a slightly more indirect way. And so, we prefer the way that we did it, because we like our game, and we feel this is the case of different companies solving the same problem in different ways. And this system that we're looking into in the future is another way of solving an existing problem in a different way than other people have.
Well +1 for GGG trying some new stuff. I hope it wont be as end-game changing as atlas of worlds, since I dont feel any difference.
"
Namcap wrote:
I think it's significantly simpler and all he was hinting at was the removal of several difficulties which need to be replayed. He mentioned that other arpgs have the same problem or didn't fix it properly. D3 tried to fix it by having difficulty levels not being tied to the story but it did create other issues. If you play on normal you'll finish the entire story at like level 40 (70 being max level) and then most newcomers will go "now what?" and are left in the dark and quit the game.

hi i am a new player to POE but i am a d3 veteran (at one time top 1k in the world), however do i need to replay campaign 3 times in order to get to endgame?i cant really do that even though i like the game.i may well quit now to save up some time
rip pathfinder?
my english sux.
The problem is leveling through the same acts with different difficulties. It's boring. Except another ARPG has "solved" it.

The problem, of course, is GGG's "solutions" are always like a corrupted wish - you get your wish in a way that makes it overall worse. I'm predicting the alternate way to level is you probably have to chain Labs, or chain master missions, doing something that is overall worse, faster if you complete it perfectly, but slower if you mess up a couple of times (Vorici Missions, Lab deaths/disconnects/having to start all over losing progress, etc.)

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give moar Power Creep Pls

Chris took my advice. They are implementing DOTA in POE.
It's highly unlikely to expect any revolutionary, as there's simply no potential. Chris is high in the skies and use to exaggerate most of the time.

The "problem" with aRPGs he mentioned is completely intentional, but he doesn't realize. It was done to prolong a game when content is lacking. As long as there is plenty of it to keep players busy for long periods of time, the rest is removal of the difficulties and fine tuning.
aRPGs with a lot of content but stuck into this archaic model are just going by inertia, led by shortsighted developers.

BTW the best leveling mechanic is already invented, it's the TQ model of monster level increase per area, locked in brackets. This way the game can be adjusted that creeps could be always at your level or higher, as you progress. This provides constant challenge and difficulty while leveling, slows down the progression, and opens the opportunity of developers to use their main content more effectively.

On a side note, basic mechanics in TQ are superior to those in D2 in terms of potential for precise balancing and gameplay adjustments. I wish Chris had copied more of it and less of D2's archaic formulas. This way there wouldn't be a need to re-invent the hot water.
This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017
Last edited by torturo on Sep 20, 2016, 4:33:09 AM
Chris talked about "fixing" something no ARPG has fixed before. Makes me think of PvP. Can't really think of any ARPG with a GOOD PvP system. Maybe we'll get a little PvP-update? I feel bad for Leo, not really a popular guy...
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info